Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PCV Solution
Not_A_Six
post Aug 18 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,682
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 18 2020, 02:42 PM) *

Interesting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ,maybe that valve is designed to operate @ a different pressure and not matched the engine perhaps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) would be hard to know unless you had a stock one to test against,IMO they need to be working @ the same range.
Maybe further experimentation would yield a good result ?

I don't have quantitative flow data for either the original or new valve. The new one certainly does have different flow characteristics. However, I can say that in my '73 2.0, with plumbing matching Jeff Bowlsby's diagram, that it works great for me and fixed my idle issues mentioned previously. YMMV.

I don't know how DRPHIL914's car is configured, but I suspect that this is the root cause of his leak:

"i had not put the anti flashback valve in like the 73-74 have it shown"

When plumbed like Bowlsby's diagram, the PCV valve sucks air from the crankcase, and makeup air gets back in through the heads via the anti-flashback valve. If you just re-route the oil filler box hose from the airbox to the plenum, and add a pcv valve without the anti-flashback plumbing, you'll create negative pressure in the crankcase due to lack of makeup air at idle/low load. Then at wide-open throttle, you might create positive crankcase pressure if the pcv valve can't keep up with the volume of piston ring blow-by gas.

Cheers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 18 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Aug 19 2020, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 18 2020, 02:42 PM) *

Interesting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ,maybe that valve is designed to operate @ a different pressure and not matched the engine perhaps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) would be hard to know unless you had a stock one to test against,IMO they need to be working @ the same range.
Maybe further experimentation would yield a good result ?

I don't have quantitative flow data for either the original or new valve. The new one certainly does have different flow characteristics. However, I can say that in my '73 2.0, with plumbing matching Jeff Bowlsby's diagram, that it works great for me and fixed my idle issues mentioned previously. YMMV.

I don't know how DRPHIL914's car is configured, but I suspect that this is the root cause of his leak:

"i had not put the anti flashback valve in like the 73-74 have it shown"

When plumbed like Bowlsby's diagram, the PCV valve sucks air from the crankcase, and makeup air gets back in through the heads via the anti-flashback valve. If you just re-route the oilbox hose from the airbox to the plenum, and add a pcv valve without the anti-flashback plumbing, you'll create a negative pressure in the crankcase due to lack of makeup air.

Sorry most likely didn't read it all to know you had success,well done,one thing we have in our favour is that this is a very simply system ,remember my E39 BMW was a real bastard to sort when all the plastic bits fell apart and various hoses failed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .
+Quote Post
Not_A_Six
post Aug 20 2020, 04:54 PM
Post #23

*** UPDATE ***

So, the electrical tape didn't last long. Either the heat or the oil caused it to unstick. I took Bob's advice and wrapped the nipple with three layers of 2:1 3/4" to 3/8" heat shrink tubing. I just used regular heat shrink tubing, not the adhesive-lined version he recommended. But, the flare on the nipple appears to hold it very secure. I'll have to check again after some miles to see how it's holding up. The tubing is rated to temps up to 125C, so I think/hope that will be sufficient. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

The factory elbow fits nicely over the heat shrink if you wanted a more original appearance, but I think I'm just gonna leave the 13mm hose hooked up directly for the time being.

As to flow rates, a bit of seat-of-the-pants experimentation by blowing through the original and replacement valves suggests that the original one opens fully somewhere around 2-3 In-Hg differential pressure. Although, the original one that I have is pretty old and worn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

The replacement appears to flow less across the entire vacuum range. I wish I could compare it to a known-good original one, but I only have my old worn one that seems to flow too much. However, flow through the replacement appears sufficient as evidenced by the fact that I see no oil residue in the make-up air lines connected to the anti-flashback valve. But, the engine has just been rebuilt, so as the rings wear, it's possible that the replacement PCV valve won't be able to keep up with the increased blow-by. I intend to monitor the setup and see how it goes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Even at the apparently reduced flow vs the original (worn) valve, I think it should provide more flow than the "passive" setup used on later model years where the oil filler box was just plumbed to the air filter box. YMMV.

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 21 2020, 11:16 AM
Post #24

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

I have a good used one if you want to test it.
+Quote Post
Not_A_Six
post Aug 21 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 21 2020, 10:16 AM) *

I have a good used one if you want to test it.

Thanks for the offer. That's tempting. But, to do it right, I'd need to rig a test fixture, maybe out of welding stuff, to measure the flow at different pressures. Sadly, I have to spend more time on *real* work now (I.e., work that actually results in an eventual paycheck). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
pbanders
post May 21 2021, 04:00 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 805

More excellent work, this time, on the PCV. For quite a while, replacement PVC valves were available directly from Porsche! I assume this is no longer the case, glad I bought two when I had the chance so that I have a spare. This solution is even better, because it uses a modern PCV that should be available for a while.
+Quote Post
Not_A_Six
post Sep 7 2021, 05:06 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(pbanders @ May 21 2021, 03:00 PM) *

More excellent work, this time, on the PCV. For quite a while, replacement PVC valves were available directly from Porsche! I assume this is no longer the case, glad I bought two when I had the chance so that I have a spare. This solution is even better, because it uses a modern PCV that should be available for a while.

@pbanders Thanks, Brad! I consider that high praise from you. Your work was invaluable for this. I hope this all helps somebody down the road. (So to speak...)

+Quote Post
Not_A_Six
post Sep 7 2021, 05:07 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(pbanders @ May 21 2021, 03:00 PM) *

@pbanders Thanks, Brad! I consider that high praise from you. Your work was invaluable for this. I hope this all helps somebody down the road. (So to speak...)

+Quote Post
pbanders
post Apr 27 2022, 05:43 PM
Post #29

As I say, "you can never have too many spare parts", I remembered this topic, and I just ordered both parts from Amazon.

PCV Valve
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C2ZJK2/

$7.15

PCV Grommet
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO78FE

$3.19

+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Apr 27 2022, 06:49 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(pbanders @ Apr 27 2022, 05:43 PM) *

As I say, "you can never have too many spare parts", I remembered this topic, and I just ordered both parts from Amazon.

PCV Valve

$7.15

PCV Grommet

$3.19

You feel good about these? Tested and approved?
+Quote Post
Lockwodo
post May 6 2022, 08:18 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 26,193
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Aug 12 2020, 03:00 PM) *

I have a '73 2.0 with stock d-jet, and have struggled for years with idle issues that I suspected were related to the NLA OEM PCV valve. I've finally come up with a solution that fixed the various problems and wanted to share here in the hopes that it may help somebody else down the line.

My engine is now 2056cc with a Webcam 73 cam. But, my idle problems plagued me even when the engine was previously stock. The original PCV had worn so that it flowed more air than it should when "open", and was sticky as well, causing inconsistent airflow. I tried to purchase a replacement, but had no luck both here and via the usual online vendors. I also tried cleaning the one I had several times, but to no avail.

Before anybody shouts "vacuum leaks", I thought the same for a long time. But, I've now completely rebuilt the engine and have replaced every hose, tested every component by pulling vacuums, and finally did a smoke test to confirm that there are no vac leaks. It was the old PCV valve along.

The problems that the old valve caused were:

1) It flowed too much air to get the idle speed below about 1500 rpm without very retarded idle timing helped by vacuum retard from the distributor. (I have a 123Ignition distributor, and one must choose between vacuum retard at idle (e.g. with profile "A"), or vacuum advance at light load (e.g. with profile "1")). For anyone interested, details on the 123 issues can be found here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=347291

2) The inconsistent flow thru the PCV caused the idle to be correspondingly inconsistent regardless of what other adjustments were made to timing, idle screw, air-fuel mix, etc. Sometimes it would idle high, sometimes it would idle low.

From @pbanders excellent resource:

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/PCV.htm

"Porsche used a PCV valve on some 1.7L and 2.0L D-Jetronic engines, mostly in the 1973 and 1974 models. Early 1.7L and late (1975 and 1976) 2.0L engines did not have a PCV valve, and the crankcase breather on the oil filler was connected to the air box."

Indeed, I experimented with connecting the PCV valve to the airbox as above, and it did "fix" my idle problems. But, I didn't want to sacrifice the crankcase scavenging that a properly operating and plumbed PCV would provide.

The solution I finally came up with (again taking a cue from pbanders), was to adapt a modern, readily available PCV valve to the car. This provides apparently similar airflow as stock at high engine loads (low vacuum), and lower airflow than stock at idle (high vacuum). If you try this, you'll likely need to adjust the idle screw on the throttle body to compensate for the reduced flow.

The components I used are as follows:

PCV Valve: Microgard PCV 279 (cross for FRAM FV279) which is a generic valve for a 1990 Toyota Corolla

Grommet: dormanproducts.com p/n 42057 PCV Grommet (cross for Toyota 90480-18180)

The grommet fits the hole perfectly in the 914 breather box. The nipple on the valve is around 11mm diameter, which is a bit too small for the 13mm PCV hose (or elbow) on the 914. I currently just have the nipple on the valve wrapped with electrical tape to size it up to 13mm, but I plan to fit a proper adapter to size down the 13mm hose and connect directly to the valve. I suppose I could also fit the original elbow, but plan to just leave the hose exiting the valve vertically.

Here are the relevant pics:

I hope that somebody may find this useful. Comments are welcome and appreciated.

After seeing this post, I ordered the PCV valve and the grommet and installed them in my '74 2.0 today. Works like a champ!
+Quote Post
pbanders
post May 7 2022, 12:08 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 27 2022, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ Apr 27 2022, 05:43 PM) *

PCV Valve

$7.15

PCV Grommet

$3.19

You feel good about these? Tested and approved?

Just got them, not tested. First impression is that the flow rate is much lower than the stock PCV valve.
+Quote Post
Highland
post Sep 13 2022, 06:58 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 13,418
Region Association: Southern California

Wondering if anyone has used this pcv without the head vents/flashback valve? Does there need to be a fresh air intake?
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Sep 21 2022, 08:02 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Highland @ Sep 13 2022, 04:58 PM) *

Wondering if anyone has used this pcv without the head vents/flashback valve? Does there need to be a fresh air intake?

If you are running without the head vents I would run one of the later style oil towers and vent directly to the air cleaner with no PCV the way the factory did in later years.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:45 AM