Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CIS blown airbox symptom, Was Big Bang thread last week
Kansas 914
post Jul 16 2020, 11:33 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This is a follow up to the BIG BANG thread where the pop off valve was blown to pieces.

I installed a new pop off valve in the existing airbox hoping it would be a quick fix. The car "starts" but doesn't "run". If this was a carbed car I would say it is running on the prime. Maybe the cold start valve is giving it gas to fire then stops? Is this fuel delivery issue (maybe it lead to a lean backfire) or blown airbox?

I am hesitant to pull all the CIS stuff off to get to the airbox as I know I will be in over my head. I have read a few 911 threads on removing the airbox and it is something I have never done. How do you get to the runners under the box (4 -5 6)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaA44-K30QA

Engine is a 2.7L from a 1976 911S

Thanks in advance!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 16 2020, 12:18 PM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Something else cracked or popped off. When CIS does that, it's usually because of a pretty large vacuum leak. Careful trying to start it while the leak is there, could go bang again.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 16 2020, 12:41 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 16 2020, 12:18 PM) *

Something else cracked or popped off. When CIS does that, it's usually because of a pretty large vacuum leak. Careful trying to start it while the leak is there, could go bang again.

Thanks!

I had hoped for a quick fix.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Jul 16 2020, 02:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

Make sure the big rubber boot is secure on both ends.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 16 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914Toy @ Jul 16 2020, 02:35 PM) *

Thanks.

I removed and reinstalled it on my first inspection - I will double check.

I assume you are referring to #12 in this picture?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 16 2020, 05:02 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

My thoughts right now are to remove the entire CIS and inspect everything.

I really like this car - it is so civilized to drive. It is mostly 911 (engine - suspension) with a heater and defroster which is important at 6600 above sea level.

I plan to yank it out in a lump like this. I am sure I will learn from this process.

Attached Image

Here is Rosebud (Raspberry) with newly backdated bumpers.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Jul 16 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 16 2020, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ Jul 16 2020, 02:35 PM) *

Thanks.

I removed and reinstalled it on my first inspection - I will double check.

I assume you are referring to #12 in this picture?

Attached Image

Yes, #12.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 17 2020, 06:42 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I'll chime in but let me be clear that I don't currently have a six with CIS in the car so I'm not speaking about a /6 with CIS from experience.

I'd revert to my usual postion that trying to work on the engine in the car is largely a lost cause for anthying other than basic maintenance.

Mid engine cars by their very nature, lend themselves to quick engine drops. As with the T4 engine, most work on the engine was intended to be performed by dropping the engine 1st.

At that point, everyting is much more accessible. For me it's just a sanity thing. I'd much rather have easy access than work laying off the trunk, scratching the paint, and contorting my neck head, and arms to try to work on it from the top side though the engine cover. The whole thing is is Hell Hole.

Once you've done it a few times, the engine can be dropped and/or reinstalled in about 75 minutes. I've heard of guys doing it in less time. I'm OCD about double checking things before I drop it and have it hang up on a forgotten item like the ground strap (been there done that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)) Obviously the 1st time or two takes longer.

Side note: Car looks GREAT!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 17 2020, 06:54 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 17 2020, 06:42 AM) *

I'll chime in but let me be clear that I don't currently have a six with CIS in the car so I'm not speaking about a /6 with CIS from experience.

I'd revert to my usual postion that trying to work on the engine in the car is largely a lost cause for anthying other than basic maintenance.

Mid engine cars by their very nature, lend themselves to quick engine drops. As with the T4 engine, most work on the engine was intended to be performed by dropping the engine 1st.

At that point, everyting is much more accessible. For me it's just a sanity thing. I'd much rather have easy access than work laying off the trunk, scratching the paint, and contorting my neck head, and arms to try to work on it from the top side though the engine cover. The whole thing is is Hell Hole.

Once you've done it a few times, the engine can be dropped and/or reinstalled in about 75 minutes. I've heard of guys doing it in less time. I'm OCD about double checking things before I drop it and have it hang up on a forgotten item like the ground strap (been there done that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)) Obviously the 1st time or two takes longer.

I don't hesitate to drop the drivetrain on my /4 and can do it in just over an hour, but the /6 intimidates me for some reason. I know the process is about the same. As a one man shop it makes thing tougher.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 17 2020, 07:09 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 17 2020, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 17 2020, 06:42 AM) *

I don't hesitate to drop the drivetrain on my /4 and can do it in just over an hour, but the /6 intimidates me for some reason. I know the process is about the same. As a one man shop it makes thing tougher.

Can totally appreciate that. In either case - you're letting the jack do the work so T4 vs. H6 is minimal difference w.r.t. physical work.

I really love my Tangerine lift plate for T4 Suspecting someone probably makes something similar for 911 H6. I'll either need to find one or make one when I finally do the H6 swap.

You could always rig up some extra straps from above to limit risk of engine cocking and/or falling. Better yet, get a buddy for a 2nd set of eyes and hands for the 1st drop.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 19 2020, 11:24 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 17 2020, 07:09 AM) *

Can totally appreciate that. In either case - you're letting the jack do the work so T4 vs. H6 is minimal difference w.r.t. physical work.

I really love my Tangerine lift plate for T4 Suspecting someone probably makes something similar for 911 H6. I'll either need to find one or make one when I finally do the H6 swap.

You could always rig up some extra straps from above to limit risk of engine cocking and/or falling. Better yet, get a buddy for a 2nd set of eyes and hands for the 1st drop.

I may resort to a drop - or partial drop. Really just now diffing into this. Hopefully I will kow more by the end of the afternoon.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 19 2020, 12:00 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

make sure off fuel delivery 1st..with air cleaner off lift the sensor plate you will hear , feel fuel flow.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 19 2020, 12:51 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 19 2020, 12:00 PM) *

make sure off fuel delivery 1st..with air cleaner off lift the sensor plate you will hear , feel fuel flow.

Thanks Jeff,

I have started removing CIS components. Glad I did. The back nut on #5 and #6 runners were finger tight.

I can't trust anything done before I bought it.

It will be a good learning exercise for me.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 19 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

[quote name='Kansas 914' date='Jul 19 2020, 12:51 PM' post='2835190']
[quote name='sixnotfour' post='2835176' date='Jul 19 2020, 12:00 PM']
[/quote]

I think this airbox has been repaired before...
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 19 2020, 02:12 PM
Post #15

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Mike,
I would suggest that you get a replacement airbox. False air (that's what it is called when the air bypasses the metering plate) will make the car run lean and can burn it up inside. Also, it is possible to warp the metering plate and/or bend the arm for the metering plate. Simplest solution would be to buy a used CIS system to get the parts. Or you could do an EFI conversion on it. There is a kit available that will convert it. The kit comes complete with the Megasquirt, the injector adapters, injectors, wiring and plumbing.

BitzRacing CIS to EFI kit

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.bitzracing.com-1143-1595189549.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 19 2020, 02:35 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 20 2020, 06:51 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 19 2020, 12:00 PM) *

Thanks Jeff,

I have started removing CIS components. Glad I did. The back nut on #5 and #6 runners were finger tight.

I can't trust anything done before I bought it.

It will be a good learning exercise for me.

Yes that will do it as I mentioned,I researched these motors as I was offered one @ a good price,the issue with loose plenum runners appear to be fairly common,the cure was to use thinner gaskets and locknuts if I remember correctly.
Looks like the airbox has been glued up with construction adhesive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) ,I don't know if finding a replacement will be too easy or cheap,you could take the part to a plastic repair guy and get it assessed for repair.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 19 2020, 02:59 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 19 2020, 02:12 PM) *

Mike,
I would suggest that you get a replacement airbox. False air (that's what it is called when the air bypasses the metering plate) will make the car run lean and can burn it up inside. Also, it is possible to warp the metering plate and/or bend the arm for the metering plate. Simplest solution would be to buy a used CIS system to get the parts. Or you could do an EFI conversion on it. There is a kit available that will convert it. The kit comes complete with the Megasquirt, the injector adapters, injectors, wiring and plumbing.

BitzRacing CIS to EFI kit

Hi Clay,

It is very tempting for sure. I looked at it and a friend here in town did that to his 2.7L CIS 911. I haven't ruled it out...

I have a line on a good used air box and also new one ($300).

Say Hi to Betty - cheers!
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 19 2020, 03:05 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 19 2020, 02:35 PM) *

Yes that will do it as I mentioned,I researched these motors as I was offered one @ a good price,the issue with loose plenum runners appear to be fairly common,the cure was to use thinner gaskets and locknuts if I remember correctly.
Looks like the airbox has been glued up with construction adhesive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) ,I don't know if finding a replacement will be too easy or cheap,you could take the part to a plastic repair guy and get it assessed for repair.
Good luck.

Thanks - I have a line on a good used air box ($200) and a brand new one ($300).

The more I dig into this motor things are loose - vacuum lines are suspect all could have been part of the problem. I have had this car for 3 years and it has been a champ until the CIS backfire. I went to lift the 4-5-6 side of the air box up and the boots fell off the air box.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
Jim2
post Jul 19 2020, 03:43 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 24,068
Region Association: None

Hi I'm from pelican. I had asked you about the status of your airbox because in the event it's boogered I likely have a good deal for you, if you are interested. The repair to your airbox doesn't look great but maybe it's just fine. If not speak up.

Jim

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 19 2020, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 19 2020, 02:35 PM) *

Good luck.

Thanks - I have a line on a good used air box ($200) and a brand new one ($300).

The more I dig into this motor things are loose - vacuum lines are suspect all could have been part of the problem. I have had this car for 3 years and it has been a champ until the CIS backfire. I went to lift the 4-5-6 side of the air box up and the boots fell off the air box.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 19 2020, 04:58 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Jim2 @ Jul 19 2020, 03:43 PM) *

Hi I'm from pelican. I had asked you about the status of your airbox because in the event it's boogered I likely have a good deal for you, if you are interested. The repair to your airbox doesn't look great but maybe it's just fine. If not speak up.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes I remember you from the Bird Board.

I am on the fence as to what direction to go. I don't trust the air box that was in the car nor do I trust anything related to the fuel management system. I will probably replace the air box - injector inserts - O-rings - runner boots and all vacuum lines.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 10:18 PM