Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brave New Teener World, Back into public
StarBear
post Sep 27 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

As I'm getting more comfortable with coming out in public during this pandemic thing, I've been experiencing a Brave New Teener World. 914s are getting almost all the attention!
Went to an informal concours - only about 30 cars and mine was the only 914. The color (Zambezi Green) set it apart from the sea of black, silver and white Porsches. All morning there was a stream of folks looking/asking about it, so got only a few minutes to check out a fabulous 968S Guards Red special edition. The young folks were especially interested in the teener -- and the 2017 GT4 (no shame there!)
This morning went to a Coffee & XXX event with about 6 other Porsches; same thing. Most of the younger folks had either heard of, but never seen, a 914 and the others hadn't heard of nor ever seen one. First question was usually asking "What color is that?" Told them that while there are a few around here in Northern NJ, they're seldom seen "in the wild" very often. They chuckled.
Might get myself, and "Frogger" out a bit more now.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Minerva's 914
post Sep 27 2020, 10:06 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,489
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(StarBear @ Sep 27 2020, 11:55 AM) *

As I'm getting more comfortable with coming out in public during this pandemic thing, I've been experiencing a Brave New Teener World. 914s are getting almost all the attention!
Went to an informal concours - only about 30 cars and mine was the only 914. The color (Zambezi Green) set it apart from the sea of black, silver and white Porsches. All morning there was a stream of folks looking/asking about it, so got only a few minutes to check out a fabulous 968S Guards Red special edition. The young folks were especially interested in the teener -- and the 2017 GT4 (no shame there!)
This morning went to a Coffee & XXX event with about 6 other Porsches; same thing. Most of the younger folks had either heard of, but never seen, a 914 and the others hadn't heard of nor ever seen one. First question was usually asking "What color is that?" Told them that while there are a few around here in Northern NJ, they're seldom seen "in the wild" very often. They chuckled.

I'm experiencing the same thing. My Boxster's PDK pucked it's electronics so I have been driving the 914 daily for the past 2 weeks and evreytime I stop anywhere it gets attention. At a stop a young kid shouted out "COOL CAR!", stopped in a strip mall and came out to find 2 people standing by it talking. One lady told me she used to drive a 914 in college and wishes she had it back. Drove it a C&C and I stood by it for over 90 mins talking to all that gathered around it never having an opportunity to even go in for a cup of Joe, nor look at any of the awesome cars there that morning. Makes me want to buy another one before it gets out of control, oops too late.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Sep 27 2020, 10:12 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 27 2020, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Sep 27 2020, 11:55 AM) *

I'm experiencing the same thing. My Boxster's PDK pucked it's electronics so I have been driving the 914 daily for the past 2 weeks and evreytime I stop anywhere it gets attention. At a stop a young kid shouted out "COOL CAR!", stopped in a strip mall and came out to find 2 people standing by it talking. One lady told me she used to drive a 914 in college and wishes she had it back. Drove it a C&C and I stood by it for over 90 mins talking to all that gathered around it never having an opportunity to even go in for a cup of Joe, nor look at any of the awesome cars there that morning. Makes me want to buy another one before it gets out of control, oops too late.

ALASKA BLUE! My (second) favorite 914 color. With beige interior should look fabulous. A thread a while ago about an Olympic Blue (my third favorite color) and a white interior - stunning!
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Sep 27 2020, 10:33 AM
Post #4

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

[/quote]
Sounds familiar to me too, I was at a gas station and an older lady came up and said my 914 was her "favorite car in the world", hehe. She asked where you can but them, I told her they are all over the internet, maybe she does not have the internet.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 27 2020, 10:40 AM
Post #5

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I do my errands in the 914 a lot and people come out of the store to ask "what is it?" Cool car.....Would you sell it?.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 27 2020, 10:55 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Yep, 914's time has come.

Interesting that you hear so much about "kids don't care about cars" when a simple drive down to the hardware store suggests otherwise. Kids stop their parents on the sidewalk to watch a 914 go by—and keep staring long enough that you can clock them still stopped and still staring in the rearview.

People of all ages ask questions, offer comments, or tell their own stories at gas stations, stores, etc. But then, I do the same thing when I see, say, a great 1957 Chevy hot rod, or just about any cool older car...even if it's not my thing per se. Been trying to get my head around this, but I think part of what made cars cool in days gone by hasn't really transferred over to the latest crop of modern cars (post 2015?). Call it elemental charm—which any 914 has in abundance—or something else, but…
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 04:30 AM