Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If you have a 3.2 L Build would you still drive a 2 L or 1.7 L car in the garage?
Tdskip
post Aug 1 2020, 05:04 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Aug 1 2020, 04:22 PM) *

I wish I had this problem to worry about!

Yeah, I honestly wrestled a bit with even asking because I didn’t want to be obnoxious.

I do realize that I am very lucky to be in a position to even think about this sort of thing...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 1 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 1 2020, 10:22 AM) *

Think about it . circa 1970s daily commute , grocery getter the 1.7 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Modern day same truth still applies . if you want the car for pleasure ... A 3.2 with that 11blade fan spinning is more for pleasure ( no replacement for displacement) . but you dont really need all that for going to walgreens or a breakfeast joint .

1.7 is the most user friendly platform in a mid engine cars . does just about everything well . 1st timers can handle its quirkyness and good drivers can make it hum

3.2 . you always need to be prepared to stop quickly and its just a hassel constantly trying to stay under 100mph (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) 3.2 in the wrong hands = widow maker
1.7 in the wrong hands ....pretty harmless

And maintence cost /6 vs 4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) i think you already know how that turns out

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Most modern cars are faster than a 3.2 914. Are you driving a Prius? Most modern cars have over 200hp. A 3.2 is not that fast. A modern BMW or Mustang is faster and more dangerous power wise. I do all my own maintenance work, so maintenance on my 3.2 is cheap. 3.2 DME injection is much easier to troubleshoot than 914 fuel injection. I have Boxster brakes on all four corners, so stopping is not a problem, but a modern car will stop better with Anti Lock Brakes. I also have no problems staying under a 100. The main benefit of a 3.2 is getting there quicker and more torque. My 3.2 engine is a 1984 engine, never overhauled and has over 300,000 miles on it. I think I am getting my moneys worth out of it. If you want exotic car performance you need at least a 3.6.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 1 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #23

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 1 2020, 04:33 PM) *

Think about it . circa 1970s daily commute , grocery getter the 1.7 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Modern day same truth still applies . if you want the car for pleasure ... A 3.2 with that 11blade fan spinning is more for pleasure ( no replacement for displacement) . but you dont really need all that for going to walgreens or a breakfeast joint .

1.7 is the most user friendly platform in a mid engine cars . does just about everything well . 1st timers can handle its quirkyness and good drivers can make it hum

3.2 . you always need to be prepared to stop quickly and its just a hassel constantly trying to stay under 100mph (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) 3.2 in the wrong hands = widow maker

And maintence cost /6 vs 4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) i think you already know how that turns out

Most modern cars are faster than a 3.2 914. Are you driving a Prius? Most modern cars have over 200hp. A 3.2 is not that fast. A modern BMW or Mustang is faster and more dangerous power wise. I do all my own maintenance work, so maintenance on my 3.2 is cheap. 3.2 DME injection is much easier to troubleshoot than 914 fuel injection. I have Boxster brakes on all four corners, so stopping is not a problem, but a modern car will stop better with Anti Lock Brakes. I also have no problems staying under a 100. The main benefit of a 3.2 is getting there quicker and more torque. My 3.2 engine is a 1984 engine, never overhauled and has over 300,000 miles on it. I think I am getting my moneys worth out of it. If you want exotic car performance you need at least a 3.6.

Hey . lets get something stright i dont drive no prius. Its a ( scion xb) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) so slower

And if i had /6 conversion i would want it long gearing not quick acceleration

And of course a new m3 s faster but still not many out there faster then a 3.2 conversion that are rear or mid engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Ive seen 1 new alfa ? I think it was a alfa 4c .
( pos )basically
The guy had to really work to pass me .

And then he had to adjust his rear view from all the reflections of his gold chains (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 1 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 1 2020, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 1 2020, 04:33 PM) *

Hey . lets get something stright i dont drive no prius. Its a ( scion xb) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) so slower

And if i had /6 conversion i would want it long gearing not quick acceleration

And of course a new m3 s faster but still not many out there faster then a 3.2 conversion that are rear or mid engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Ive seen 1 new alfa ? I think it was a alfa 4c .
( pos )basically
The guy had to really work to pass me .

And then he had to adjust his rear view from all the reflections of his gold chains (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

You are correct, I am running a stock 3.2 915 gear box, so my gears are taller. A 914 gear box is much quicker, but you shift more often. That is better on the track but sucks on the street. My daily driver is a Toyota GT86
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Aug 1 2020, 07:21 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Gotta agree with Steve, 200HP is just about standard for everything coming off the car lots these days and there automatics which shift faster. It’s when the 3.2 power curve hooks up in 2 to 3 gear when you can say good bye to the Mercedes E300 but certainly not from red light to red light.........I should know. Been there done that.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 1 2020, 07:45 PM
Post #26

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Let's see now. I drove my '76 type 4 every chance I got. Took it to two RRC's in CO, multiple "Dawn Patrol" rides and God knows how many local 914 events. Then that damned Mike @MoveQik gave me a ride in his six. I was hooked. Since converting the '73, albeit a Subaru 6, the '76 has been driven less than 300 miles in 6 yr's. And those were by people that I loaned the car to. In essence, my first love is now the proverbial "red headed step child" and is only started every 2 weeks. Why I keep it licensed and insured is beyond me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 1 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I appreciate the idea of variety, although it is imaginary for me until I get done restoring my 73 2.0. I look forward to driving that and enjoying the classic (i.e. slow) speed but light, minimalist chassis. When I want more absolute performance, I have my 2017 991 C2.

I wonder if slow vs fast 914 is enough variety.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 1 2020, 08:55 PM
Post #28

Time to settle this .

Anyone with a 3.2 still put 2 full size golf bags in the back trunk ? ( not sunday bags ) or would even take it to the driving range

Advantage /4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

I keep golf bags in my trunk . not the front seat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 1 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

I don't have a 4cyl car but if I did I would like the economy of the FI 2.0 against the consumption of a carbed six,they drink like a sailor in home port and that to me is the only downside ,they are a bunch of fun besides,you will never go back.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 1 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

I’m not putting down the stock 4 cars. There just not for me. I have seen some really nice stock 914-4’s, bugs, Karman Gia’s, Bus’s, 356’s etc. People take them to cars&coffee and have a huge Following. It is sad though... when I built my six back in 87, my car was very rare and a total sleeper. Now the conversions are dime a dozen.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Aug 1 2020, 09:45 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 1 2020, 07:55 PM) *

Time to settle this .

Anyone with a 3.2 still put 2 full size golf bags in the back trunk ? ( not sunday bags ) or would even take it to the driving range

I keep golf bags in my trunk . not the front seat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

What’s a 3.2 got to do with rear trunk space......., (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

If I had a 4cyl setting next to my 3.2 I would sell it and punch my motor out to a 3.4...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 1 2020, 09:59 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 2 2020, 02:55 PM) *

Time to settle this .

Jeez man go out and drive a six powered car and come back with a better reply...no one mentioned golf bags as far as I remember...…
My daily driver handles the larger cargo jobs for me.
Stop making statements basing on nothing really,cheers.

+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 1 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #33

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 1 2020, 09:45 PM) *

Time to settle this .

What’s a 3.2 got to do with rear trunk space......., (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

If I had a 4cyl setting next to my 3.2 I would sell it and punch my motor out to a 3.4...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) :headbanger:your clubs must be short ..frunk is way more useful for me..
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 2 2020, 02:08 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 1 2020, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 1 2020, 09:45 PM) *

Time to settle this .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) :headbanger:your clubs must be short ..frunk is way more useful for me..

Almost every conversion eats into the rear trunk space some how

And my clubs are actually inch and a half over standard
They fit fine in the back trunk.
Front trunk . dont think so

And for the lolly gagger. from new Zealand
( meat )
I dont wanna drive a 6/ its way too fast sleek and expensive for me . Im happy as a big 4/

And since i think this is still america ... I'll make all the baseless claims i want and anyone with a problem can cry all they Want

Or slap me with a glove and challenge me to a dual .

That was your 1st lesson ( meat )

Dont think . you can only hurt the ball (club) / ( world)

And since im sure no one told you before
Strike outs are boring and besides that there fascist
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 2 2020, 07:23 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Good morning.

Pretty sure we can discuss this while all remaining civil, or at least I hope so.

After some driving yesterday and this thread I’ve reached a decision that I am going to sell the ‘73 1.7 and finish a good mechanical build on one of the 2.0L cars (suspension and swaybars and refreshed engine) but skip the cosmetics on it so I’ll have it drive once it cools off here in SoCal.

That will free up some funds to push the 3.2L ahead, ideally having it to drive this fall as well.

I have a feeling, as you all have suggested, drive them back to back will tell me pretty quickly where my heart and interest is. If the 2.0L still soaks to me I’ll get the paint and interior work done.

Thank you all again for being patient with the somewhat ridiculous initial question, I appreciate the shared experiences.
+Quote Post
john77
post Aug 2 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 17,027

My 2.7RS doesn't eat into the trunk space. But then I don't play golf, so I guess it's wasted on me.

Not exactly what you asked, because I don't have a 4, but I do have a straight 4 in my 2002tii. As other have noted, the one I drive tends to depend on which one is actually running, but in some imaginary utopia where at least one of them wasn't in pieces I'd probably pick the 914 nine times out of ten because 2nd gear up the on ramp will never cease to put a huge grin on my face.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 2 2020, 06:56 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 2 2020, 07:45 PM) *

My 2.7RS doesn't eat into the trunk space. But then I don't play golf, so I guess it's wasted on me.

Not exactly what you asked, because I don't have a 4, but I do have a straight 4 in my 2002tii. As other have noted, the one I drive tends to depend on which one is actually running, but in some imaginary utopia where at least one of them wasn't in pieces I'd probably pick the 914 nine times out of ten because 2nd gear up the on ramp will never cease to put a huge grin on my face.

Uh oh - almost have the engine back in the ‘74 Tii....

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Aug 2 2020, 07:11 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

While I dont have a 3.2 I do have 4 other 914s built to various performance levels. Oddly enough its my stock 1.7 d-jet car that I have racked up the most miles on in the last few years. Its just a very enjoyable, balanced, relaxing ride.

If you think about it, in a 914 you dont need to slow down for much and when driving any car you can only accelerate so much before you are going faster than you should be anyways. So how often is that power usefull. Yeah power is fun but i find if I am not racing i really dont get to many opportunities to use it. In some ways having the power can even be frustrating, when I take my built (pulls to 7k) 2056 autocross car out on the street I always have the urge to wind it out but find myself quickly running out of road to the point of mild frustration.

Really depends on what you are using it for, but yes, i find myself putting a lot of time in with my 1.7
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 2 2020, 07:26 PM
Post #39

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I used to enjoy driving my 1.7 around town but hated it on the highway. Too slow to accelerate with traffic. Once it was up to speed, it was fine.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 2 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #40

[quote name='john77' date='Aug 2 2020, 05:45 PM' post='2839332']

I dont get to golf much but its something a 914 has over other cars of mid engine config

The reason i got my car was that its a 4 cyclinder
And still considered a volkswagen like my 1st car . Baja bug

Im into the whole n .a.r.p thing . its a little tougher to be n.a..r.p. When you have a /6

But people should post pics of their /6 conversions
As im a huge fan of porsche fans . not pancake cooling but you cant have it all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:36 AM