Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cooling a 2.7l Type 4 easier/harder/same as a 2.7L flat six?
Tdskip
post Aug 7 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Only a slightly theoretical question at this point – is there anything inherently different, or different in practice, between the oil cooling set up needed to keep a 2.7 L flat six cool versus the same displacement 2.7 L big Type 4?

It would seem like the flat six would have smaller displacement per cylinder and that might have less heat and more cooling fin surface area?

Kind of an interesting topic I think / hope.

Happy Friday.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 7 2020, 12:56 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

is the 4cylinder going to be a dry sump motor?
and stock -4 cylinder type cooling fan?

a lot different
my years of experience with both motors tells me the 4 is going to run hotter...
the design, bearings, and complete "system" was for a lower output motor

where as the -6 was designed for that displacement and was factory engineered to handle that heat better
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 7 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(brant @ Aug 7 2020, 02:56 PM) *

is the 4cylinder going to be a dry sump motor?
and stock -4 cylinder type cooling fan?

a lot different
my years of experience with both motors tells me the 4 is going to run hotter...
the design, bearings, and complete "system" was for a lower output motor

where as the -6 was designed for that displacement and was factory engineered to handle that heat better

Dry sump oil system, more outer cylinder surface area.
Especially once they went from 5 blade to 11 blade fan.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 7 2020, 01:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

The 2.7L Type 4 is a wet sump but had a 914/6 style Front oil cooler set up .

I didn’t run Type 4 2.7L in anger a whole lot but with that set up it never really got hot, it had an oil pressure problem, but it wasn’t due to the oil getting overly warm.

Sounds like the answer is “at least as much if not significantly more” cooling is required for a big Type 4.

I’ve seen that some flat 6 2.7’s run trunk mounted cooler successfully, but let me be pushing it for the i’ve seen that some flat 62.7‘s run trunk mounted cooler successfully, but let me be pushing it for the Type 4.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 7 2020, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

This is kind of neat (World member's car I believe).

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 7 2020, 03:47 PM
Post #6

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That's the first time I have seen a set-up like that. Looks like it should work well. I hope they screened the fronts of the coolers to protect them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Aug 7 2020, 04:52 PM
Post #7

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 7 2020, 02:41 PM) *

Attached Image

Where is the muffler going to go?
Bob B
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 7 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 7 2020, 02:30 PM) *

It would seem like the flat six would have smaller displacement per cylinder and that might have less heat and more cooling fin surface area?

Happy Friday.

Yup. Area of a cylinder cooling fin varies as a function of radius squared. Just like two smaller valves can have more flow area than one large valve - so it is that more small cylinders will offer more cooling area than larger cylinders.

911 cylinder heads have significantly more cooling fin area than a T4 head + additional thermal mass of the cam towers to absorb transient thermal spikes.

But, don't forget about the influence of oil cooling. 911 2.7L has piston squirters and much larger oil cooler both on the engine and the 2.7L OEM trombone cooler had lots of oil line to/from the cooler that alllowed for additional oil cooling.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 7 2020, 09:18 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 7 2020, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 7 2020, 02:41 PM) *

Attached Image

Where is the muffler going to go?
Bob B

Right through the coolers!

Assuming he had straight pipes.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 7 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #10

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 7 2020, 04:18 PM) *
But, don't forget about the influence of oil cooling. 911 2.7L has piston squirters and much larger oil cooler both on the engine and the 2.7L OEM trombone cooler had lots of oil line to/from the cooler that alllowed for additional oil cooling.

While not exactly "squirter's" you can mod the /4 rods to sling/shoot oil to the bottom of the pistons. Oil coolers have been covered to death.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 8 2020, 06:30 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Neat, thanks Rich.

So is cooling the cylinders the bigger issue here than keeping oil cool?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 8 2020, 08:39 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 8 2020, 08:30 AM) *

Neat, thanks Rich.

So is cooling the cylinders the bigger issue here than keeping oil cool?

It's really not an either or thing. Cooling an engine is a sytems engineering problem.

The best example I can give is back in my college days participating in Formula SAE (look up details if interested) it was common to yank an engine from a Honda CBR600. Water cooled.

The engine was usually shoe horned in right behind the driver seat and had zero airflow.

Even with zero engine modifications and more radiator area than stock, the engines had a tendency to overheat, especially under load. Why?

Turns out that although the engines are water cooled, when they are used in a motorcycle (even with a fairing), they still get alot of air cooling of the aluminum block, head, and transmission housings. Sticking it behind the seat with zero airflow had unforseen implications becuase we didn't look at it as a system.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 8 2020, 09:23 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

@superhawk996 - very helpful, thanks.

I suppose at some point you just have to try it but wondering if even with keeping the oil cool via one of the cooler set ups if more cooling for fins is still required. As I bought it there as no rain tray and it had a larger grill area.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 8 2020, 09:41 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 8 2020, 11:23 AM) *

@superhawk996 - very helpful, thanks.

I suppose at some point you just have to try it but wondering if even with keeping the oil cool via one of the cooler set ups if more cooling for fins is still required. As I bought it there as no rain tray and it had a larger grill area.

If I recall your big bore engine already had aluminum cylinders. The aluminum cylinder will have far better heat transfer than cast iron.

Since for all practical purposes you can't add more cylinder cooling fins, that leaves the following options:

1) More and/or cooler air for cooling which has a bounded limit.

2) More oil cooling. But given that oil has a better heat transfer coefficient than air, it will be the bigger knob. It too will be bounded at some point too.

The upper bound to both #1 and #2 is what eventually forced Porche to water cooling.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 8 2020, 10:28 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

@superhawk996 - Great discussion, thank you.

I know the answer is it depends, but staying in the realm of theory can you cool the oil enough to offset the heat from the less than optimal cooling that goes along with the bigger cylinders?

In other words if the oil cooling set up was highly efficient/capable and you kept temps in the 180-190 range does can that offset the heat soak from the larger piston combustion area.

I do have aluminum fins on the iron bores - good memory!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 8 2020, 11:02 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 8 2020, 12:28 PM) *

@superhawk996 - Great discussion, thank you.

I know the answer is it depends, but staying in the realm of theory can you cool the oil enough to offset the heat from the less than optimal cooling that goes along with the bigger cylinders?

In other words if the oil cooling set up was highly efficient/capable and you kept temps in the 180-190 range does can that offset the heat soak from the larger piston combustion area.

I do have aluminum fins on the iron bores - good memory!

@Tdskip

I know lots will disagree but I fundamentally disagree that oil temp in the 180-190 range is desirable. That is too cool. Oil itself has no issue with being 240F-250F especially on an air cooled/oil cooled engine. Just look at how the gauges are calibrated. Red Zone doesn't even begin unitl 300F using the 200C taco plate and 250/260 using the 120C or 150C tempsensor.

The iron bore is a bigger limitation on heat rejection. This is where Nickies have a big advantage. Very thin wear surface and the rest is aluminum for greater heat rejection.

The bottom line is the six is going to run cooler cylinder (and oil temps) and have better durability since you're getting more relative cooling from the H6 aluminum cylinders. As previously stated. Same for the H6 heads.

However, with a larger volume oil pump and enough oil cooler upfront and getting cool airflow, a 2.7L T4 would survive for a while. The bottom line is that a T4 that big (2.7L!!!) is going to be challenged for longevity. That is a 35% displacment bump.

If your shooting for a 180F oil target, my gut says you can't get there but I haven't done the modeling or math to prove that.

If you allow for an oil temp target of 240F and just plan on chaging the oil every 3-4K miles, my gut suspects you could get there with enough oil cooler and this monster T4.

I think if you look at Jakes 2316 engine as a baseline, he even states that engine wasn't intended to have as good of a lifespan as his 2270. You are way beyond either of those known data points that have some dyno durability behind them.

As I think about how to do the math or modelling, it would 1st need to start with a baseline known oil flow rate, oil temp in and out of a baseline cooler, known cooler area, and known airflow temp and airflow rate. That's quite a bit of data acquistion. Not impossible but it would become a project on it's own. From that known data, you could do the math to see what needs to be changed to hit a oil temperature target on the outlet of the cooler.

To get back to your OP question. I think you're going to need more oil cooling on a T4 2.7L engine than you would need on the H6 2.7L engine. You could determine the baseline oil cooling area (inclusive of case area) of the H6 2.7L and then upsize T4 by some % as a start point. Purely a speculative guestimate.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Aug 8 2020, 01:30 PM
Post #17

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

If you're dry sump . cant you just increase
Oil pressure , campasity, cooler size, fans, until
Its happy ? Brad pen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

And i haven't seen these until a car show today

But where does the accusump fit it .

Do any /6 s run these . do 911s have em ?

And dumb but

Could you use a innercooler or water meth chargecooler to lower the temp that way .
Even know it isnt a turbo . it would still lower head temps?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 8 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

https://www.elephantracing.com/tech-topics/...nd-engine-life/

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 8 2020, 02:06 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Thanks for all of the responses.

Changing the oil every couple thousand miles isn’t a big deal, longevity is probably fine if I can get 40-50K out of it. Going to take me a long while to get that sort of distance in.

Let me just state that I know this is all bit daft, I kind of just really want to do I and I know I’ve got non-trivial trade offs.

The 2.7L Type 4 will boot right in since the front cooler is already set up for it and it would go right back in to the car it came out of.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Aug 8 2020, 03:06 PM
Post #20

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2020, 02:45 PM) *

Uhh, who made that chart?

I have never seen one like it. I’ve never looked for an oil temp one, but there are statistics drive water temp vs life which are not like that at all. Cooler is not always better...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:01 AM