Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any D Jet experts in Seattle?
rjames
post Sep 7 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #21

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Checked MPS and not leaking. It's a replacement from original as a spare was included with the car in a box of old parts

Very likely it needs to be tuned for your car. They aren’t always ‘plug and play’.
Might explain why it was running just ‘ok’ before.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 7 2020, 02:50 PM
Post #22

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Bypass the CSV, you don't need it and it's a problem point. Does behavior change if you pull the hose off the MPS?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Robson51
post Sep 8 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 23,654

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 6 2020, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Robson51 @ Sep 6 2020, 08:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 5 2020, 06:12 PM) *

"ECU is 11 clicks from full stop left"
Do you mean it is turned CW or CCW? There should be a small notch at the idle mix knob so I would set it there. That is the Factory setting I am not sure how you have it set.

I heard from Continental Motors to turn it all the way CCW then back to the right CW 11 clicks. It’s back to the factory setting.

No, there is a tiny notch in the lip and that is the Factory setting. But the way to set the idle mix is to run the car until its hot say, 20 minutes of driving. Plug the AAR hoses to make sure no leaks and then adjust the idle screw on the ECU slowly till it runs the best. Wait 30 secs at each click for the engine to adjust to the new mixture setting. 11 clicks CW sounds really rich to me. I'll take a pic of the notch.

Did you ever get around to taking a picture of your ECU and the notch?

Thanks-
+Quote Post
Robson51
post Sep 14 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #24

for an update-car is running and getting better all the time.

Blocked off the Cold Start, grounded the CHT and blocked off the Auxiliary Air Valve. Retraced all the vacuum hoses and found a PO mistake there. ECU set in the middle.

Fresh plugs and a long drive and it's running better.

Rechecked the MPS with a better vacuum gauge. It will not hold vacuum, so is being sent out for repair.

Once the MPS is back, I'll start adding components back in. Hopefully it will let it start easier!

Any other things to look for?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 14 2020, 02:10 PM
Post #25

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

I think I have a good used one if you want for reasonable
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 14 2020, 03:22 PM
Post #26

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

QUOTE(Robson51 @ Sep 14 2020, 10:42 AM) *
Rechecked the MPS with a better vacuum gauge. It will not hold vacuum, so is being sent out for repair.

A bad MPS will do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 14 2020, 03:44 PM
Post #27

Cross Member

QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 14 2020, 02:22 PM) *

THIS is why i asked you to pull the hose from the MPS and report the difference. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Some clues point to obvious and when it only takes SECONDS to test....
+Quote Post
Robson51
post Sep 15 2020, 03:43 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 14 2020, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 14 2020, 02:22 PM) *

THIS is why i asked you to pull the hose from the MPS and report the difference. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Some clues point to obvious and when it only takes SECONDS to test....

Actually, it died when I did that. The leakdown takes a good minute to go to zero.
+Quote Post
Robson51
post Sep 15 2020, 03:50 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 14 2020, 01:10 PM) *

I think I have a good used one if you want for reasonable

Thanks but sent to Bowlsby already.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 15 2020, 07:11 PM
Post #30

Cross Member

QUOTE(Robson51 @ Sep 15 2020, 02:43 PM) *

Actually, it died when I did that. The leakdown takes a good minute to go to zero.

Sorry about that, I took it too literal when you said it won't hold a vacuum. Holding for a minute isn't as bad as it sounded, and since it died when you pulled the hose it also shows it was holding some vacuum. Sounds like there's more going on than just the MPS diaphragm. Good luck, you're in good hands.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 16 2020, 08:21 AM
Post #31

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 15 2020, 06:11 PM) *

Sorry about that, I took it too literal when you said it won't hold a vacuum. Holding for a minute isn't as bad as it sounded, and since it died when you pulled the hose it also shows it was holding some vacuum. Sounds like there's more going on than just the MPS diaphragm. Good luck, you're in good hands.

That just means the diaphragm is cracked halfway and not completely blown apart.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 16 2020, 04:04 PM
Post #32

Cross Member

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 16 2020, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 15 2020, 06:11 PM) *

That just means the diaphragm is cracked halfway and not completely blown apart.

Clearly. Just saying there's probably more to it than just the diaphragm given it does hold that long. But hoping the returned unit is a fix.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Sep 16 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #33

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Stop me if you've heard this one ( i know you haven't)

A priest , a cop , and a witchdoctor walk into a bar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

The priest says . anybody know how to fix a 914 with djet
The cop says those cant still be around . all have broken down or caught on fire. And even if they were still around nobody go's thru all that hassel for 81 horsepower

The witchdoctor says hey ill take a look . but pray for me

The preist says . i gave up praying and started drinking a long time ago . thats why im in a bar . ill just get some carbs instead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) so i wont always be operating on a wing and a prayer as djet although lasting well past its intended lifetime is no longer worth saving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
rjames
post Sep 16 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #34

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

@Rand Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the engine would run at all if the hose to the MPS is disconnected, with or without plugging the hose.
Not trying to be an ass, just want to understand what could be learned from removing the hose to the MPS in this situation if the above is true. Seems akin to disconnecting the fuel pump while the engine is running to try and determine if there is an issue with the pump not delivering enough fuel.

I'm also betting that a rebuilt MPS that is properly calibrated for Robson51's engine will solve the issue. An MPS that only holds vacuum for a minute could cause all of the issues described.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 16 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #35

Cross Member

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 16 2020, 03:35 PM) *

@Rand Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the engine would run at all if the hose to the MPS is disconnected, with or without plugging the hose.
Not trying to be an ass, just want to understand what could be learned from removing the hose to the MPS in this situation if the above is true. Seems akin to disconnecting the fuel pump while the engine is running to try and determine if there is an issue with the pump not delivering enough fuel.

I'm also betting that a rebuilt MPS that is properly calibrated for Robson51's engine will solve the issue. An MPS that only holds vacuum for a minute could cause all of the issues described.

Pulling the vacuum hose from the mps causes a full-rich scenario, like if the diaphragm wouldn't hold any vacuum (which is why that 2 second test would have said a lot if it didn't change things). Correct, it should not run (unless there was a major vacuum leak below the flap in the throttle body). I was just going off the phrase "won't hold a vacuum" before I learned it was over a minute. I guess the semantics hold vs. pull were key. Hopefully the replacement MPS does the trick.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 16 2020, 07:03 PM
Post #36

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 16 2020, 03:18 PM) *

Stop me if you've heard this one ( i know you haven't)

A priest , a cop , and a witchdoctor walk into a bar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

The priest says . anybody know how to fix a 914 with djet
The cop says those cant still be around . all have broken down or caught on fire. And even if they were still around nobody go's thru all that hassel for 81 horsepower

The witchdoctor says hey ill take a look . but pray for me

The preist says . i gave up praying and started drinking a long time ago . thats why im in a bar . ill just get some carbs instead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) so i wont always be operating on a wing and a prayer as djet although lasting well past its intended lifetime is no longer worth saving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

I had Dual Dells on my car when I bought it in 1995 and that's what started me to install Djet back on the car as I couldn't stand the damn carbs.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 16 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #37

Cross Member

logoman loves to stir the carb pot. I get it, it's his thing. Kinda stupid in modern times, and moreso by the post. But hey, to each their own.
When I was driving from sea level to Sierra summits, in all temps... I loved my djet. Robson will love his too.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 16 2020, 08:35 PM
Post #38

Aircooled Baby!

My has run so well since 1997 I can't bring myself to switch over to MS or some other more modern EFI. Even with cam changes and head improvements its been easy to adjust. I probably leave some hp on the table but its plenty the way it is now.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 16 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #39

Cross Member

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 16 2020, 07:35 PM) *

My has run so well since 1997 I can't bring myself to switch over to MS or some other more modern EFI. Even with cam changes and head improvements its been easy to adjust. I probably leave some hp on the table but its plenty the way it is now.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Nor should you. With a stock cam, you know you aren't leaving hp on the table. I guess some mega expensive options could fine tune it better. But the point is, all better than carbs when you consider the variety of conditions.

Carbs rock when tuned for specific full engine builds at specific altitudes, yada. But carbs are stupid and have to have manual changes that nobody wants to do when they have to deal with those changes. EFI just handles it. I know, preaching to the choir... well to those who can sing.

Sorry this got off topic.
+Quote Post
bobforman
post Sep 16 2020, 11:39 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 10,242

Try George at Porbug in Edmonds.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:04 AM