Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> should I junk my fuel injection for my 1.7 for dual 44idf Webers, Fuel injection versus carbs
MrPurdy
post Jul 27 2020, 09:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,541
Region Association: Southern California

Hello,

I recently bought a 1973 Porsche 914 with a 1.7 and fuel injection. The car ran ok when first purchased, However, I went to start the car, it would not fire up. Got spark etc, but no fuel. I noticed most of the fuel injection wiring harness is brittle and or have cracked wires. I have tried cutting out the old wiring where I can, however to no such luck.I would like to keep the car fuel injected, however, I can't find where to buy a new wiring harness and or don't want to assume that is the only cause.

I recently have been discussing with other past owners of the 914 and two have said to go with Dual Weber 44's or 48's? if I went this route, do I need to change out my distributor and Cam? I know the fuel pump will need to be replaced.

I would like some input and or advise from someone who may have already traded out the fuel injection for carbs.

Lastly, Im an old VW guy and know carbs but the wiring on this fuel injection seems it could take me down the rabbit hole to more problems and cost.

Thanks

Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 30)
Tdskip
post Jul 28 2020, 07:21 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Welcome Mark! Lots of us here in SoCal.

Troubleshooting any FI system requires a methodical approach, if you aren’t up for that make the switch since you need to be able to maintain the car (and a non running car is no fun).

I’d personally give it a go with the FI, read the materials provided before making any decisions however.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 28 2020, 08:34 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

not in a million years. PLUS 44s are for racing only and 48s do not belong on any 914-4

QUOTE(MrPurdy @ Jul 27 2020, 08:00 AM) *

Hello,

I recently bought a 1973 Porsche 914 with a 1.7 and fuel injection. The car ran ok when first purchased, However, I went to start the car, it would not fire up. Got spark etc, but no fuel. I noticed most of the fuel injection wiring harness is brittle and or have cracked wires. I have tried cutting out the old wiring where I can, however to no such luck.I would like to keep the car fuel injected, however, I can't find where to buy a new wiring harness and or don't want to assume that is the only cause.

I recently have been discussing with other past owners of the 914 and two have said to go with Dual Weber 44's or 48's? if I went this route, do I need to change out my distributor and Cam? I know the fuel pump will need to be replaced.

I would like some input and or advise from someone who may have already traded out the fuel injection for carbs.

Lastly, Im an old VW guy and know carbs but the wiring on this fuel injection seems it could take me down the rabbit hole to more problems and cost.

Thanks

Mark

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 28 2020, 08:57 AM
Post #23

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My $.02 worth...
I bought my car in 1995 with 40 Dells, ran just ok, lots of gas smell and crappy mpg. Sourced a complete FI setup and in '98 junked the carbs and just figured out the Djet including tuning it. Since then the car has had me stranded once, in my driveway as the CHT died so it went full rich so no start.
Nowdays I have a 2056 with a better cam and big valves so it goes faster but still it is rock solid dependable. Hooked up all the fuel vapor stuff again so no gas smells which my wife loves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 28 2020, 09:40 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 28 2020, 08:51 AM) *

Carbs are like doing accounting with a pencil and paper.
D-Jet is like doing accounting with a mechanical calculator.
Current EFI (megasquirt) is like doing accounting with Microsoft Excel.

The accuracy and efficiency goes up with each new improvement.

Clay

Well said.

Modern EFI is already well beyond Megasquirt EFI with gasoline direct injection and small turbos producing high power density and high durability out of 2.0L engines that are making 250HP / 275 lb-ft of torque that would be unheard of out of a VW T4.

Love modern powertrains but there still is nothing like the clatter of a vintage air cooled engine, induction, and fan noises for me.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jul 28 2020, 09:43 AM
Post #25

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think there's a component of keeping any older car sort of original if possible. Wife has a 77' T1 and the L-Jet is pretty easy to diagnose. CIS is even easier. Most of the time it's a vacuum leak. Some hose with cracked ends or one that literally popped off etc.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Jul 28 2020, 10:22 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 17,589

Difference between FI and Carbs:

When FI breaks you stand there scratching your head. When carbs break you open your tool box and fix it on the spot. It's kind of like the stock market. If you can tolerate risk (being stranded without a clue as to what is wrong and how to fix it) then FI is for you. If you want reliability (with a slight loss of return) then carbs are the way to go.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Jul 28 2020, 10:42 AM
Post #27

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

I love opinion pieces.

I went from a functioning L-Jet system to 40IDF carbs on a 1911cc. Last year I went back to the FI. It just ran that much better. Better fuel economy and zero hassles. I'd stick with the FI. Get it working and you'll be happy you did.

If you want carbs I'd go with a pair of 40IDA's, and the flat six that comes with it...
+Quote Post
Jakester1
post Jul 28 2020, 11:03 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 22,032
Region Association: South East States

I had the same problem with my '71. The 4 white wires on the rear outer corner of the relay board are ground wires one of them being for the fuel pump. The wires ground on the engine cases. CLEAN the ground wires and the fuel pump might work. I've found most of the electrical problems on my car are from bad ground wires.
GOOD LUCK & KEEP THE FUEL INJECTION
You can always call Auto-Atlanta for help, they are always willing .
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jul 28 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #29

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 28 2020, 09:22 AM) *

When FI breaks you stand there scratching your head. When carbs break you open your tool box and fix it on the spot. It's kind of like the stock market. If you can tolerate risk (being stranded without a clue as to what is wrong and how to fix it) then FI is for you. If you want reliability (with a slight loss of return) then carbs are the way to go.

Ansbacher

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I mean im not on pelican but i dont think you
See may guys with djet on there 356.s
Arguably best car porsche ever built !!!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 28 2020, 02:18 PM
Post #30

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 28 2020, 11:22 AM) *

Ansbacher

Only if you don't understand fuel injection......

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 28 2020, 02:19 PM
Post #31

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 28 2020, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 28 2020, 09:22 AM) *

Ansbacher

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I mean im not on pelican but i dont think you
See may guys with djet on there 356.s
Arguably best car porsche ever built !!!

D-Jet didn't exist when the 356 was in production. And they have one at Zim's right now that they are fitting with replacement throttle bodies and megasquirt.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 03:23 AM