Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So...anyone actually racing this year?
GregAmy
post Aug 2 2020, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

I'm struggling to get some races in this year on the "real" racing (Super Touring Civic) to qualify for the SCCA Runoffs.

The historics/vintage 914 has been sitting in my enclosed trailer since October. Given the unknowns on the Lime Rock and Watkins Glen events, I decided to delay building an engine for it to replace the one I borrowed last year.

We did purchase an ex-Modified autocrosser 914, with a Raby 2.3L /4 in it. Killer deal, couldn't resist it. I'll use that capital as an excuse on why I didn't build another engine (the real answer is: lazy. And beer).

Anyone else getting any 914 time in this year?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Aug 2 2020, 11:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Not yet... a couple of opportunities, but the stars haven't aligned yet.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Aug 3 2020, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Only real race was SVRA at Roebling in February, then everything went into "Fart Proof Box" mode....
Did DE's with PCA at Road Atlanta in June and at Summit Point in July and just returned from DE at Roebling with MaxSpeed so I've at least got in some seat time....
I'm registered for SVRA at Watkins Glen in September--we'll see if that actually happens....
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
motorvated
post Aug 3 2020, 06:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I raced this past weekend with Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing at their big charity event for the Morgan Adams Foundation, the Race Against Kid's Cancer. Except for the social distancing requirements, and the fact that I came in on the tow rope three times out of five because of ignition coil wiring and mounting issues, it was great to be back out on the track. '72 Chalon bodied car with a 2.0 liter four with dual Wbers and a lightened flywheel. First outing for the 2.0 liter so some minor teething problems. Ran a bone stock 1.8 liter L-Jet prior to this and it was dead reliable, but sort of on the slow side, especially at 5,000 foot elevation. The 2.0 liter is noticably faster and has more torque. No more races until September or October. But the local tracks are open now and I definitely need more seat time, as we all do.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 3 2020, 08:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 3 2020, 05:33 PM) *

I'm registered for SVRA at Watkins Glen in September--we'll see if that actually happens....

Here's the prob, though, with that event and with the LRP Historics the weekend before: when you come into NY and CT from out of region, you are now required by law to submit a "travel health form" upon arrival and immediately quarantine yourself for 14 days, subject to fines:

https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/travel
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

This is why IMSA annoiunced this past weekend that they were pulling their two events from Watkins Glen (Labor Day weekend) and Lime Rock (the following weekend): IMSA and the teams didn't want to have to deal with this hassle.

Will it be enforced? No idea, but if I were a politician looking to make some press (glancing at you, Cuomo and Lamont) and I was aware that a bunch of high-income persons were coming in from out of state, I'd certainly know the two places over subsequent weekends I'd go visit...

Tread lightly.

I'm in CT so could get away with both, but even for me it's just not worth the hassle. This will be the first time in several years I'm missing competing at LRP, but I'm just gonna stay home with beer by the pool that weekend.

Greg
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Aug 4 2020, 08:36 AM
Post #6

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

DE’s With POC in May, June, July at Willow Springs (and Streets). Skipping Sonoma in Aug, back at CA Speedway in early Sept...

Not with the race group, which is mostly boxster spec and GT3-GT1 groups, but plenty competitive in the DE groups...
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 18 2020, 08:26 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Lime Rock announces that the Labor Day Historics won't have any spectators.

To which I thought, "so what's the point...?"

I drove the poor neglected 914 out of the trailer last week and onto the lift; fired right up and excitedly said, "let's go!" I had to tell it its year was done, never to begin.

It'll get a heart transplant this winter. Maybe 2021 will be better.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Aug 18 2020, 12:50 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

I've done two NASA events at Sebring. They take our temps and we have to wear a mask. Not the end of the world.
Did my fastest time ever chasing a spec boxster.. 2:38.9 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
I was on old tires and it was crazy hot. There's more time out there for sure!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Aug 18 2020, 08:53 PM
Post #9

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 18 2020, 07:26 AM) *

Lime Rock announces that the Labor Day Historics won't have any spectators.

To which I thought, "so what's the point...?"

I drove the poor neglected 914 out of the trailer last week and onto the lift; fired right up and excitedly said, "let's go!" I had to tell it its year was done, never to begin.

It'll get a heart transplant this winter. Maybe 2021 will be better.

Whatcha doing with that old raby 4...??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 19 2020, 07:08 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Aug 18 2020, 10:53 PM) *

Whatcha doing with that old raby 4...??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I know, right? No, that engine is staying in the blue car. We'll convert that from an autocrosser into a historics racer over the winter: fuel cell, windshield, new seat, harnesses, etc. Should be on-track in '21 (if we have events...)

The orange car will get a light LP-FProd-like 2L engine build...
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 19 2020, 10:10 AM
Post #11

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

PCA race at Summit Point in September. For those that don't know, PCA created a Vintage Group for '89 and older air cooled cars only. This year only Summit and Monticello (October) are holding a Vintage race (VIR and a couple others were cancelled), but it's a lot of fun - its the only racing I do now. Last year I think we had 10+ 914's at Summit. We get three 30 minute sprint races (as well as the practices, qualifying, 'Fun Race', etc). Every other group gets only 2 sprint races ;-) Classing is simple.

Come join us!!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 19 2020, 11:28 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 19 2020, 12:10 PM) *
...For those that don't know, PCA created a Vintage Group for '89 and older air cooled cars only...

Does that mean that 4-cyl 914s are running against 3.2L 911s? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

I thought about running a PCA event or two, but they won't accept an SCCA comp license, they want you to buy a PCA comp license (SCCA accepts PCA licenses). Not worth buying one every year for an event I "may or may not" do.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 19 2020, 11:50 AM
Post #13

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 19 2020, 01:28 PM) *

...For those that don't know, PCA created a Vintage Group for '89 and older air cooled cars only...

Does that mean that 4-cyl 914s are running against 3.2L 911s? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

I thought about running a PCA event or two, but they won't accept an SCCA comp license, they want you to buy a PCA comp license (SCCA accepts PCA licenses). Not worth buying one every year for an event I "may or may not" do.

Not 'Against" but on the track at the same time? Yes .

Classes are:
V4U for four-cylinder under 2.0L (1,999 ccs)
V4O for four-cylinder over 2.0L (2,000 ccs)

VU for six-cylinder under 2.4L (2,399 ccs max)
VO for six-cylinder over 2.4L (2,400 ccs) to under 3.2L (3,199 ccs max)

VGTU for high winged and or aero bodied (Sheridan, AIR body kits) cars under 3.0L (2,999 ccs max)
VGTO for high winged and or aero bodied (Sheridan, AIR body kits) cars over 3.0L (3,000 ccs) as well as all cars with an engine displacement of 3.2L (3,200 ccs) and higher.

All turbocharged cars will run in VGTO.

I run in VGTO.

In my experience, SCCA does not 'Accept" a PCA license in replacement of a SCCA Comp license - I still have to pay for my SCCA membership and license each year, as well as get their specific medical form since they will not accept my PCA form.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 19 2020, 06:32 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 19 2020, 01:50 PM) *
In my experience, SCCA does not 'Accept" a PCA license in replacement of a SCCA Comp license - I still have to pay for my SCCA membership and license each year, as well as get their specific medical form since they will not accept my PCA form.

SCCA absolutely accepts your PCA license at the gate (I'm an SCCA Registrar and Steward). But you still have to be an SCCA member with a current medical form.

The last part is a cinch: just have your doc sign both forms at the same time.

GCR:
2. COMPETITION LICENSES
2.1. Medical Requirements
A. Everyone who applies for an SCCA Competition License or Permit must submit a completed SCCA Physician’s Examination and Medical History Form, a valid Federal Aviation Authority Class 1, Class 2, or Class 3 Medical Certificate or a completed FAA BasicMed From (FAA 8700-2 Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist), or a complete NASA approved Medical Evaluation form.
B. Licenses listed below will be accepted as equivalent to a SCCA Full Competition License at SCCA Regional events if the requirements of AppC.2.1 [GA: medical forms] are met and the license holder is an SCCA member in good standing.
11. Porsche Club of America Full Competition

PCA does not reciprocate. - GA
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Aug 19 2020, 07:19 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 19 2020, 09:28 AM) *

Agree that it's a hassle ...but then it's just having the doctor fill out both sets of forms at the same visit....get the "biennial" block checked btw....and then it's $115 for the license from PCA. Don't know about you but $115 is lost in rounding error for a really neat race event...c'mon down--would love to see another 914 in Vintage...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 19 2020, 08:15 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 19 2020, 09:19 PM) *
Don't know about you but $115 is lost in rounding error for a really neat race event...

Fair point.

Let's see what 2021 holds. But you can buy the IPAs to sweeten the pot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 20 2020, 05:42 AM
Post #17

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 19 2020, 08:32 PM) *

SCCA absolutely accepts your PCA license at the gate (I'm an SCCA Registrar and Steward). But you still have to be an SCCA member with a current medical form.

The last part is a cinch: just have your doc sign both forms at the same time.

GCR:
2. COMPETITION LICENSES
2.1. Medical Requirements
A. Everyone who applies for an SCCA Competition License or Permit must submit a completed SCCA Physician’s Examination and Medical History Form, a valid Federal Aviation Authority Class 1, Class 2, or Class 3 Medical Certificate or a completed FAA BasicMed From (FAA 8700-2 Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist), or a complete NASA approved Medical Evaluation form.
B. Licenses listed below will be accepted as equivalent to a SCCA Full Competition License at SCCA Regional events if the requirements of AppC.2.1 [GA: medical forms] are met and the license holder is an SCCA member in good standing.
11. Porsche Club of America Full Competition

PCA does not reciprocate. - GA

Interesting because SCCA wanted me to go to comp school to race and get their license even though I had had a PCA license for over 10 years at the time...only after multiple letters from our local RE and area race director and license coordinator did National grant me a license. Upon renewal, they wouldn’t renew since I hadn’t done enough races (2) over a period of time and again needed multiple emails/letters for approval. Our registrars here WILL NOT just accept a PCA or other license at the gate, they say a PCA licenses ALLOWS you to get a SCCA license....so we still have to pay for both.

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 19 2020, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 19 2020, 09:19 PM) *
Don't know about you but $115 is lost in rounding error for a really neat race event...

Fair point.

Let's see what 2021 holds. But you can buy the IPAs to sweeten the pot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When we’re allowed, I try to have my company NaroEscape Motorsports sponsor a social for all the Vintage drivers. (And yes we always have IPAs ;-). ) I may try at Summit but I’m sure we’ll get shut down...wouldn’t want responsible adults having too much fun... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 20 2020, 05:54 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 20 2020, 07:42 AM) *
Interesting because SCCA wanted me to go to comp school to race and get their license even though I had had a PCA license for over 10 years at the time...

I will not even bother to try and defend local fiefdoms and those with responsibilities that wield it improperly...one of the failings of SCCA and the primary reason I became a steward, instructor, scrutineer, and registrar. Fix it from within, and all that (it's working in the Northeast).

One of the best things to keep linked is the contact info for your Divisional Licensing Administrators. These folks generally "get it":

https://www.scca.com/downloads/3236-waiver-...rience/download

If that doesn't work, go directly to Topeka. And if THAT doesn't work then change your SCCA membership to New England Region; our guy most definitely "gets it".

BTW, they're being generally lax in this COVID year on renewals if you didn't race.

When we’re allowed, I try to have my company NaroEscape Motorsports sponsor a social for all the Vintage drivers. (And yes we always have IPAs ;-). ) I may try at Summit but I’m sure we’ll get shut down...wouldn’t want responsible adults having too much fun... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You had me at "IPAs".
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 21 2020, 06:41 AM
Post #19

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Aug 20 2020, 07:54 AM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 20 2020, 07:42 AM) *
Interesting because SCCA wanted me to go to comp school to race and get their license even though I had had a PCA license for over 10 years at the time...

I will not even bother to try and defend local fiefdoms and those with responsibilities that wield it improperly...one of the failings of SCCA and the primary reason I became a steward, instructor, scrutineer, and registrar. Fix it from within, and all that (it's working in the Northeast).

One of the best things to keep linked is the contact info for your Divisional Licensing Administrators. These folks generally "get it":

https://www.scca.com/downloads/3236-waiver-...rience/download

If that doesn't work, go directly to Topeka. And if THAT doesn't work then change your SCCA membership to New England Region; our guy most definitely "gets it".

BTW, they're being generally lax in this COVID year on renewals if you didn't race.

You had me at "IPAs".

So I inquired with Topeka. They said they require a SCCA comp license. A PCA license will automatically grant you an SCCA license, but you still have to pay SCCA for the membership AND license.
No worries, the cost of a license is pennies compared to the cost of the actual racing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

FYI, there are 11 914’s currently signed up for Summit and I know of at least 3 more (one is me) that haven’t yet. I’m waiting on the verdict from Dawe’s about my transmission leak....
+Quote Post
gms
post Aug 21 2020, 09:57 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hoping to race at Road America next month
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:29 AM