Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If you have a 3.2 L Build would you still drive a 2 L or 1.7 L car in the garage?
john77
post Aug 2 2020, 10:02 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 2 2020, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 2 2020, 07:45 PM) *

My 2.7RS doesn't eat into the trunk space. But then I don't play golf, so I guess it's wasted on me.

Not exactly what you asked, because I don't have a 4, but I do have a straight 4 in my 2002tii. As other have noted, the one I drive tends to depend on which one is actually running, but in some imaginary utopia where at least one of them wasn't in pieces I'd probably pick the 914 nine times out of ten because 2nd gear up the on ramp will never cease to put a huge grin on my face.

Uh oh - almost have the engine back in the ‘74 Tii....

Hahaha... get ready for something to give on the 914.

Seriously, in 5 years they've barely been in my garage at the same time - maybe 2 months max. Like you said, it's a nice problem to have, although I wonder why sometimes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have a 2.7l stroker with throttle bodies being built for a wide body 2002 I've been building. No doubt as soon as that fires up the 914 will spontaneously combust...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 2 2020, 10:02 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JamesM @ Aug 2 2020, 08:11 PM) *

While I dont have a 3.2 I do have 4 other 914s built to various performance levels. Oddly enough its my stock 1.7 d-jet car that I have racked up the most miles on in the last few years. Its just a very enjoyable, balanced, relaxing ride.

If you think about it, in a 914 you dont need to slow down for much and when driving any car you can only accelerate so much before you are going faster than you should be anyways. So how often is that power usefull. Yeah power is fun but i find if I am not racing i really dont get to many opportunities to use it. In some ways having the power can even be frustrating, when I take my built (pulls to 7k) 2056 autocross car out on the street I always have the urge to wind it out but find myself quickly running out of road to the point of mild frustration.

Really depends on what you are using it for, but yes, i find myself putting a lot of time in with my 1.7

They don’t all have to be screamers, exactly.

Thanks for the thoughts.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 2 2020, 10:04 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Seriously, in 5 years they've barely been in my garage at the same time - maybe 2 months max. Like you said, it's a nice problem to have, although I wonder why sometimes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have a 2.7l stroker with throttle bodies being built for a wide body 2002 I've been building. No doubt as soon as that fires up the 914 will spontaneously combust...

Shhhhhh! Don’t let the cars hear you.

I am hoping the Tiii and 914 are very distinct, they should be.
+Quote Post
john77
post Aug 2 2020, 10:04 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 2 2020, 08:43 PM) *

Im into the whole n .a.r.p thing . its a little tougher to be n.a..r.p. When you have a /6

Try telling that to some of the 911 guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
john77
post Aug 2 2020, 10:09 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 2 2020, 09:04 PM) *

Shhhhhh! Don’t let the cars hear you.

I am hoping the Tiii and 914 are very distinct, they should be.

Haha.

Yeah, I think the tii is great for relaxed cruising. The 914 makes me want to drive it hard all the time.

Do you have a 5 speed in the tii? I found that helped a ton. When I got mine it had a 4 speed and by the time I hit 60 on the freeway it felt like I was driving with the handbrake on.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 2 2020, 11:32 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 2 2020, 08:08 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 1 2020, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 1 2020, 09:45 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 1 2020, 07:55 PM) *

Time to settle this .

Anyone with a 3.2 still put 2 full size golf bags in the back trunk ? ( not sunday bags ) or would even take it to the driving range

Advantage /4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

I keep golf bags in my trunk . not the front seat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

What’s a 3.2 got to do with rear trunk space......., (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

If I had a 4cyl setting next to my 3.2 I would sell it and punch my motor out to a 3.4...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) :headbanger:your clubs must be short ..frunk is way more useful for me..

Almost every conversion eats into the rear trunk space some how

And my clubs are actually inch and a half over standard
They fit fine in the back trunk.
Front trunk . dont think so

And for the lolly gagger. from new Zealand
( meat )
I dont wanna drive a 6/ its way too fast sleek and expensive for me . Im happy as a big 4/

And since i think this is still america ... I'll make all the baseless claims i want and anyone with a problem can cry all they Want

Or slap me with a glove and challenge me to a dual .

That was your 1st lesson ( meat )

Dont think . you can only hurt the ball (club) / ( world)

And since im sure no one told you before
Strike outs are boring and besides that there fascist

What do you expect ??? I'am now a homosexual and a racist,shi# man I have been called way more that that before,water off a ducks back to me.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 3 2020, 06:10 AM
Post #47

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 3 2020, 12:32 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Aug 2 2020, 08:08 PM) *

And since im sure no one told you before
Strike outs are boring and besides that there fascist

What do you expect ??? I'am now a homosexual and a racist,shi# man I have been called way more that that before,water off a ducks back to me.

Guys... you are rapidly moving into religion/politics territory. I let the first comment go thinking everyone would ignore it. So let's not start down this path. Nothing good will come of it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/post-2-1137106233.gif)

Clay
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Aug 3 2020, 07:50 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Solves it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 3 2020, 11:07 AM
Post #49

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

It seemed like I was always working on my drivetrain when my car was a 2.0 - 2270 - 2.4 Type IV. Now, I change oil and adjust valves on the 3.2 twice a year and polish, lots of polish... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Completely reliable now...
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 3 2020, 11:16 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 2 2020, 11:09 PM) *

Yeah, I think the tii is great for relaxed cruising. The 914 makes me want to drive it hard all the time.

Do you have a 5 speed in the tii? I found that helped a ton. When I got mine it had a 4 speed and by the time I hit 60 on the freeway it felt like I was driving with the handbrake on.

Thanks for the response.

I have a Getrag 240 (with mechanical speedo) going in, seemed worth doing which your comments confirm.

BTW - are you on 2002Faq? I am tdskip there too....
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 3 2020, 11:17 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 3 2020, 12:07 PM) *

It seemed like I was always working on my drivetrain when my car was a 2.0 - 2270 - 2.4 Type IV. Now, I change oil and adjust valves on the 3.2 twice a year and polish, lots of polish... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Completely reliable now...

Good feedback, thanks!
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 3 2020, 11:43 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

Whoa man, this is a first world problem... and I have the same conversations in my head. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I have an amazing 914 2.0 that's the cats tits, owned for over 20yrs, I'm the second owner, everything works exactly right all the time on it, I'd drive it anywhere at the drop of a hat, it's been as reliable and dependable as it could get and it's dialed in.

Then I got my conversion car in March...oh man, 3.8 RS spec '97 engine, 915 with WEVO, everything is 10/10ths, like everything... Its like a drug, the more I drive it the more I want to drive it, it does things in ways that never cease to put a smile on my face.

Now my amazing 2.0 mostly sits next to it... starting to think I need to let it go but it's been like a member of the family for so long I have a real hard time even putting a price on it. Its no slouch, even compared to the conversion car but you'd have to be "all in" on every turn to even keep up...

Once bitten by the /6 thing its hard to go back, even when the /4 is real good...
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 3 2020, 11:47 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

^^ that being said, as I'm sitting here thinking, not sure I'd jump in my 6 and make a 8hr drive, where my /4 is actually totally good for that

*edit, but if I had a super quiet exhaust on mine like @Steve has on his I'd be all in on that too...
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 3 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #54

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 3 2020, 06:50 AM) *

You gettin all this

https://youtu.be/M6RtVmLq2Z0

I guess youre from Georgia

And i was the most hated man in baseball .

Ty.cobb (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 3 2020, 01:28 PM
Post #55

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 3 2020, 01:47 PM) *

^^ that being said, as I'm sitting here thinking, not sure I'd jump in my 6 and make a 8hr drive, where my /4 is actually totally good for that

*edit, but if I had a super quiet exhaust on mine like @Steve has on his I'd be all in on that too...

Let me know where to send one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
@eric9144

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 3 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #56

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 3 2020, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 3 2020, 01:47 PM) *

Let me know where to send one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
@eric9144

Worth every penny!! I built my car for road trips. GTS Lemans seat, Bens quiet muffler, stock 911 torsion bars and stock 915 gear box. total cruiser.
+Quote Post
john77
post Aug 3 2020, 01:41 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 3 2020, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 2 2020, 11:09 PM) *

Thanks for the response.

I have a Getrag 240 (with mechanical speedo) going in, seemed worth doing which your comments confirm.

BTW - are you on 2002Faq? I am tdskip there too....

Yeah, the 5 speed was hands down the best upgrade I ever did on that car.

I'm not on 2002Faq, but it's mainly because I'm good friends with Le Tran who owns 2002Garagewerks (I rent a space in his shop - that's where I'm building my alpina works tribute) and so when I have really dumb ass questions rather than going on a forum I just walk around the corner into the main shop and bug the hell out of him instead. He knows nothing about the idiosyncrasies of porsches though, so 914world didn't get so lucky. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 4 2020, 07:24 AM
Post #58

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

The joy of the 914 is the interaction with the car. A /4 and a /6 deliver that joy equally but in different ways.

For whatever reason, the 914 resonates more than a 924, 944, even a Boxster. Haven't driven a 912, but the 911 to me wasn't nearly what rodded 914/6 delivers with the same motor. The 993 was different.

For 50 years and still going, 914s have delivered on the imaginations of dreamers, and have met people economically where they are.

In no better sense, the 914 has been the people's Porsche - which is what it's all about.

I can't speak to a /4 vs /6 - I have both currently, and appreciate both very much. I know this for me, the 914 has always been special.

I was a 6 yo when my Dad bought my /4 secondhand. I am seeking that pleasure again even though 0-60 will give me time to dream of /6.

My dream stable will always be Dad's car in its finest form, and a road hardened /6 that only delivers a smile to the person holding the steering wheel.

I hope that answers nothing.

+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 4 2020, 07:28 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 3 2020, 02:41 PM) *

Yeah, the 5 speed was hands down the best upgrade I ever did on that car.

I'm not on 2002Faq, but it's mainly because I'm good friends with Le Tran who owns 2002Garagewerks (I rent a space in his shop - that's where I'm building my alpina works tribute) and so when I have really dumb ass questions rather than going on a forum I just walk around the corner into the main shop and bug the hell out of him instead. He knows nothing about the idiosyncrasies of porsches though, so 914world didn't get so lucky. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Lucky you! He runs a great shop and is on my shortlist of people to get help from if I can’t dial the Tii properly

+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 4 2020, 07:31 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Aug 4 2020, 08:24 AM) *

The joy of the 914 is the interaction with the car. A /4 and a /6 deliver that joy equally but in different ways.

For whatever reason, the 914 resonates more than a 924, 944, even a Boxster. Haven't driven a 912, but the 911 to me wasn't nearly what rodded 914/6 delivers with the same motor. The 993 was different.

For 50 years and still going, 914s have delivered on the imaginations of dreamers, and have met people economically where they are.

In no better sense, the 914 has been the people's Porsche - which is what it's all about.

I can't speak to a /4 vs /6 - I have both currently, and appreciate both very much. I know this for me, the 914 has always been special.

I was a 6 yo when my Dad bought my /4 secondhand. I am seeking that pleasure again even though 0-60 will give me time to dream of /6.

My dream stable will always be Dad's car in its finest form, and a road hardened /6 that only delivers a smile to the person holding the steering wheel.

I hope that answers nothing.

All perspective helps, thanks for the post.

Like our 914s you can build pretty much any style of 912 that you want. Ones that haven’t been “built” have a delicate/light/happy demeanor that the 73 1.7 reminds me of.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:33 PM