Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel Pump Question, tech question
BadToTheBown
post Sep 7 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,488
Region Association: None

I'm the new proud owner of Tom's old track car (914/6 2.4) and I'm getting ready to club race it (SWMS in ABQ NM) and I have a strong gas smell in my garage with it in there and trying to run it down. I know the fuel cell bladder was well inspected and got new foam last year and is using 2 older (pre-2013?) Mallory electric fuel pumps (pics below). I've read the smell can come from them and I'm looking at rebuilding them but cannot tell which model they are and asking if a member recognizes which they are?Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 8 2020, 10:19 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm only guessing... look like holley low pressure maybe...

but the fuel smell could easily be coming from the carbs.
if the car has ran in the garage... then the 4 fuel bowls are full to the carbs... I sometimes drain the bowls. mine will evaporate completely in about 24-36 hours into the atmosphere on my -6 in the garage
+Quote Post
BadToTheBown
post Sep 8 2020, 07:03 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 8 2020, 10:19 AM) *

I'm only guessing... look like holley low pressure maybe...

but the fuel smell could easily be coming from the carbs.
if the car has ran in the garage... then the 4 fuel bowls are full to the carbs... I sometimes drain the bowls. mine will evaporate completely in about 24-36 hours into the atmosphere on my -6 in the garage

Thanx for the follow-up. They're Weber 40 IDA3Cs, I have a lot to lean about Webers, not to mention Porsche boxers, are the bowls hard to drain and I'd be interested in some pics of how you painted your car, I might make some changes to mine and looking for ideas...
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Sep 9 2020, 01:34 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,985

Especially if you are running pump gas, draining the float bowls is a good idea when the car sits. Today's pump gas gums up carburetors.

This may be what Brant was saying, but another reason for gas smell on a carbed car - if you run the fuel pump for a while with the engine off, gas will overflow from the float bowls and start dumping into the engine. This isn't great for obvious reasons, two of them being gas smell and potential fire hazard.

Nice purchase, by the way. I noticed the car for sale and thought it looked like a good deal. And welcome to 914 World!
+Quote Post
BadToTheBown
post Sep 9 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Sep 9 2020, 01:34 PM) *

Especially if you are running pump gas, draining the float bowls is a good idea when the car sits. Today's pump gas gums up carburetors.

This may be what Brant was saying, but another reason for gas smell on a carbed car - if you run the fuel pump for a while with the engine off, gas will overflow from the float bowls and start dumping into the engine. This isn't great for obvious reasons, two of them being gas smell and potential fire hazard.

Nice purchase, by the way. I noticed the car for sale and thought it looked like a good deal. And welcome to 914 World!

Thanx and Tom's a great guy. Wish we could hang out but he's 2 state too far away.

They are 2 low pres pumps, looks like 4 lbs on 1 pump and close to 9 lbs on 2 pumps. I'm still figuring out why I have 2 pumps. I see 4 lbs for idle (to not overcome the bowls) and I can see 8 lbs for WOT but I think I need a lot more HP to need the 2nd pump. This engine probably only makes 180 or so HP.

I don't know how to drain the bowls (is on pump gas, 93 octane), so I'm guess I'm going to learn, thanx...
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 9 2020, 02:07 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I can't really tell the routing and plumbing from your pictures.

usually 2 pumps are used when there is a surge tank
I have that set up in my -6 race car
do you have a separate surge tank that one pump fills?

on most systems... one pump fills the remote tank
the other pump feeds the carbs from the remote tank

the surge tank is used to prevent fuel slosh in the big tank that would cause pick up problems in a corner
(it was created for FI systems that are more sensitive to pressure changes than the bowl of a carb. would be)

each carb has 3 throats... but only 2 bowls
a brass bolt, 10mm head... is the drain to the bowl
the bowl is between two of the throats

if it wasn't snowing.. I'd go get you a picture..

so draining the bowls: I use a butter container... small margarine or even yogurt container

it has to be small to fit up tight to the screw... pull the screw, drain the fuel into the plastic container and put the screw back in.

you don't want to over tighten these hollow brass screws... that thread into fragile castings
+Quote Post
BadToTheBown
post Sep 11 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 9 2020, 02:07 PM) *

I can't really tell the routing and plumbing from your pictures.

usually 2 pumps are used when there is a surge tank
I have that set up in my -6 race car
do you have a separate surge tank that one pump fills?

on most systems... one pump fills the remote tank
the other pump feeds the carbs from the remote tank

the surge tank is used to prevent fuel slosh in the big tank that would cause pick up problems in a corner
(it was created for FI systems that are more sensitive to pressure changes than the bowl of a carb. would be)

each carb has 3 throats... but only 2 bowls
a brass bolt, 10mm head... is the drain to the bowl
the bowl is between two of the throats

if it wasn't snowing.. I'd go get you a picture..

so draining the bowls: I use a butter container... small margarine or even yogurt container

it has to be small to fit up tight to the screw... pull the screw, drain the fuel into the plastic container and put the screw back in.

you don't want to over tighten these hollow brass screws... that thread into fragile castings

Saw you guys got snow. Sandia down here did too. I'm in the foothills, so just rain. I'll find it, thanx for pointing me. I'm going to map out the oil cooling and fuel systems and I'll look for a surge tank...
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Sep 17 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #8

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

I had the same problem, I installed a off switch on the ground circuit to the fuel pump. When I shut the car down I turn off fuel pump and run her out of fuel.
No more gas smell in the garage unless there's a problem.
+Quote Post
BadToTheBown
post Sep 18 2020, 12:10 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Sep 17 2020, 01:45 PM) *

I had the same problem, I installed a off switch on the ground circuit to the fuel pump. When I shut the car down I turn off fuel pump and run her out of fuel.
No more gas smell in the garage unless there's a problem.

Hmmm....I'm wired to do that now, I'll try it, thanx....
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Oct 5 2020, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Be patient. It will probably take longer to run the bowls dry than you think it should. You can probably hear your fuel pumps running. Rest assured that if they aren't running when you start the car, that you're just running on the fuel bowls and they will eventually run dry.
+Quote Post
BadToTheBown
post Oct 5 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(PlaysWithCars @ Oct 5 2020, 09:47 PM) *

Be patient. It will probably take longer to run the bowls dry than you think it should. You can probably hear your fuel pumps running. Rest assured that if they aren't running when you start the car, that you're just running on the fuel bowls and they will eventually run dry.

Did it, it doesn't take long to run out, still have gas smell but less, thanx...
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Oct 6 2020, 08:02 AM
Post #12

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

That completely cured mine. My tank vents my fuel in the tank dry and I don't smell anything. Before I installed the off switch I went looking for a leak every where, I found a couple of places that were wet and fixed them but when everything was dry I still smelled fuel. I kept sniffing around the tank but it was not the source. It was the carbs so I installed the switch. The fuel lineholds a miniscule amount of fuel and tightening up the connections stopped the wet spots. Now I smell gear oil like 90 weight. But it doesn't bother me. My fuel tank is made for a drag boat and is conical at the bottom. With a very large vent at the top. It seems to breathe fuel cause it's always dry.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
BadToTheBown
post Oct 6 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Oct 6 2020, 08:02 AM) *

That completely cured mine. My tank vents my fuel in the tank dry and I don't smell anything. Before I installed the off switch I went looking for a leak every where, I found a couple of places that were wet and fixed them but when everything was dry I still smelled fuel. I kept sniffing around the tank but it was not the source. It was the carbs so I installed the switch. The fuel lineholds a miniscule amount of fuel and tightening up the connections stopped the wet spots. Now I smell gear oil like 90 weight. But it doesn't bother me. My fuel tank is made for a drag boat and is conical at the bottom. With a very large vent at the top. It seems to breathe fuel cause it's always dry.

Attached Image

It's better, not cured. I've also read it can be the fuel pumps (membrane in them) but cannot see any clear evidence of that. Their race Mallorys...
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Oct 22 2020, 09:29 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,377

Mine runs a Holley. I'll snap a pic when I'm in the garage next.
When you have a minute could you post a pic from further back of the bracing in your front trunk? Mine has had the bulkhead wall cut out too but no reinforcement. That's a project for this winter on mine. Thx.
+Quote Post
BadToTheBown
post Oct 22 2020, 07:38 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Oct 22 2020, 09:29 AM) *

Mine runs a Holley. I'll snap a pic when I'm in the garage next.
When you have a minute could you post a pic from further back of the bracing in your front trunk? Mine has had the bulkhead wall cut out too but no reinforcement. That's a project for this winter on mine. Thx.

As requested...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Oct 23 2020, 10:36 AM
Post #16

Thanks!
I'll uncover mine today and get a snap of the FP. I'm planning a fuel cell swap this winter and while that's all apart it's a good time address some stiffening issues.
-C
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Oct 23 2020, 06:25 PM
Post #17

My pump and filter. Holley “Red Electric”
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:19 AM