Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve Lash with Chrome Moly Pushrods?
Charles Freeborn
post Aug 12 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Title pretty much says it. What are you running for valve lash with Chrome Moly pushrods?
I've heard / read all sorts of numbers and theories. Some say that the steel rods don't expand at the rate the aluminum cases and heads do so you can run zero lash cold and it'll warm up to .06-8.
Thx.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Aug 14 2020, 06:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Aug 12 2020, 09:42 AM) *

Title pretty much says it. What are you running for valve lash with Chrome Moly pushrods?
I've heard / read all sorts of numbers and theories. Some say that the steel rods don't expand at the rate the aluminum cases and heads do so you can run zero lash cold and it'll warm up to .06-8.
Thx.

Yep..."loose zero" when cold.... there's a zen to it.... set it so you can just rotate the pushrod with your fingers...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Aug 17 2020, 11:17 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 14 2020, 05:50 AM) *

Thx.

Yep..."loose zero" when cold.... there's a zen to it.... set it so you can just rotate the pushrod with your fingers...

As I thought. Totally get the zen thing. I cut my teeth in the '70's on Honda motorcycles with valve lash settings in the .002" range.

Although I can't see how anyone can get their fingers in there to spin the pushrod from the topside. With pushrod tubes removed yes, but without it would take child sized hands ... not my xxl meathooks..
Thanks.
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Aug 17 2020, 02:58 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Aug 17 2020, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Aug 14 2020, 05:50 AM) *

Thx.

As I thought. Totally get the zen thing. I cut my teeth in the '70's on Honda motorcycles with valve lash settings in the .002" range.

Although I can't see how anyone can get their fingers in there to spin the pushrod from the topside. With pushrod tubes removed yes, but without it would take child sized hands ... not my xxl meathooks..
Thanks.

I agree. I could get to some of the pushrods but not all of them. What I did on those I could reach the pushrod was spin the swivel head on the adjuster. I verified that spinning the swivel head and push rod gave the same results.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:24 PM