Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Colored hoses, Are they still available? Or has anyone tried dying a hose?
StarBear
post Mar 25 2021, 02:58 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Yeah. Think I’ll do something useful - like have a beer or dinner. On to pulling out the car and cleaning it up for driving!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Mar 25 2021, 07:11 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(StarBear @ Mar 25 2021, 02:58 PM) *

Yeah. Think I’ll do something useful - like have a beer or dinner. On to pulling out the car and cleaning it up for driving!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) exactly.

but i did find the answer in the factory workshop manual when i was scratching around in it last week trying to sort out another problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

occurs in aug 1971 - unrelated to position of the can in front or in engine bay or change in can from metal to plastic.

first 2 years of 4 cylinder cars are plumbed porsche's way (like 911s at that time}.

after aug 1971 4 cylinder cars are plumbed VW's way - or more accurately, 1.7 L cars 72 on.

change is noted by the title of the diagram and by the chronology of how the page numbers are added to the manual as time goes on (sent out as technical bulletin/or revision).
its a trick because when it gets included into the manual as a revision it appears in the page order where the original diagram was. but using the page numbering system you can work out its a later inclusion. i've struck this method before in old professional practice notes i used to get when the world was pre internet. you put in the revised updated note which replaces the earlier note, (with instruction to discard the earlier note) and you move the obsolete material to the back (in the form of a replacement page reprinting older material) which then receives a higher number. it was a procedure that makes you remove outdated material and rearrange the manual with the most up to date material at the front. the clue is in the index to the section. there is no 0.1-1/13 in the index, the index goes up to -1/11. so the earlier 0.1-1/6 gets moved the end and given a higher number past 11. germans!

change in aug 71 is hidden to the casual eye in the cars. still two hoses coming out of the area in the front wheelarch and going to the can.

original schematic 3-D applies when the cars first launched - matches first hose diagram layout for the first 2 years of cars.

update that comes in aug 71 gets very visible after midyear 74 (as you note starbear) when the can goes in the engine bay and the hoses can be seen fully.

gets back to original point.
is the diagram for the hose layout at the start of this thread correct for 74 L jet?
no. it is incorrect.
starbear amended diagram is correct.

of interest to folks with earlier cars, pre aug 71 plumbed the opposite of a post aug 71 originally, but you would hardly notice nor would anyone with better things to do waste time wondering. but its nice to know the hoses are right on a 74 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

(got rid of the stink out of the can on mine with fun option of long drive on the weekend, purged it - primitive tech kind of works, now see how long it takes to come back!).

above does not answer how 6s are plumbed or 2.0L fours.

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jul 3 2021, 07:08 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

@StarBear

found another 1.8 dr.914 has for sale. story indicates car with intact 1.8 engine bay. hose layout exactly agrees with our original cars.

confirms contrary hose layout of earlier cars to later cars. vapor hose plumbing does not stay consistent from the start of production to the end.

for certain it had changed definitely with the introduction of the plastic can in the engine bay of the 74 1.8s. layout diagrams for 1.8 engine bay can cars suggesting otherwise are incorrect from an historical authenticity point of view.

Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jul 3 2021, 08:52 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Ah, more evidence that “we” are unique and special. I think 1.8s may be the rarest of normal production versions.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jul 3 2021, 09:23 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

@StarBear - real special cars buddy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

one day their value will be recognized by collectors the world over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
but not in my lifetime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 7 2021, 06:06 PM
Post #66

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Bump (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:10 AM