Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> type 4 line bore, I need a line bore in tucson az.
goobstine
post Aug 21 2020, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,908
Region Association: None

will a type 4 vanagon crank slip into a type 4 914 case?
will a 2.0 crank fit into a 1.7 case with out machining ?
will a 200 mm flywheel and pressure plate that is made to fit type 4 crank work okay with 1.7 thru 2.0 ?
will 215mm flywheel from bus be okay with 914 transmission ?
bus crank has pilot bearing in shaft 914 has in flywheel how do i go about using bus crank in 914 engine
thank you !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
porschetub
post Aug 21 2020, 11:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(goobstine @ Aug 22 2020, 04:23 PM) *

will a 200 mm flywheel and pressure plate that is made to fit type 4 crank work okay with 1.7 thru 2.0 ?
bus crank has pilot bearing in shaft 914 has in flywheel how do i go about using bus crank in 914 engine.

most likely if air-cooled motor and 71mm stroke crank which I think they are,
Yes ,the 1.7 is a strong case and preferred by many engine builders,
Yes but no,you need the proper flywheel (size) for a T4,nothing 200ml around now as only used on early 411 motors,pretty rare .
No, bus 215mm (75 bus) flywheel has different offset for bellhousing and starter,same clutch disk.
change the bearing to fit in the flywheel,the 914 g/box has a shorter input shaft so I seem to remember you can leave the pilot in the bus crank without issue...some may comment,no problem.
Be aware that if you use old bus parts you have to expect more wear than parts used in the 914 because of the weight of the bus.
Mixing and matching parts just makes things harder than it needs to be.
+Quote Post
goobstine
post Aug 22 2020, 12:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,908

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 22 2020, 12:47 AM) *

QUOTE(goobstine @ Aug 22 2020, 04:23 PM) *

bus crank has pilot bearing in shaft 914 has in flywheel how do i go about using bus crank in 914 engine.

most likely if air-cooled motor and 71mm stroke crank which I think they are,
Yes ,the 1.7 is a strong case and preferred by many engine builders,
Yes but no,you need the proper flywheel (size) for a T4,nothing 200ml around now as only used on early 411 motors,pretty rare .
No, bus 215mm (75 bus) flywheel has different offset for bellhousing and starter,same clutch disk.
change the bearing to fit in the flywheel,the 914 g/box has a shorter input shaft so I seem to remember you can leave the pilot in the bus crank without issue...some may comment,no problem.
Be aware that if you use old bus parts you have to expect more wear than parts used in the 914 because of the weight of the bus.
Mixing and matching parts just makes things harder than it needs to be.

thank you, I do have a 200 mm flywheel clutch and pressure plate to fit type 4 crank so that is a yes then right? no to 215 bus flywheel because of gear mesh to flywheel and starter i think? or the difference in width of flywheel is different by .250 or so ?? 1.7 case is good to drop 2.0 crank into. yes to 2.0 vanagon crank fit into 1.7 case. because of the way I bought 20 type 4 engines mix match is part of the process i must use to complete with small money. thank you i hope to see more comments
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:58 AM