Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Colored hoses, Are they still available? Or has anyone tried dying a hose?
TonyA
post Aug 11 2020, 08:49 AM
Post #1

Nachmal

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,596
Region Association: North East States

Maybe i ma crazy but are these available anywhere, or has anyone ever attempted to bleach and dye a hose?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dion
post Aug 13 2020, 05:00 AM
Post #2

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Tony, the only place I’ve ever seen have them has been AA. Various lengths. I remember having to trim them. That was a while ago. Worth a shot contacting them.
Not sure about the dye tactic.
+Quote Post
TonyA
post Aug 13 2020, 07:23 PM
Post #3

Nachmal

QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 13 2020, 07:00 AM) *

Tony, the only place I’ve ever seen have them has been AA. Various lengths. I remember having to trim them. That was a while ago. Worth a shot contacting them.
Not sure about the dye tactic.

Thanks Dion thought I was invisible.
+Quote Post
aturboman
post Aug 14 2020, 01:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,687
Region Association: None

Tony I have a roll each of original RED & GREEN German made hose.

Not sure what size and colors you need but I may be able help.

Thanks
+Quote Post
TonyA
post Aug 14 2020, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Nachmal

QUOTE(aturboman @ Aug 14 2020, 03:56 PM) *

Tony I have a roll each of original RED & GREEN German made hose.

Not sure what size and colors you need but I may be able help.

Thanks

Thanks PM sent
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 18 2021, 10:27 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(TonyA @ Aug 11 2020, 07:49 AM) *

Maybe i ma crazy but are these available anywhere, or has anyone ever attempted to bleach and dye a hose?

I think I've found an acceptable solution for colored hoses. I posted more details on my build thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2883669, but thought I'd post a short version here to make it easier to find.

First, I did try bleaching a small scrap of fresh German OEM Continental hose with the idea of re-dying it. Total fail. The bleach dissolved the braiding off the hose so I was left with a bare rubber hose and a bunch of still very black cloth fibers floating around loose.

Plan B was this Jaquard Neopaque opaque fabric paint.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1610913141.jpg)

I used Russet and Green. The Russet looks pretty close to what the original red hose might have been. From bottom to top in the below pic is Red (air brushed), original remnant, Russet (sponge brushed), and the unpainted braided hose.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1610913223.jpg)

I didn't have an original green hose for comparison and suspect this may be a little brighter than original. No doubt the paint could be mixed for a good match if you had a good reference.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1610913613.jpg)

I brushed the hoses with a stiff nylon brush to soften the paint texture a little. It wound up with the feel of hose that has been in the hot engine bay for a couple years on the outside, but still flexible like new hose. A few pics of it installed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1610913688.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1610913704.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1610913728.jpg)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 18 2021, 10:37 AM
Post #7

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

OOooooh nice. Will you be taking orders for sets of hoses? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 18 2021, 04:37 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

out of interest, does anyone know if the 1.8s originally had coloured hoses.
or did they switch to uncoloured hoses with those?

i think, and i mean i think, because it could just be you want to see it, that the vacuum lines on my distributor looked vaguely green still, before i replaced them last year, but it might be because i wanted to see green. if it was there it was so faded it was grey i saw green in. the rest of the lines were faded grey. and as far as i remember even when i bought the car they were grey color (31 years ago). i don't think any lines were replaced before i got the car in 89. but again maybe my memory is wrong. coloured lines were not something i knew about back then. they might have been a very faded red i thought was grey.

red as a color in any form, paint etc, fades fastest of all colours.

as to availability off the shelf, when you go to porsche themselves, where we sourced the new replacement hoses, its just black (or dark grey) hose. we went to porsche to get them given we are in aus - turned out to be easiest and was surprisingly, good value.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jan 19 2021, 05:15 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,753

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 18 2021, 05:37 PM) *

i think, and i mean i think, because it could just be you want to see it, that the vacuum lines on my distributor looked vaguely green still, before i replaced them last year, but it might be because i wanted to see green. if it was there it was so faded it was grey i saw green in. the rest of the lines were faded grey. and as far as i remember even when i bought the car they were grey color (31 years ago). i don't think any lines were replaced before i got the car in 89. but again maybe my memory is wrong. coloured lines were not something i knew about back then. they might have been a very faded red i thought was grey.

as to availability off the shelf, when you go to porsche themselves, where we sourced the new replacement hoses, its just black (or dark grey) hose. we went to porsche to get them given we are in aus - turned out to be easiest and was surprisingly, good value.

@wonkipop Being an original 1.8 owner, the only colored lines on mine are green, to/from the vacuum canister. No red hoses. If you'd like, I could post a pic.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 20 2021, 03:10 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 19 2021, 05:15 PM) *

@wonkipop Being an original 1.8 owner, the only colored lines on mine are green, to/from the vacuum canister. No red hoses. If you'd like, I could post a pic.

that would be great starbear, thanks mate.

yes, i've double checked mine and all i have is the one green line from the distributor, which we ended up keeping because porsche were unable to supply the size of hose.
i didn't realise but my mechanic cleaned it right up and checked it before he put it back on and its looking really green again.

but i have some other questions i will compose myself to ask specifically in relation to 1.8 vacuum hose arrangements and you might be the man to answer them.

wonki.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jan 20 2021, 12:41 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 20 2021, 04:10 AM) *

yes, i've double checked mine and all i have is the one green line from the distributor, which we ended up keeping because porsche were unable to supply the size of hose.
i didn't realise but my mechanic cleaned it right up and checked it before he put it back on and its looking really green again.

but i have some other questions i will compose myself to ask specifically in relation to 1.8 vacuum hose arrangements and you might be the man to answer them.

wonki.

@wonkipop I stand self-corrected; looks like I have two green hoses. The first is off the vacuum cannister (passenger side) going to the throttle body (front side); see photo. The second comes off the T branch into the air plenum; see photo. The first I'm sure of; the second may or may not have been swapped out just because I had that size hose. I've also attached my hose diagram; the first is Line 4, the second is Line 10. This diagram varies slightly from Jeff Bowlsby's and Automobile Atlanta's diagrams; perhaps as Porsche modified things throughout MY 74, probably for emissions, it seems like the hoses and layouts changed.
With this arrangement, "Frogger" has been running flawlessly; if anyone sees obvious error(s), just let me know - always willing to listen to those more expert than me!
Hope this helps!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jan 20 2021, 12:45 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 20 2021, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 20 2021, 04:10 AM) *

wonki.

@wonkipop I stand self-corrected; looks like I have two green hoses. The first is off the vacuum cannister (passenger side) going to the throttle body (front side); see photo. The second comes off the T branch into the air plenum; see photo. The first I'm sure of; the second may or may not have been swapped out just because I had that size hose. I've also attached my hose diagram; the first is Line 4, the second is Line 10. This diagram varies slightly from Jeff Bowlsby's and Automobile Atlanta's diagrams; perhaps as Porsche modified things throughout MY 74, probably for emissions, it seems like the hoses and layouts changed. PS: I have changed out the four air intake collars (Lines 13) since this I made the diagram!
With this arrangement, "Frogger" has been running flawlessly; if anyone sees obvious error(s), just let me know - always willing to listen to those more expert than me!
Hope this helps!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 20 2021, 04:45 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

beaudy starbear.

that info is great.
i had an earlier diagram that mr. b made, but it did not match the layout in the car.

even this diagram you have posted shows incorrect (?) layout of hoses to charcoal cannister.
i've never changed the layout on mine and the layout matches the diagram in the emissions warranty that came with the handbook in the car. its about the only place they publish the emissions hose diagrams!?

the fan hose #1 enters the charcoal cannister from the lhs and the air cleaner hose #2 enters the charcoal cannister from the rhs along with the fuel tank vapor line #3.
i believe they changed the design of the charcoal cannister, possibly about the time they moved it into the engine bay on the 1.8. i've studied a lot of images of 1.8 engine bays in various states and those images agree with that layout too. my char. cannister is on the rear wall of the engine bay.

i have the green line out of the distributor on the rhs which then ducks under the intake plenum and heads off to the throttle body. its the only original line left on car now.
the other line was black out of the opposite side of dis. i checked with what came out of car. black too, but of course they could have been changed.

the decel valve lines were black as well, not green like yours. and have been replaced black. but mine could have been replaced at some point too.

i have got an interesting one though and i will post some images up later when i photograph the bits. and it will be around the decel valve. i think i had a red hose there or a brown hose. but its hard to tell. that hose was not like the others.
also the decel valve was floating around and not fixed or clipped. i will put that info up later. all of which point to maybe the decel valve having been replaced and a colored hose put in by a dealer or shop? and they never remounted the decel valve correctly?
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jan 20 2021, 05:57 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 20 2021, 05:45 PM) *

beaudy starbear.

that info is great.
i had an earlier diagram that mr. b made, but it did not match the layout in the car.

even this diagram you have posted shows incorrect (?) layout of hoses to charcoal cannister.
i've never changed the layout on mine and the layout matches the diagram in the emissions warranty that came with the handbook in the car. its about the only place they publish the emissions hose diagrams!?

the fan hose #1 enters the charcoal cannister from the lhs and the air cleaner hose #2 enters the charcoal cannister from the rhs along with the fuel tank vapor line #3.
i believe they changed the design of the charcoal cannister, possibly about the time they moved it into the engine bay on the 1.8. i've studied a lot of images of 1.8 engine bays in various states and those images agree with that layout too. my char. cannister is on the rear wall of the engine bay.

i have the green line out of the distributor on the rhs which then ducks under the intake plenum and heads off to the throttle body. its the only original line left on car now.
the other line was black out of the opposite side of dis. i checked with what came out of car. black too, but of course they could have been changed.

the decel valve lines were black as well, not green like yours. and have been replaced black. but mine could have been replaced at some point too.

i have got an interesting one though and i will post some images up later when i photograph the bits. and it will be around the decel valve. i think i had a red hose there or a brown hose. but its hard to tell. that hose was not like the others.
also the decel valve was floating around and not fixed or clipped. i will put that info up later. all of which point to maybe the decel valve having been replaced and a colored hose put in by a dealer or shop? and they never remounted the decel valve correctly?

Great! I’ll take a look. Thankfully the canister really doesn’t do much.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jan 21 2021, 08:36 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 20 2021, 05:45 PM) *

beaudy starbear.

that info is great.

@wonkipop You are so correct! The charcoal cannister lines in my car don't match the diagram; Line 1 goes to the air cleaner and Line 2 goes to the fan shroud. So, the question is, is the diagram wrong or is my setup wrong? Looked in the user manual (original) and didn't see the aforementioned emissions warranty diagram - could you post a pic?
Fortunately, I don't think it makes much difference in operation as the cannister isn't directional (opened and replaced the charcoal a few months ago), but would like to have it physically correct. If it makes a difference, my VIN ends in 9760; body produced Nov 73, car assembled April or May 74.
Thanks! SB
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 21 2021, 08:46 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 20 2021, 11:41 AM) *

I stand self-corrected; looks like I have two green hoses. The first is off the vacuum cannister (passenger side) going to the throttle body (front side); see photo. The second comes off the T branch into the air plenum; see photo. The first I'm sure of; the second may or may not have been swapped out just because I had that size hose. I've also attached my hose diagram; the first is Line 4, the second is Line 10. This diagram varies slightly from Jeff Bowlsby's and Automobile Atlanta's diagrams; perhaps as Porsche modified things throughout MY 74, probably for emissions, it seems like the hoses and layouts changed.
Hope this helps!
Attached Image

Awe crap! Looks like I painted the wrong vacuum hose green. I colored the advance line rather than the retard. Anyone know which hose was green for 73 2.0L D-Jet? Your pics also confirm that the green paint I used is too bright. I might need to try mixing in some white for a better match.

It would be cool if colored kits were available again but with the method I used, it is just a $10 bottle of paint and a cheap sponge brush. Super easy DIY project.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jan 21 2021, 11:51 AM
Post #17

@wonkipop Here is a revised layout diagram, showing the actual layout for my Lines #1 and #2. Wonder if there was an emissions-driven change in early 74. This layout actually makes a bit more sense for controlling emissions; here's my Virgo/Engineer thinking - Line 3 vapors from filling the gas tank flow into the cannister; the more heavily-laden fumes are captured by the charcoal toward the right (passenger) side; air flow forced by the fan shroud through Line 1 into the left (driver) side push gas vapor back into the air intake system for combustion. Don't have that emisstions warranty diagram you cite.
Make sense to you?
Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 21 2021, 02:24 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

i'm going to start a new topic on 1.8 hoses starbear as i don't want to hijack this one about how to get those beautiful colors back for all those folks with D Jet.

But as a last note here, for all the guys with D Jet, I think there is one more color besides red green and black if you really want to go after original.

there appears to be a deep brown color shown in the circuit diagrams in the factory manual.

(i've answered your question in the new thread starbear, i believe your car is correct and your emission engineering analysis).

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 22 2021, 01:01 AM
Post #19

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 21 2021, 09:51 AM) *

@wonkipop Here is a revised layout diagram, showing the actual layout for my Lines #1 and #2. Wonder if there was an emissions-driven change in early 74. This layout actually makes a bit more sense for controlling emissions; here's my Virgo/Engineer thinking - Line 3 vapors from filling the gas tank flow into the cannister; the more heavily-laden fumes are captured by the charcoal toward the right (passenger) side; air flow forced by the fan shroud through Line 1 into the left (driver) side push gas vapor back into the air intake system for combustion. Don't have that emisstions warranty diagram you cite.
Make sense to you?
Attached Image

That diagram is not correct. Fuel vapors enter the canister thru the little nipple, and the fan air supply right next to the little nipple carries the vapors trough the charcoal matrix, then out of the can to the engine intake for any residual vapors that remain.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 22 2021, 02:21 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

hmmm, its interesting.
thats certainly true of the first version of the system mr. b.

i don't think my car has been meddled with when it comes to the hoses.
and its plumbed up that way as per mr. starbear's diagram - always has been.

i have studied images of 1.8 engine bays for 75 which have the cannister closer to the battery. also plumbed up the same way as SB and WP cars.

if you look at the emissions diagram included with the 74 models. there is a change that occurs. i doubt its a misprint, but it could be? (i have posted the material in the other thread i started for 1.8 L jet hoses).

this change can also be found in vw literature i have seen.
i will see if i can find some of this to assist the research.

i think the matter of the plumbing of the later cannisters could do with some further research. i believe mr. starbear and i may be pointing to something with the later cars.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:10 PM