Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> oil return tubes on 2.0 six, changed to: not stock, so what do I have?
porschetub
post Sep 2 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 3 2020, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Sep 2 2020, 01:14 PM) *

To my mind, a spring loaded assembly like this would be better than a rigid tube. ..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) , how can this not be better than no spring at all, at least for after market? I've seen 'em before too.. but maybe it was type I, not sure. Do we know for sure that Type I's have different dimensions? I might be interested in getting some.

The spring is on the inside of the replacement 911 return tube to compress it into the gap,no other reason,the external spring VW one is designed to compress the cup type (conical ?) seals in the case and heads.. different use but principal is the same to get around engine pulling your engine apart.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Sep 3 2020, 05:32 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 2 2020, 11:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 3 2020, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Sep 2 2020, 01:14 PM) *

To my mind, a spring loaded assembly like this would be better than a rigid tube. ..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) , how can this not be better than no spring at all, at least for after market? I've seen 'em before too.. but maybe it was type I, not sure. Do we know for sure that Type I's have different dimensions? I might be interested in getting some.

The spring is on the inside of the replacement 911 return tube to compress it into the gap,no other reason,the external spring VW one is designed to compress the cup type (conical ?) seals in the case and heads.. different use but principal is the same to get around engine pulling your engine apart.

I worked on a lot of VW type 1/2/3 engines 'back in the day'. The pushrod/oil tubes are vastly different from a Porsche 6. Much smaller and as mentioned, a conical seal on the ends. I put the heat exchanger back on without messing with the 'mystery' tubes. Someday when I (or someone else) pulls the engine, we can get an answer. I did put a magnet to them, the spring is obviously steel, and it sticks about 1/3 of the length of the large tube. Maybe from the smaller steel(?) tube being inside. The rest of the large tube appears to be aluminum, but pretty heavy duty. Again, I would have to pull one, but sure looks like a nice solution for the original fixed tubes, or compression replacements. These are 40+yrs old, so have held up well.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 08:42 PM