Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NAPA Platinum Oil FIlter, Some Compairisons
914Sixer
post Sep 24 2020, 05:11 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

After reading about how poor FRAM oil filters were I did some info work on the NAPA filters. I chose the top of the line Platinum 914-6 one to use on the 2056. Did engine run in with a Mahle/Kecht filter made in Austria. I had picked up a FRAM to replace it with so I had one for comparison. Went with the NAPA Platinum one for the -6 engine. On the side of the filter it shows to made by MANN/HUMMEL not WIX. The -6 filter is about 1 1/2" longer than the stock 914 filter. It is a direct fit with no problems. It hangs about even with hump on the engine block. Thinking it should give some extra filtration. Please correct me if my thinking is incorrect.

Noticed the stock FRAM filter had concave drain where the MAHLE and NAPA were flat. NAPA filter had 6 larger holes and the two smaller filters had 8 smaller hole. FRAM filter was the top of the line not the cheap one. Saw no rust inside, filtration internal looked similar in quality to the two other filters.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Sep 24 2020, 06:18 PM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

And the NAPA can act as a dry sump, it's darn big.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 24 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Watched a cut away video on that premium Fram filter and the only real issue was they had gotten sloppy with the glue and you could see where glue would have clogged some of the filter media from the start. That doesn't speak well to quality control but otherwise the materials and construction looked to be as high quality as NAPA and others - no cardboard and crap like the cheap Fram filters.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Sep 24 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #4

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

And i dont disagree about fram being

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

But you can compare platinum or premium napa stuff
To fram standard filter . im sure the fram ultra is better quality?

But also if im not mistaken. All exotic cars .ferrari , corvette etc. Come from the factory with fram filter .
Most have 2x or dual oil filtration setup ??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
bretth
post Sep 25 2020, 09:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

I remember hearing a few years ago that Wix was purchased by another company so I do not know if it will still say Wix on the outside of the filters.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Sep 25 2020, 05:20 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bretth @ Sep 25 2020, 10:19 AM) *

I remember hearing a few years ago that Wix was purchased by another company so I do not know if it will still say Wix on the outside of the filters.

I was part of the other oil filter thread. Pulled my FRAM ExtraGuard filter and installed a Wix XP. Just looked at the box and it says made by Mann & Hummel. Logo on the filter says Wix.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:08 PM