Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much torque is too much?, Removing fan yoke
ctc911ctc
post Aug 2 2020, 09:00 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Hit it with the mapp torch for 60 sec, hammered around a few times, still on tight,,,

Since heat differential is what we want-yoke vs. shaft, what is the right amount of time to apply mapp?

Thank you!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 2 2020, 09:35 AM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Is the puller going through the bore of the flange ?? Looks to big in diameter to go through....put the bolt in it and back off a couple turns , and push on the head , with puller..
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 2 2020, 10:18 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Yowza -- can see deformation of the hub from the hammering. Using soft face hammer?

Bottom line 60 seconds of heat is nowhere near enough. You want that part to get up to 250-350 degrees. Hot! So hot that you wouldn't want to pick it up immediately even with thin leather gloves. Sort of hard to explain. You're not shooting for red hot, that is way too much. If you were to put a drop of penetrating oil on it while it's hot, it should be hot enough to smoke that oil.

As stated above make sure the puller isn't interfering. Doesn't look like it to me unless the solid material at the base of the thread is one of those tapered points - I'm assuming that is the crank nose that I see. I have a small plate of thick hardened washers that I put on the crank nose so the puller isn't bearing directly on the counterbore of the crank and/or at risk of messing up threads in the crank nose. That elimantes some of the apprehension about putting more torque on the puller for me.

Bolt in hole could work too but beware then all tension is on the bolt threads. I've seen it work and I've even done it this way a few times myself when I have too, but, I don't really like to put that load on threads like that.

That one seems to be a real bear -- keep fighting the good fight.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 2 2020, 10:43 AM
Post #24

914 Wizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZU_-BLDNAU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZU_-BLDNAU

+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 2 2020, 10:56 AM
Post #25

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

At least 5 minutes I would say, but @superhawk996 is right... it's a feel thing. I'd bet it's the woodruff key in the slot that's gluing things together.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Aug 2 2020, 10:56 AM
Post #26

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

double post
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 2 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Like the video and special tool. The principle is sound as long as the plate is thick enough and/or hardened enough to not deform.

Marriage advice. Don't do that heat treating on the kitchen stove. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I've never had to resort to this but I'll put it in the bag of potential tricks!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 2 2020, 11:02 AM
Post #28

914 Wizard

I shouldn't even respond ..but..my motto.. type4sale
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 2 2020, 11:11 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 2 2020, 01:02 PM) *

I shouldn't even respond ..but..my motto.. type4sale

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

That's funny but after having also dug into the 2.4L six, it's not like that engine is any simpler to work on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) After having worked to get 24 of those crazy barrel nut head studs loosened, I know understand why 911 motor rebuilds are so time intensive. Don't get me started on my current bearing situation with the H6. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Aug 2 2020, 11:12 AM
Post #30

I have 6 pullers of various size, this puller has the bolt part that fits perfectly within the shaft (without touching the threads) and has the arms off of the smallest puller so they fit on the ears of the yoke.

Thank you!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 2 2020, 09:35 AM) *

Is the puller going through the bore of the flange ?? Looks to big in diameter to go through....put the bolt in it and back off a couple turns , and push on the head , with puller..
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Aug 2 2020, 11:16 AM
Post #31

OK, more heat - less hammer!

BTW, the marks that are in the picture seem to be from when the part was made - there are a few flat spots on the edge of the yoke in various places.

Thank you SH!

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 2 2020, 10:18 AM) *

Yowza -- can see deformation of the hub from the hammering. Using soft face hammer?

Bottom line 60 seconds of heat is nowhere near enough. You want that part to get up to 250-350 degrees. Hot! So hot that you wouldn't want to pick it up immediately even with thin leather gloves. Sort of hard to explain. You're not shooting for red hot, that is way too much. If you were to put a drop of penetrating oil on it while it's hot, it should be hot enough to smoke that oil.

As stated above make sure the puller isn't interfering. Doesn't look like it to me unless the solid material at the base of the thread is one of those tapered points - I'm assuming that is the crank nose that I see. I have a small plate of thick hardened washers that I put on the crank nose so the puller isn't bearing directly on the counterbore of the crank and/or at risk of messing up threads in the crank nose. That elimantes some of the apprehension about putting more torque on the puller for me.

Bolt in hole could work too but beware then all tension is on the bolt threads. I've seen it work and I've even done it this way a few times myself when I have too, but, I don't really like to put that load on threads like that.

That one seems to be a real bear -- keep fighting the good fight.

+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 2 2020, 11:18 AM
Post #32

914 Wizard

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Aug 2 2020, 11:12 AM) *

I have 6 pullers of various size, this puller has the bolt part that fits perfectly within the shaft (without toughing the threads) and has the arms off of the smallest puller so they fit on the ears of the yoke.

Thank you!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 2 2020, 09:35 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) wow that thing is tight
+Quote Post
bobboinski
post Aug 2 2020, 11:31 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 19,929
Region Association: Northern California

I have been successful doing this by getting the puller tight then smacking the top of the bolt on the puller with a hammer.
+Quote Post
bobboinski
post Aug 2 2020, 11:40 AM
Post #34

I just looked back at your puller. I use a steering wheel type puller so that I am pulling on bolts threaded into the yoke, seems more secure to me and less likely to deform the part.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Aug 2 2020, 03:38 PM
Post #35

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) HEAT, MORE HEAT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Well it came off, here is the flight path

Attached Image

Seems that it took about 2 minutes of MAPP gas, while the oils burned and the gasket smoldered and then the BANG (as anticipated) with a 4 ft flight path.

The reason is of course rust.

Attached Image

Last, do the galley plugs look good in this picture? I spent an hour cleaning the rear seal and am concerned with the stories of loose plugs

Attached Image

THANK YOU TEENERS!!!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bobboinski
post Aug 2 2020, 05:02 PM
Post #36

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) No opinion on the plugs, I cleaned mine up and gave them a coat of JB Weld for insurance as they didn't seem to be leaking. Not a proper repair, I know.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 2 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Aug 3 2020, 09:38 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) HEAT, MORE HEAT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Well it came off, here is the flight path

Attached Image

Seems that it took about 2 minutes of MAPP gas, while the oils burned and the gasket smoldered and then the BANG (as anticipated) with a 4 ft flight path.

The reason is of course rust.

Attached Image

Last, do the plugs look goo don the other side? I spent an hour cleaning the rear seal and am concerned with the stories of loose plugs

Attached Image

THANK YOU TEENERS!!!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Heat always works,even better when the part is a taper fit ,big stuff is dangerous ,remember a guy getting his foot broken when a large taper fit coupling popped off with a 60T porta-power in a big way and wasn't retained ,they had to cut his work boot off as the steel cap in his boot had compressed and almost cut some toe's off....scary sh#t.
The oil gallery plugs @ the bellhousing can be JB welded after cleaning and scratching up with course sandpaper if you are concerned about them...I just do it regardless,good luck.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 3 2020, 06:29 AM
Post #38

914 Guru

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Aug 2 2020, 05:38 PM) *

Well it came off,

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:12 AM