Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back fires when hot, '74 1.8
EJP914
post Aug 8 2020, 01:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 821

I have a '74 1.8 that was converted to a single Weber carb sometime in its past. I realize its not the best set up. Car is not driven a lot.
When starting out on a drive, it runs well enough when cold (stumbles and not smooth but I figure that's because of the single carb set up). When it is warmed up (not hot), It runs pretty well. After driving for 30-45 minutes and the engine is hot, when I back off the gas it backfires and pops and will not idle when stopped at an intersection or light.
Why does it do this only after the engine is hot after some driving?
Points, timing, plugs all seem to be good. Plugs are a little black after one of these backfire sessions, but are not wet or smell like gas.
The valves have not been adjusted for a LONG time. Could this be the cause of the backfire/idle problem?
any ideas? Thanks in advance for the replies.
Ed
Pittsburgh, PA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Aug 8 2020, 03:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

QUOTE(EJP914 @ Aug 8 2020, 11:39 AM) *

I have a '74 1.8 that was converted to a single Weber carb sometime in its past. I realize its not the best set up. Car is not driven a lot.
When starting out on a drive, it runs well enough when cold (stumbles and not smooth but I figure that's because of the single carb set up). When it is warmed up (not hot), It runs pretty well. After driving for 30-45 minutes and the engine is hot, when I back off the gas it backfires and pops and will not idle when stopped at an intersection or light.
Points, timing, plugs all seem to be good. Plugs are a little black after one of these backfire sessions, but are not wet or smell like gas.
The valves have not been adjusted for a LONG time. Could this be the cause of the backfire/idle problem?
Ed
Pittsburgh, PA

I had the same set up never could get it run clean so switched to dual carbs and 90% of the running and idle problems went away plus it seems like I have more hp and it sounds cool
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Aug 8 2020, 03:35 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(EJP914 @ Aug 8 2020, 02:39 PM) *

Ed
Pittsburgh, PA

I would adjust the valves. They could be running tight. Go from there
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:57 PM