Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> If you have a 3.2 L Build would you still drive a 2 L or 1.7 L car in the garage?
Tdskip
post Aug 1 2020, 08:08 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Asking for a friend, this is a kind of ridiculous question given what’s going on in the world ....

Let’s imagine that this person had a civilized 3.2 L build, good manners and not high strong or overly jittery. Let us further imagine that this person also had a similarly civilized to your car and 1.7 L car, and just to make this a bit more apples to apples that those were also decent street cars that had good manners and we’re not overly tuned or jittery. Basically let’s assume that all three have stock interiors and shift decently and compliance suspensions etc. last assumption is that they all have a similar body condition so basically removing the variables except engine.

I know that a couple people here have multiple cars so there may be some first-hand experience with this question, but yes, trying to figure out if my 1973 1.7l and/or 2.0L car will end up sitting idle once the 3.2L is up and running.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts and hope everybody had a good week .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Coondog
post Aug 1 2020, 08:38 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Your going to get lots of options on this, personally I could never go back. In fact I am already looking for more power........Must be the Hot Rodder in me.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 1 2020, 08:40 AM
Post #3

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I own a 74 2.0 & a 70 six w/ a 77 2.7 911S engine. The six is faster but the four is very noticeably lighter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 1 2020, 08:43 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Type 4 sale
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Aug 1 2020, 09:41 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Well, there is a good chance that one will always be broken. Having two ensures you have a good one to go! Maybe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) My 2.3 four cylinder has been rock solid for years and years, knock on wood. My street legal 3.0 six track car (250 hp) has required quite a bit more tinkering. I can't make a direct comparison since my track car does not have the ability to roll up windows, nor a spare tire. So I don't like going far in the car, or being too far away from it when parked. I will have to say in a narrow body car with 205s you do not want too much horsepower. At some point it will likely get away from you. My six has always been flared with sticky 225s on 8" rims on the rear. Maybe around 200 horsepower is a good target.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 1 2020, 09:58 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Thanks for the thoughts.

I do really like the lightness of the 1.7 but I’m thinking the soon to be usable 912 may cover that. They do remind me of each other to drive.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 1 2020, 09:59 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Never... 200hp minimum for me.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Aug 1 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,763

While I am about to start the journey from a 4 to a 6, I did have a 4 in my 77 911 and I could not wait to get a flat 6 back into it. Maybe if the 4 was a big HP then I would have to think about it, but the 6 vs the 4 in my 911 I would never go back. Now, in the same token I did have a 2.0 in my 74 and had it not been overheating and me not have a spare 6 cyl I probably would have just fixed and reinstalled the 2.0 or even a 2056 and left it as is.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Aug 1 2020, 11:21 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have both (see below) with the 2.0L and 3.2L motors not far from stock. Both are narrow bodied 1974s, look basically stock, and neither are daily drivers. I have no particular preference and drive and work on both about equally. Different personalities and joys to them. The "sleeper" 3.2 with a 915/916 transaxle definitely has more power and makes music in my ears (no radio) but the 2.0L does have a more nimble go-kart like feel to it. I call it "slingability". If I had to sell one, the 3.2L would probably go first.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 1 2020, 11:22 AM
Post #10

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Think about it . circa 1970s daily commute , grocery getter the 1.7 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Modern day same truth still applies . if you want the car for pleasure ... A 3.2 with that 11blade fan spinning is more for pleasure ( no replacement for displacement) . but you dont really need all that for going to walgreens or a breakfeast joint .

1.7 is the most user friendly platform in a mid engine cars . does just about everything well . 1st timers can handle its quirkyness and good drivers can make it hum

3.2 . you always need to be prepared to stop quickly and its just a hassel constantly trying to stay under 100mph (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) 3.2 in the wrong hands = widow maker
1.7 in the wrong hands ....pretty harmless

And maintence cost /6 vs 4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) i think you already know how that turns out
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Aug 1 2020, 11:27 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Drove my 1.8l for 4 years before I put a 3.2l in it....would never go back. The power and quickness just always makes me smile.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 1 2020, 11:46 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Variety is the spice of life.

Motorcyle analogy.

I have a 1998 Superhawk996 (obsolete by modern standards) that is 100 HP. More than enough to get me in trouble with the law. Fun wheelie machine. Handles reasonably well. Comfortable to ride on the street unlike my 600 CBR that I used to race.

I also have a 1964 Honda Dream 250cc that maybe makes 20HP on a good day. Riding it takes lots of advance thinking (drum brakes suck!) but it takes you back to a different time when life seemed simpler.

Both are a joy to ride but for completely different reasons.

I've found the same to be true of cars.

Performance EV's have their merits. You can't touch that kind brutal acceleration with an ICE engine (short of track only drag cars) but they lack soul.

A flat six screaming with fan noises, induction, and exhaust has soul but can't touch a modern performance EV for raw acceleration.

Which one you drive depends entirely on what sort of mood you're in and what the task at hand is; Grocery getting vs. performance driving.

So although I'm not lucky enough to have both a 3.2L teener and a 1.7L in the garage - I can honestly say I would drive both and could enjoy each for what it is.
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Aug 1 2020, 11:54 AM
Post #13

Robert

Member No.: 3,898
Region Association: Northern California

I had a 3.2..... the very vest..... until something would go wrong with it. Then, it's like performing brain surgery to fix it.

Had a stock 1.7...... weaker than anything on earth, but I miss it. It puuuurrrrred.

Now drive a 2056, and it's perfect for me.

My advice? Don't ever..... EVER drive a 3.2. Once you do, nothing will be the same.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 1 2020, 11:58 AM
Post #14

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(BuddyV @ Aug 1 2020, 10:54 AM) *

I had a 3.2..... the very vest..... until something would go wrong with it. Then, it's like performing brain surgery to fix it.

Had a stock 1.7...... weaker than anything on earth, but I miss it. It puuuurrrrred.

Now drive a 2056, and it's perfect for me.

My advice? Don't ever..... EVER drive a 3.2. Once you do, nothing will be the same.

Just like dont ever date a pliates instructor
( paul gasol )
Something go's wrong . its hard to fill the void (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 1 2020, 01:35 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Great discussion gentlemen, appreciate the feedback.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 1 2020, 02:08 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

How many people are unhappy with a six and go back to a four?

The sixes take a fun car and add an iconic engine. It's a match made in heaven.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Aug 1 2020, 03:22 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 17,338

I wish I had this problem to worry about!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 1 2020, 04:12 PM
Post #18

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

We have a /4, a stock /6 and a big /6 with mega HP.

Each has it's quirks and strengths. The big six is great for hauling @ss, but it has a heavy clutch, so rush hour traffic is a bitch. The factory six is a mellow car, it doesn't compare with the /4 for drivability or comfort (AC vs no AC on the six). I like the /4 when running to the store, and we use it for the grocery runs. (I miss the little orange monster.... I hope he is back home soon.)

Each is different, and each is fun in its own way. They are all 914s, but they are all different. And I love driving them all!

Clay
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Aug 1 2020, 04:39 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 20,499
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Aug 1 2020, 02:22 PM) *

I wish I had this problem to worry about!

Haha! I had to wait till retirement. Now wondering when I'll no longer be able to get into them.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 1 2020, 04:50 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 1 2020, 03:08 PM) *

How many people are unhappy with a six and go back to a four?

That’s good perspective.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:58 AM