Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Axle bolts and Pins, I done messed up
tvdinnerbythepool
post Aug 7 2020, 07:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,336
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Axle fell of the transmission yesterday. Bent a bolt and sheared a bolt. The other two appear to be fine and just loosened themselves out.
My assumption is I didn't torque them down correctly.

Question is.....
Bolt size? I have M8 special bit

And...

There are 6 holes....4 bolts and 2 alignment pins correct?

I appear to have lost those 2 pins when the axle came off.

Source for the 2 pins?

Thanks all!
-RAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
rhodyguy
post Aug 7 2020, 02:10 PM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Not so sure the outer hub recesses are supposed to be packed with grease. McMaster/Carr is the place to buy the Schnor washers. Also known as 'Belleville'. Spelling might be off. Buy a 100 pack. They work well for the intakes on carbed cars rather than cut washers
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 8 2020, 09:18 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 7 2020, 04:10 PM) *

Also known as 'Belleville'. Spelling might be off. Buy a 100 pack. They work well for the intakes on carbed cars rather than cut washers

Long side note:

Schnorr washers are a type of Belleville washer (disc spring washer - or conical spring washer). However, Generic Belleville (plain or serrated) washers are not Schnorr washers.

Schnorr washers have a slightly different trapezoidal gear tooth pattern pressed into them that has a lower coefficient of friction when tighetening and a higer coefficient of friction in the loosening direction once the disc spring is under pre-load when the fastener is tightened.

Schnorr also has specific washer type "VS" for use with grade 12.9 fasteners like the tri-square 12 point CV Joint fasteners.

Honestly I don't know for sure if VW/Porsche originally used the VS grade Schnorr washers. I would suspect that they were sourced and specified to work with the OEM fastners even if they weren't referred to as VS seiries back then.

https://www.schnorr-group.com/en/products/safety-washers/

I'm sure a generic Bellville washer is beter than a 50 year old Schnorr that is worn out from multiple reuses.

In the end the fastener isn't retained by any sort of washer. A fastener is retained in place by clamp load that results from being tightened properly and developing a strech in the fastner that works like a very high rate spring.

When used in OEM method - single washer under the bolt head. The spring rate of the fastener shank is far higher than the spring rate of the Schnorr or Belleville washer. The waser compresses first, then the bolt shank stretches and establishes clamp load.

So what does the Schnorr washer do differently?

The design of the Schnorr washer helps provide some resistance to the fastener losing clamp load due to vibration acting to loosen the fastener. The Schnorr teeth "bite" into the base metal and the higer coefficient of friction in the counter clockwise direction helps prevent the fastern from loosening counter clockwise.

Beyond that, I'd areee that a Schnorr acts just like a Belleville washer.

In the end, neither will make up for not properly tightening the fastener using a torque wrench.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:26 PM