Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> welp this happened, think mcfly think
bludden
post Sep 23 2020, 01:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,380
Region Association: South East States

I didn't engage the parking brake hard enough and it rolled into a tree. At first my trunk lock was stuck but using the rubber mallet treatment it came loose - its got spring tension but nothing is releasing. I can't get the trunk to open. Most of my good tools as well as my targa top is in there. Any suggestions? I was thinking i could take the bolts off the front of the trunk and get in there but that seems to be a pretty bad option.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bretth
post Sep 23 2020, 01:34 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ugh. So sorry to see this. I hear that others go in through the engine compartment and push the plastic cups out where the targa sits in the trunk. Then use many socket extensions to reach and loosen the truck latch bolts. Not sure how doable this is with the top in the trunk though. Hopefully others will chime in.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 23 2020, 02:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Oh No! sorry for what happened to your car. About opening the rear trunk, if the passenger side lens is not repairable, probably you can just cut it or something that you can use your arm to go in there and reach the latch.
If you want to access from the engine on the plastic cups like mentioned above, that will be better except if you have lots of items there that is blocking to access to the latch.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bludden
post Sep 23 2020, 02:34 PM
Post #4

yeah the tail light seems to be the best bet, it will need to be replaced anyways. Im scheduled to go to TN tomorrow but if the trunk is really broken and half the tail lights are out, not sure how I'm going to do it...
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 23 2020, 02:40 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bludden @ Sep 23 2020, 01:34 PM) *

yeah the tail light seems to be the best bet, it will need to be replaced anyways. Im scheduled to go to TN tomorrow but if the trunk is really broken and half the tail lights are out, not sure how I'm going to do it...

damaged is repairable and I’m sure if you need replacement rear trunk, someone from our members can help.
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Sep 23 2020, 02:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

When I accidentally put my trunk lock on upside down (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I was locked out. I unbolted the hinges and was able to lift the trunk enough to get to the bolts holding the latch (10mm). My top was in the trunk as well. I dont have the springs on though so I'm not sure how that will factor in.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 23 2020, 04:20 PM
Post #7

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
bludden
post Sep 23 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #8

Well I managed to get it open. Tore off the already broken lens, some of the tail light mount was already broken so I took some more off to clear the bottom and top, managed to get the tail light plastic that has the screw mounts to the point where I could screw them off, removed 2 screws for the reflective piece to remove it and pop the bulb mounts out, then cut off the inside wall of the mount and out to the mounting post so I could reach behind and undo the first 2 nuts, then another cut out in the middle of the piece to get to the other 2 bolts. Then I was able to reach into the trunk and remove the 2 bolts for the lid lock. Tomorrow I will see what I can do about getting everything back together so everyone in TN can laugh at my misfortune. If I do go I will have the lights together, but the passenger side lens is toast. If anyone has an extra to sell please let me know, it can be ugly if it works as I'll be replacing the entire assembly when the car is fixed.Attached Image
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Sep 23 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

You're in my prayers. Take it slow. This can be fully restored to as good as new.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Sep 23 2020, 07:08 PM
Post #10

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

I found a taillight housing that is in kinda rough shape but you are welcome to it if nothing better comes your way. No luck on a lens, however.

I will bring it to Teenerpalüza.

steve
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Sep 23 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 21,628

Tangentially related and I hope it's not a hijack - but do most of you engage a gear in addition to setting the parking brake?

edit - and my bad for not including this originally @bludden but i'm sorry about this incident and it really sucks.
+Quote Post
RRietman
post Sep 23 2020, 07:43 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,124

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 23 2020, 06:37 PM) *

Tangentially related and I hope it's not a hijack - but do most of you engage a gear in addition to setting the parking brake?

of course--- always. learned to drive a manual shift in 1967 and you NEVER trust a handbrake
+Quote Post
bludden
post Sep 23 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 23 2020, 09:37 PM) *

edit - and my bad for not including this originally @bludden but i'm sorry about this incident and it really sucks.

I always put it into first. Except this time. I had a bunch of stuff to carry into the house and it just slipped my mind. Also theres a dumpster we we rented for the week that they put at the top of the driveway this morning where it's almost flat so I was on more of an incline than the car is on usually.

I have full coverage on the car from the same company as my homeowners, wonder if any of this would be covered? I've never had an insurance claim in my life lolAttached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Sep 23 2020, 09:19 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

First of all – sorry to see this, I bet that had to be stomach churning.

Policies and coverage vary, but if this were Hagerty they would simply bring it to an agreed to shop, their person would come over write up the damage amount, and then they would pay to get it fixed. It shouldn’t come anywhere close to totaling the car, so I am inclined to think that you’re covered. Use it – my guess is that a professional shop would not try to hammer that out but instead pull it and they should be able to check dimensions in the process .

I might want to start checking around to see if there are 914 experience shops in the area.

Hang in there – as the others have suggested that is eminently repairable.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 24 2020, 12:03 AM
Post #15

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

That sucks.
You may be luck enough that you can locate a rear deck lid to repaint and I'm thinking it may be possible to pull out the damage. A pic of the inside trunk at the seam would let you know, but it's possible from the way the cross support goes that it could be pulled.
From what I can see it should be able to be repaired at any reputable body shop.
+Quote Post
Arno914
post Sep 24 2020, 12:44 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 24,260
Region Association: Germany

Sorry to see this. I can imagine how angry you are on yourself for not engaging first gear. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
A good bodyshop will be able to pull it out. Don´t cut the panel out and destroy the original spot welds and seam sealing
I was rear ended by a drunk driver last year in my Peugeot cabriolet. The damage ist comparable to yours and was fixed within a few days. No bondo, just a bit of tin was used to even out slightly after pulling.

Good luck!

Arno

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/up.picr.de-24260-1600929845.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/up.picr.de-24260-1600929847.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
bludden
post Sep 24 2020, 07:45 AM
Post #17

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Going to see what I can do this morning to get things back together and hopefully feel good enough to put it on the road to TN.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 24 2020, 10:18 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Have you tried paintless dent guy to check if they can fix that? I watched several guy doing that kind of job and they can fix worst than that (based on the picture you have shared). For the rear bumper, try to contact ValcoOscar if he has extra he can sell from
his group bumper chroming.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:41 PM