Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laguna Blue '75 build
andrewck
post Sep 20 2020, 03:01 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,461
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Old bearing out, new bearing....stuck. Had these in the freezer over the last week, used grease, nothing!

On to plan B...bearing kit rental from Oreilly
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Sep 20 2020, 04:31 PM
Post #42

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Tough to tell for sure, but from the picture it looks like the bearing went in crooked. Decent chance that bearing won't be re-usable, so you prob want to have another on-hand in case...
+Quote Post
andrewck
post Sep 20 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(iankarr @ Sep 20 2020, 04:31 PM) *

Tough to tell for sure, but from the picture it looks like the bearing went in crooked. Decent chance that bearing won't be re-usable, so you prob want to have another on-hand in case...

Well a bearing press made easy work of re-inserting the bearing. Based off your comment, not sure it may be a great idea to reuse it. How will I know if I made a mistake in re-inserting it. It certainly didn't feel wobly or lose when I got it seated.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andrewck
post Oct 7 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(andrewck @ Sep 20 2020, 10:08 PM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Sep 20 2020, 04:31 PM) *

Well a bearing press made easy work of re-inserting the bearing. Based off your comment, not sure it may be a great idea to reuse it. How will I know if I made a mistake in re-inserting it. It certainly didn't feel wobly or lose when I got it seated.
Attached Image

Rotors, pads, and calipers installed. There is binding between pads and rotors, so will need to adjust the calipers...which I hear is not fun. Calipers won't sit flush to the trailing arm, so need to also figure out how to torque them down.

Had a friend help install the stainless fuel lines through the tunnel and in the engine compartment. Hope to get fuel lines installed this weekend and the fuel system buttoned up. One more thing off the list.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andrewck
post Oct 25 2020, 03:44 PM
Post #45

Got around to working on the replacement motor today. Turned it, and it spun 359 degrees, then stuck. Tried it again...same result. Pulled the motor apart and found this mess. It appears that a PO dropped a nut into the motor and at some point it went BOOM. But I was told the motor was good when it last ran...

At this point, I'm 0/2 on motors that came with this car. There is a 3rd motor, but I'm not willing to chance anything even though that motor turns over. Complete teardown and rebuild coming and I'll go to a shop for machine work. The question is do I go 2056 at this point? Will start calling shops in the Denver area starting tomorrow, and explore what my other options are.

To say I'm disappointed is putting it lightly.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andrewck
post May 11 2021, 05:59 PM
Post #46

It's been a while since I've posted progress, but the car has slowly been coming together. All parts ordered for the 2056 motor rebuild and assembly should start in the coming weeks.

Interior has been finished (perlon backing off ebay) and a newer carpet kit

LED headlight kit from 914Rubber arrived the other day and got install this morning

Ben's muffler arrived this afternoon, and....well you just have to see it to believe it. The welds are art and I feel bad to cover them up.

Excited for the next few weeks as things hopefully come together quickly
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:46 AM