Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help; 1970 1.7l swap to a 74 1.8L, Having trouble getting it to run.
cbat
post Jul 14 2020, 07:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,495
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

We have been working on a 1970 which came with 1.8L in from a 1974 car (L-jetronic) .

When received the car would hardly run due to the distributor advance being frozen. After repairs, it ran better but still lacked power so we did the following. Checked all the tune-up specs again, which did not help. Then started replacing things in hopes that money might solve the problem...it didn't work either. The following were replaced; points, condenser, cap, rotor, new injectors, plugs, wires, coil, head temp sensor, fuel pump, filter, aux air valve, dual relay, rebuilt airflow sensor, and I am sure a few other things.

As mentioned, it was running but poorly. I was down to the engine wire harness so it was sent out for rebuilding. Now it will not run at all.

This is what I have checked so far:
Fuel pump: runs when hooked up directly to the battery but not with the ignition.
Checked voltage at pin 88d while cranking..nothing
Checked voltage at 88y and do have voltage all the time
Checked 86a and no voltage while cranking

Could I have a bad starter switch?

Is the older relay board not compatible with the L-Jet?

If you should have any idea what my next stop should be please let me know. I need to get the Garage Queen running...

I appreciate any and all guidance....
Chris

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ClayPerrine
post Jul 14 2020, 08:47 AM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(cbat @ Jul 14 2020, 08:26 AM) *

We have been working on a 1970 which came with 1.8L in from a 1974 car (L-jetronic) .

When received the car would hardly run due to the distributor advance being frozen. After repairs, it ran better but still lacked power so we did the following. Checked all the tune-up specs again, which did not help. Then started replacing things in hopes that money might solve the problem...it didn't work either. The following were replaced; points, condenser, cap, rotor, new injectors, plugs, wires, coil, head temp sensor, fuel pump, filter, aux air valve, dual relay, rebuilt airflow sensor, and I am sure a few other things.

As mentioned, it was running but poorly. I was down to the engine wire harness so it was sent out for rebuilding. Now it will not run at all.

Fuel pump: runs when hooked up directly to the battery but not with the ignition.

If you should have any idea what my next stop should be please let me know. I need to get the Garage Queen running...

Chris

All of the 914-4 relay boards are identical. With the L-Jet, you don't need any relays in the relay board for it to run.

Did you hook up the big red wire from the double relay to the battery?

Check your grounds.

Check to see if the yellow wire that exits the engine harness at the 12 pin connector end is hooked up correctly. It should hook to one of the rear two spade connectors of the 4 pin connector on the left rear of the relay board.

Disconnect the yellow wire from the starter. Turn the key to the start position and hold. You should hear the fuel pump run.

With the key in the on position, open the flap on the air flow meter, you should hear the fuel pump run.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cbat
post Jul 14 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,495
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 14 2020, 09:47 AM) *

Chris

All of the 914-4 relay boards are identical. With the L-Jet, you don't need any relays in the relay board for it to run.

Check your grounds.

Check to see if the yellow wire that exits the engine harness at the 12 pin connector end is hooked up correctly. It should hook to one of the rear two spade connectors of the 4 pin connector on the left rear of the relay board.

Disconnect the yellow wire from the starter. Turn the key to the start position and hold. You should hear the fuel pump run.

With the key in the on position, open the flap on the air flow meter, you should hear the fuel pump run.

Thank you for responding.

I cleaned the grounds in the engine bay, checked the pump with the ignition on with the AFM flap open, checked the yellow wire on the relay board is hooked up, red power supply wire is on the dual relay, disconnected the yellow wire from the starter and the pump still does not run.

If any help; when I take the black and red wire from the relay and touch to pos. side of battery pump works.

Regards,
Chris

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 14 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(cbat @ Jul 14 2020, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 14 2020, 09:47 AM) *

Chris

Check your grounds.

Thank you for responding.

I cleaned the grounds in the engine bay, checked the pump with the ignition on with the AFM flap open, checked the yellow wire on the relay board is hooked up, red power supply wire is on the dual relay, disconnected the yellow wire from the starter and the pump still does not run.

If any help; when I take the black and red wire from the relay and touch to pos. side of battery pump works.

Regards,
Chris

If you manually close the relay does the pump run?

Clay
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:38 AM