Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not your typical HVAC system., Looking for alternatives to conventional HVAC system.
Literati914
post Jul 14 2020, 11:40 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(frostyf @ Jul 13 2020, 06:46 PM) *

..; has anyone tried an alternate condensor to cutting the frunk floor?? Just wondered if there's scope to mount one in the engine lid (possibly a narrow condensor in a double 914-6 lid) and still isolate it from the hot engine compt air below - or is that just unrealistic??

I'd love to fit one but don't want to cut up the frunk?

If I remember @ClayPerrine mounted an AC condenser (from some model of 911?) under the engine lid with success.

Also - don't I remember some talk of someone adding AC to the inside of the fresh air box? Don't remember any of the details .. but that seems like a great idea if it could work. Me? I have two 914s that have both had the frunk floors cut for AC, but nothing else AC related - and I'm gonna have to have air in at least one!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
73-914
post Jul 14 2020, 11:54 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,651
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2020, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(ahycaramba @ Jul 12 2020, 08:44 PM) *
I like the ideal of electronically run ac and heating system that will not rob power from the engine.

That's not how physics works though. A large electrical current draw will still rob power from your engine.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I agree (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) You can neither create nor destroy energy, only change it's form
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 14 2020, 12:50 PM
Post #23

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 14 2020, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(frostyf @ Jul 13 2020, 06:46 PM) *

..; has anyone tried an alternate condensor to cutting the frunk floor?? Just wondered if there's scope to mount one in the engine lid (possibly a narrow condensor in a double 914-6 lid) and still isolate it from the hot engine compt air below - or is that just unrealistic??

I'd love to fit one but don't want to cut up the frunk?

If I remember @ClayPerrine mounted an AC condenser (from some model of 911?) under the engine lid with success.

Also - don't I remember some talk of someone adding AC to the inside of the fresh air box? Don't remember any of the details .. but that seems like a great idea if it could work. Me? I have two 914s that have both had the frunk floors cut for AC, but nothing else AC related - and I'm gonna have to have air in at least one!

I added an additional condenser in series with the one in the front trunk. It is from an 911 SC, and it mounts to the engine lid. With the R134a conversion, it helped to lower evaporator output temps to the point I could get the inside of her car down to the high 70s on a 100+ degree Texas summer day. I didn't remove the original condenser, I just supplemented it.

It makes the engine lid require a prop rod, but it does make the AC nice and cold. But there is not room on the engine lid for a condenser big enough to handle the whole load, and it will make the engine run hotter too.

+Quote Post
Carbon-14
post Jul 14 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 24,238
Region Association: Canada

Not your typical HVAC system

Attached Image
' Swamp Coolers ' or, more accurately,
' automotive evaporative adiabatic air conditioner ' : an electrical load on system, carrying a few gallons of water, filled regularly in summer, most useful in dry, hot conditions.
Works on chilling air-cooled engines too !
https://www.google.com/search?q=automotive+...=4Bhdw6yhOfMpiM
http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/35980
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/...-c-24392-3.html
https://www.et.byu.edu/~rowley/ChEn273/Topi...tric_Charts.htm
https://issuu.com/abccjack20/docs/thermodyn...gineering-appro
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/11/11/trop...rative-cooling/
Pulling an entire AC system from a wrecked van would work too, for a cheep compromise, though some reverse engineering would be required.
Driving the compressor's input shaft is the first task, a 12 volt electric compressor is an option, and a simpler solution if sourced easily.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-6740...BSABEgJzIPD_BwE
+Quote Post
Don Contreras
post Jul 14 2020, 06:36 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 19,898
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What options are there for A/C & heat for a 914 with V8?
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 15 2020, 07:17 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Don Contreras @ Jul 14 2020, 05:36 PM) *

What options are there for A/C & heat for a 914 with V8?

There are under dash units that support both AC and heat.
https://www.vintageair.com/
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 15 2020, 08:44 AM
Post #27

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) used with success here in a Subaru swap @76-914 Kent please fill in the details as you lived with a similar unit for years now.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 15 2020, 11:40 AM
Post #28

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 15 2020, 07:44 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) used with success here in a Subaru swap @76-914 Kent please fill in the details as you lived with a similar unit for years now.

@914forme Sure Stephan. BTW Steve has seen my setup. I went with the Vintage air unit because of the depth of that unit. Everything I found was 12" depth except for this one particular unit they sell that has a 10" depth. Even then it is a close fit. The closer is that you don't need to cut or drill new holes in your lower dash/knee pad. On the right side I bent one of there supplied straight hangers 90 degres. On the left, IIRC I bent another supplied hanger but more of an "L" shape. You use the OEM screws if long enough or a 6mm x 25mm x 1.25. Regardless, it fits the 914 like a glove and does not protrude past the knee pad. I can list the part # but AFAIK it is the only unit the sell with a 10" depth. A little under $500 whenI bought it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:16 AM