Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 9 10 11  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this really goin to happen?, 2035 Phase Out all new gas cars
SirAndy
post Oct 1 2020, 04:52 PM
Post #201

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 1 2020, 03:17 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2020, 05:53 PM) *
Except, those views were dictated by the church and those who dared to challenge them were scientists.

Would you be willing to agree with me that in many ways the Church was a defacto government during Newton's life that was attempting to use it's power to influence and/or control science?

I know exactly where you are going with this but you are wrong. There is overwhelming consensus in the scientific community with mountains of evidence and countless research projects that produce(d) repeatable results.

All that regardless of the current flavor of government/corporations/cabal ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 1 2020, 05:07 PM
Post #202

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 1 2020, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 1 2020, 03:17 PM) *
Except, those views were dictated by the church and those who dared to challenge them were scientists.

Would you be willing to agree with me that in many ways the Church was a defacto government during Newton's life that was attempting to use it's power to influence and/or control science?

I know exactly where you are going with this but you are wrong. There is overwhelming consensus in the scientific community with mountains of evidence and countless research projects that produce(d) repeatable results.

All that regardless of the current flavor of government/corporations/cabal ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Not really where I was going, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Oct 1 2020, 05:16 PM
Post #203

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Californians pay $ .47 a gallon gas tax. I wonder how is the state going to make up for that funding loss when so many cars go electric?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 1 2020, 05:22 PM
Post #204

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 1 2020, 04:17 PM) *

It's really hard to respond to that without getting political so I'll tread lightly. In my 35 years working with scientists in state and federal agencies, I have only once had an agency try to change language in a scientific report and in that case, the scientists prevailed because we unanimously threatened to remove our names from the report if they continued to insist on the changes they wanted. That's also the only incident I'm aware of among all the many scientists I know, including some who have worked highly sensitive projects like the Deep Water Horizon oil spill and would have been ripe for political pressure because what they were finding was going to make a lot of people unhappy. There have also been a couple cases where news stories broke claiming a case of the government gagging scientists or doctoring results where I knew the scientists involved well enough to get the inside scoop. Nope. It didn't happen. I'm sure it does happen, but it has to be rare. I'll also say I have not collaborated with federal scientists in the last four years and leave it at that.

Where politics can influence science is through funding but even there, the influence is much less than you would think.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 1 2020, 09:25 PM
Post #205

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 1 2020, 05:16 PM) *

The LA smog was/is a good motivator and the research led to new understanding and big changes, but you cannot say it would have never happened without the CA mandate.

Not to be rude, but that is invalid logic.

-looks like you forfeited on the carbon footprint bet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No, I was just not wanting to be overly argumentative. My guess is that we use about 1/5 of the electricity that you do in a given year, and the significant majority of that is consciously during time periods were SoCal is generating most if not all of its electricity from renewable sources. We consume very little animal protein and for better/worse don’t really do a whole lot by way of air travel anymore, and I have worked from home for about 12 years now. I realized I needed to put my money where my mouth is and try to be responsible about the footprint that we were imposing on the planet especially given the number of vintage cars that I keep around. I recognize it’s not a get out of jail card free but I’ve given a non-trivial amount of money to reforestation efforts. I trust that this will be read as a factual response to your inquiry rather than being preachy.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 1 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #206

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 1 2020, 05:43 PM) *

I'm glad they do it for a lot of things but California, if you put Prop 65 health warnings on EVERYTHING, it means NOTHING. I'm sitting here with a Pertronix Ignitor box and there it is. I wasn't planning to eat it or take a bath with this thing but thanks I guess... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Literally LOL.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 1 2020, 09:59 PM
Post #207

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 1 2020, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 1 2020, 05:16 PM) *

-looks like you forfeited on the carbon footprint bet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No, I was just not wanting to be overly argumentative. My guess is that we use about 1/5 of the electricity that you do in a given year, and the significant majority of that is consciously during time periods were SoCal is generating most if not all of its electricity from renewable sources. We consume very little animal protein and for better/worse don’t really do a whole lot by way of air travel anymore, and I have worked from home for about 12 years now. I realized I needed to put my money where my mouth is and try to be responsible about the footprint that were and printing on the planet especially given the number of vintage cars that I keep around. I recognize it’s not a get out of jail card free but I’ve given a non-trivial amount of money to reforestation efforts. I trust that this will be read as a factual response to your inquiry rather than being preachy.

Since we have both invested heavily in doing more than average... I call it a draw (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 2 2020, 06:26 AM
Post #208

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 1 2020, 10:59 PM) *

Since we have both invested heavily in doing more than average... I call it a draw (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Works for me, and if you find yourself in SoCal it would be my honor to buy the first round.
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:39 AM