Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blower motor, purpose? necessary?
surfdogskier
post Aug 3 2020, 07:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,019
Region Association: None

Hey guys,

What exactly is the purpose of this blower in the engine bay? My situation is I don't have hoses attached. I've been running my car without it hooked up.

I read that a couple of threads that you don't necessarily need it. You can cap off the hole on the driver side (mine is currently open). As it is right now, after I run her a little while, she smokes out of it a bit until she cools.

Thanks,
Jason

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
craigcardella
post Aug 3 2020, 07:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,564
Region Association: South East States

I believe it's for the heater/defroster. I live where its usually warn, so I removed the heater stuff to have more room for my twin carb set-up.

+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Aug 3 2020, 08:10 AM
Post #3

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Here in the Netherlands, at the bi-yearly mandatory tech test from our DMV, we need it. We need something to blow on the windscreen, so if we take that blower out, we need to put something else back to do that task. There are tricks and tips to overcome this (in case they spot it all all), but easier is that it is in place.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Aug 3 2020, 08:12 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

it is to supplement the heat volume blown into the cabin on the 914-4 especially at idle.

QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Aug 3 2020, 06:44 AM) *

Hey guys,

What exactly is the purpose of this blower in the engine bay? My situation is I don't have hoses attached. I've been running my car without it hooked up.

I read that a couple of threads that you don't necessarily need it. You can cap off the hole on the driver side (mine is currently open). As it is right now, after I run her a little while, she smokes out of it a bit until she cools.

Thanks,
Jason

+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Aug 3 2020, 08:22 AM
Post #5

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I took mine out a long time ago. I get plenty of heat / defrost downshifting, and it helps "unclutter" the engine bay. Plus, they're actually pretty anemic.

You can also cover the J-Tubes with 1 1/2 inch rubber hose caps like you find at your big box hardware store so heat doesn't leak into engine bay.
+Quote Post
theer
post Aug 3 2020, 08:23 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

It’s a single speed fan actuated by the handle with the red knob between the seats.

Also, regarding the defroster, the engine itself will blow warm air up to the front - assuming everything else is hooked up and working, but as George says, engine speed impacts volume. The fresh air fan adds air volume, too, but unheated, of course.

+Quote Post
surfdogskier
post Aug 4 2020, 05:57 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,019

Thanks guys! That gives me options to play with.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 4 2020, 06:05 AM
Post #8

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

It's most useful at low rpm's in cool or cool/damp weather. 6's didn't have one. If your heat exchangers are in good shape and you keep your engine speed above 3k you don't need it and will have plenty of heat.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Aug 4 2020, 07:37 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(theer @ Aug 3 2020, 10:23 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

It’s a single speed fan actuated by the handle with the red knob between the seats.

Also, regarding the defroster, the engine itself will blow warm air up to the front - assuming everything else is hooked up and working, but as George says, engine speed impacts volume. The fresh air fan adds air volume, too, but unheated, of course.

The blower adds air into the heat exchangers. so it does get heated before heading into the cabin.
if your J-tube is uncapped the air from the big fan housing on front of the engine will escape into the engine compartment instead of going into the passenger compartment.

You should NOT get smoke out of the J-tube. and if you cap it and the rest of your heater parts are hooked up correctly that smoke will travel into the driver/passenger area.

There may be oil in your heat exchangers causing the smoke or Worse there is an internal leak in the HE's and exhaust gasses will travel into the passenger compartment.

Very BAD.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 4 2020, 07:39 AM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 4 2020, 07:05 AM) *

It's most useful at low rpm's in cool or cool/damp weather. 6's didn't have one. If your heat exchangers are in good shape and you keep your engine speed above 3k you don't need it and will have plenty of heat.

Yea, the six didn't have one. So, to get hot air into the cabin, you just drive it a gear lower! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 01:18 AM