Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MPS Tuning Analysis
Robarabian
post Sep 13 2022, 06:47 PM
Post #41

914 A Roo

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,865
Region Association: Southern California

I hate to revive this, but....I am now diving into this.

There is a conflicting post in this thread... which way to turn the inner/outer adjusters to richen versus lean...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Sep 13 2022, 07:22 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Sep 13 2022, 06:47 PM) *

I hate to revive this, but....I am now diving into this.

There is a conflicting post in this thread... which way to turn the inner/outer adjusters to richen versus lean...

There is a table on this site. And lots of good info. You really need an afr to tune it by hand though. And the kit from tangerine. I tried bench tuning mine, then on the dyno, but nothing beat my own afr and just driving. Oh a vacuum gauge is a good idea too. You run it lean and you could really hurt your motor.

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Sep 24 2022, 05:22 PM
Post #43

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

This is what I use.

Inside screw only cw part load lean, full load lean
Inside screw only ccw part load rich, full load rich

Inside and outside screws together cw part load no effect, full load lean
Inside and outside screws together ccw part load no effect, full load rich

Full load stop screw cw part load no effect, full load lean
Full load stop screw ccw part load no effect, full load rich
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Sep 25 2022, 08:36 AM
Post #44

914 A Roo

@mgphoto thank you I will use those as I progress.

NOTE: Tangerine'w rebuild kit is excellent and has everything you need. The instructions are excellent, with photos. The tool kit will hopefully make this a bit less stressful.

I could not get the stop screw out of the housing even after getting the epoxy scraped and melted out. They are a bugger! I emailed Chris and he said I could send it to him and he would get it done. It is on the way to him, and I am putting this here because our vendors and community make having these cars possible. So thank you to everyone and to Chris at Tangerine for the product and willingness to help.

I ended up finding a "Meterman" like in Pbanders article for a reasonable price so I can at least have a starting point setting it up electronically before running it on the car.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Sep 25 2022, 08:48 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Sep 25 2022, 08:36 AM) *

@mgphoto thank you I will use those as I progress.

NOTE: Tangerine'w rebuild kit is excellent and has everything you need. The instructions are excellent, with photos. The tool kit will hopefully make this a bit less stressful.

I could not get the stop screw out of the housing even after getting the epoxy scraped and melted out. They are a bugger! I emailed Chris and he said I could send it to him and he would get it done. It is on the way to him, and I am putting this here because our vendors and community make having these cars possible. So thank you to everyone and to Chris at Tangerine for the product and willingness to help.

I ended up finding a "Meterman" like in Pbanders article for a reasonable price so I can at least have a starting point setting it up electronically before running it on the car.

I have found that the interrelatedness of the adjustments results in a cascade of effects. Simply moving one screw does not result in a single linear outcome. The position of each can effect the performance of others. The stop screw (the one you couldn't get out), is really the only thing you can set and forget. Follow Chris's instructions for that closely (and do it on the bench). After that I suggest the afr and drive tuning. You can jump out and insert Chris's tool in the MPS and change it quickly. I found that after 3 or 4 runs on the interstate and up and down some hills I had a second sense for how it would react changing the inner and outer screws. It really isn't as straight forward as the table implies, although it is a great start. Really getting a good mental image of how the thing works internally helps as well. And that vacuum gauge really is a good addition (they are super cheap and don't require wiring, just t off your decel valve or any other manifold port). You need to know what vacuum you are pulling to do it right. just put it on the seat next to you, nothing permanent needed.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Sep 26 2022, 03:26 PM
Post #46

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Attached Image

Sorry! IT’S A JOKE!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Sep 26 2022, 04:49 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

That's awesome.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Sep 26 2022, 05:41 PM
Post #48

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

The guy that spent his life trying to dial it in properly is probably buried next to it.
+Quote Post
gonzo54
post Dec 1 2022, 01:24 PM
Post #49

Orange Crush

Member No.: 23,112

I'm not sure I understand half of the technical detail involed in MPS tuning and I don't have the equipment, so I'm looking for someone in the Southern California area that can provide this service. I know that I will have to add a Bung to my Bursch exhaust (cylinder #3?) Any advice or reource would be appreciated.

Thanks-Rick
+Quote Post
Quinn Moore
post Dec 1 2022, 02:05 PM
Post #50

Qmoore

Member No.: 25,718
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 1 2022, 01:24 PM) *

I'm not sure I understand half of the technical detail involed in MPS tuning and I don't have the equipment, so I'm looking for someone in the Southern California area that can provide this service. I know that I will have to add a Bung to my Bursch exhaust (cylinder #3?) Any advice or reource would be appreciated.

Thanks-Rick

I've sent (2) to FIC. for testing and rebuild.
(no affiliation).

https://fuelinjectioncorp.com/

QM
+Quote Post
gonzo54
post Dec 1 2022, 02:14 PM
Post #51

Orange Crush

QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Dec 1 2022, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 1 2022, 01:24 PM) *

Thanks-Rick

I've sent (2) to FIC. for testing and rebuild.
(no affiliation).

https://fuelinjectioncorp.com/

QM

I would like to take my car to someone that has the equipment and knowledge to fine tune the MPS
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Dec 1 2022, 04:52 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

There are probably about three people that fit that description. It really isn't bad but I can understand not wanting to try. Somebody in CA must have the know how, or is it just us New Englanders that obsess over MPS?
+Quote Post
gonzo54
post Dec 1 2022, 05:09 PM
Post #53

Orange Crush

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 1 2022, 02:52 PM) *

There are probably about three people that fit that description. It really isn't bad but I can understand not wanting to try. Somebody in CA must have the know how, or is it just us New Englanders that obsess over MPS?

That would be a long drive but what an adventure in a 914!
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Dec 1 2022, 05:12 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 26 2022, 01:26 PM) *

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Wasn't the 914 the first production car to be sold in the USA with fuel injection?
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Dec 1 2022, 07:35 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 1 2022, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Dec 1 2022, 02:52 PM) *

That would be a long drive but what an adventure in a 914!

I wouldn't chance it with out a tuned mps though...

I would love to drive cross country in mine. Wish I had the time.
+Quote Post
gonzo54
post Dec 1 2022, 08:15 PM
Post #56

Orange Crush

QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 1 2022, 11:24 AM) *

Thanks-Rick

Robert @Robarabian do you have any MPS tuning contacts in So Cal?

Thanks-Rick
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 1 2022, 08:50 PM
Post #57

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(windforfun @ Dec 1 2022, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 26 2022, 01:26 PM) *

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Wasn't the 914 the first production car to be sold in the USA with fuel injection?

No. Mechancial FI goes back to some 50's US production cars. Bosch Electronic FI...68 VWs I recall, but several makers came out with it about the same time.
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Dec 1 2022, 10:15 PM
Post #58

914 A Roo

Hi Rick. As I said in my post, I obtained the same test meter that PB Anders referred to. I have mine rebuilt now and bench adjusted. I got side tracked on my 914-6 conversion car and this car has been sitting. But it is installed. My goal is to get it started and then do some adjusting. I purchased an AFR meter that I can install, and I also have access to a CO meter for adjustment. I am learning it as well since there is nobody reliable around me that does it. I am happy to help you bench set yours up. If I am successful with the AFR install and tuning, Im happy to share the knowledge. It just may take a little time, I have to get the 6 on the road... hopefully in the next 2 weeks ( I have to travel for work next week).

We're not too far from each other so if you are totally stuck, hit me up. You have to be able to get to the adjustment screw which is that hardest part, removing that darn epoxy. You cant adjust without doing that.

I rebuilt mine, it holds vacuum, and all the electrics check out so far.

QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 1 2022, 06:15 PM) *

Thanks-Rick

Thanks-Rick

+Quote Post
gonzo54
post Dec 2 2022, 06:22 PM
Post #59

Orange Crush

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 1 2022, 08:15 PM) *

Hi Rick. As I said in my post, I obtained the same test meter that PB Anders referred to. I have mine rebuilt now and bench adjusted. I got side tracked on my 914-6 conversion car and this car has been sitting. But it is installed. My goal is to get it started and then do some adjusting. I purchased an AFR meter that I can install, and I also have access to a CO meter for adjustment. I am learning it as well since there is nobody reliable around me that does it. I am happy to help you bench set yours up. If I am successful with the AFR install and tuning, Im happy to share the knowledge. It just may take a little time, I have to get the 6 on the road... hopefully in the next 2 weeks ( I have to travel for work next week).

We're not too far from each other so if you are totally stuck, hit me up. You have to be able to get to the adjustment screw which is that hardest part, removing that darn epoxy. You cant adjust without doing that.

Thanks-Rick

Thanks-Rick

Thanks Robert, I'm currently rebuilding my motor-my MPS is working but I found a lot of carbon in the heads. So I hope to have it running late January and begin the break in. I'll see how it's running and probably contact you early spring to see if an adjustment can be made. I do have a question regarding welding in the bung, I have a Bursch exhaust - should the bung be welded in #3 exhaust and what size and threads on the bung?

Thanks again for the advice-Rick
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Dec 2 2022, 09:51 PM
Post #60

914 A Roo

PM me and we can talk offline and keep this from bumping up top... That part is easy.

QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Dec 2 2022, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 1 2022, 08:15 PM) *

Thanks-Rick

Thanks-Rick

Thanks Robert, I'm currently rebuilding my motor-my MPS is working but I found a lot of carbon in the heads. So I hope to have it running late January and begin the break in. I'll see how it's running and probably contact you early spring to see if an adjustment can be made. I do have a question regarding welding in the bung, I have a Bursch exhaust - should the bung be welded in #3 exhaust and what size and threads on the bung?

Thanks again for the advice-Rick

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:56 AM