Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Battery of choice
mlindner
post Aug 8 2020, 08:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

For mostly track car. what batteries are you using. And images of rear trunk installation.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
slivel
post Aug 8 2020, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332
Region Association: Southern California

Not a great photo but it's the best that I have right now. Car is stored and not readily accessible.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BillC
post Aug 8 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Look into Antigravity Batteries. They are lithium batteries with protection electronics, and are very lightweight. I have one in my spec boxster, and so far it's working great.

They aren't cheap though. But they do run sales about once a quarter, so sign up for their email list to get the announcement .
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Aug 8 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,318

I got my lithium battery at advance auto 2 years ago....autocraft LFP-8 for like $89. Evidently they have been discontinued, can't find a current price or availability. It starts my /6 just fine even after cranking with ignition off for 20 seconds to build oil pressure. It's listed as 500CCA and weighs about 4 pounds--remarkable.
Here's the closest I can find currently....Amazon listing for about $200...
https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Battery-Cran...4853&sr=8-3Attached Image
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Aug 8 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,318

'nother pic....
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 9 2020, 06:59 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 8 2020, 08:40 PM) *

I got my lithium battery at advance auto 2 years ago....autocraft LFP-8 for like $89.

Ditto. I'm running one in my street 2L /4, but mounted mine on the left side above the starter to shorten the positive lead run. Very disappointed they're not available any more.

On the race car I run "total loss" without an alternator, so a larger Honda-sized lead-acid in the standard location.

Edit: the one major downside to this battery on a street car is the lower reserve capacity. If you lose your belt or alternator you're not getting as far, especially at night.

The plus side, of course, is that it weighs nothing; in fact, both I and the Advance Auto cashier has to open the box to ensure the battery was actually in there...we were both pretty impressed.

Another plus side is it can be mounted in any orientation. As did John, I mounted mine laying on its side.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Aug 9 2020, 09:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,985
Region Association: None

That's a pretty good deal for a lithium battery. I've heard that some of them require special chargers to avoid ruining the battery. Is that the case for the Autocraft battery?
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Aug 10 2020, 09:34 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Aug 9 2020, 11:22 PM) *

That's a pretty good deal for a lithium battery. I've heard that some of them require special chargers to avoid ruining the battery. Is that the case for the Autocraft battery?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) No idea.

I do note that my alternator tends to run the car at ~14.5V instead of the expected 13.5V. Car doesn't seem to care (I'm running Microsquirt and no radio, no other electronics to worry about).
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 13 2020, 04:48 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Vision AGM model HP 12-116W,commonly used in speedway and track cars in my country,very low discharge rate when unused and very long life ,I purchased in the middle of 2015 for $58nzd (mates rates) and still starts my 6 easily,very impressed with it and it only weighs 9lbs from memory.
Attached Image
Frankly I don't care for a huge heavy battery when you don't need it,the only downside is the terminal connections being so small.
I custom built a battery tray and can also take the higher capacity version of this...needs be.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 23 2020, 07:34 AM
Post #10

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I've got the Odyssey PC680 which is the tiny AGM similar to above, which is mounted on its side in the factory battery tray. It holds charge well - I disconnect for storage - and cranks my fairly high compression 2.7/six just fine.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Aug 26 2020, 11:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Aug 23 2020, 06:34 AM) *

I've got the Odyssey PC680 which is the tiny AGM similar to above, which is mounted on its side in the factory battery tray. It holds charge well - I disconnect for storage - and cranks my fairly high compression 2.7/six just fine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I have this in both my 914s. Cranks the high compression 3.0 six with no problem. The one in my four cylinder is seven years old and is finally starting to show signs of slow cranking on start up after the car sits for a few weeks.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:58 PM