Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SCCA A/X rules questions about class and OE stock vs mods, main question is about tire and wheel size changes
DRPHIL914
post Oct 5 2020, 06:47 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

I was online looking a local events and trying to find some A/x events in the
South Carolina or North Carolina region,(i live in SC near Savannah Ga, but my son lives in Charlotte and we frequent the area)
Anyway i found out on i thing the event list on Motorsportreg.com that there is a regular A/X events up in Charlotte region, and took a look at the rules and classes etc, and was wondering if anyone here was doing that up there or even somewhere else could guide me in the registration process , and, answer some questions about if i can run the tires/rims i have or do i have to purchase other wheels to run the proper class.
In the rules and class descriptions i notice they say you have to run rim size and width that would have come on that model for the year?? but what about diameter etc too?

My 75 914 has the stock 2.0 L motor all original and stock, except i did the PMB Performance 5-lug upgrade with stock rotors and calipers etc, i currently have 16" fuchs rims with 205/55-16 tires(that are same diameter as a stock set up but much wider) i have 6" on front and 7" on rear. So my question is , to run in the stock un modified street class would i have to source a set of 15" x 5.5" rims for the A/X? I could do that they would then be same size and width as the stock rims that came on the car, just would use 5 lug rims not 4, but that should not matter as long as i have same specs.
I just dont think i want to be bumped into a modified street class just because of slighly wider tires, so please advise.

thanks for any infor and direction you can provide.

Phil.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914andy
post Oct 5 2020, 07:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,929
Region Association: None

Hi Phil
A lot will have to do with the sanctioning body....SCCA, PCA,etc...
Some groups will be happy to have you regardless and others will be sticklers on the "letter of the law".
Either way you should go and have fun. I spent many years doing it and had a blast.
Andy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Racer
post Oct 5 2020, 08:05 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Play ignorant.. sign up for the "stock class".. and wait to get yelled at later (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Unless you are running for an SCCA national championship, or you go up and beat everyone, no one will really care. Miata's will rule the roost in any class it seems. A 914 will do best to simply not be last (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Does the registration link have an email you can ask questions to? like the event host?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 5 2020, 09:09 AM
Post #4

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(914andy @ Oct 5 2020, 09:45 AM) *

Hi Phil
A lot will have to do with the sanctioning body....SCCA, PCA,etc...
Some groups will be happy to have you regardless and others will be sticklers on the "letter of the law".
Either way you should go and have fun. I spent many years doing it and had a blast.
Andy
QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 5 2020, 10:05 AM) *

Play ignorant.. sign up for the "stock class".. and wait to get yelled at later (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Unless you are running for an SCCA national championship, or you go up and beat everyone, no one will really care. Miata's will rule the roost in any class it seems. A 914 will do best to simply not be last (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Does the registration link have an email you can ask questions to? like the event host?

thanks for the responses! yes, i think i should be able to email them but , i like the
better to ask forgiveness than permission approach too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
but i may still scout out some 5 lug 15"x5.5" rims just in case too. Hard to find, either are the difficult to find fuchs that size or Mahle that are god-awefull expensive. I know there are steelies that were that size, and maybe some minilites or other aftermarket brand as well.

I have an extra pair of 16''x6'' fuchs i can offer up as partial trade too. then my next question will be best tires. I have some Firestone Firehawk indy 500 summer ultra-performance that are z-rated and are @280 on the hardness, so pretty sticky, those are on my current 16" x 6" and 7" Fuchs
+Quote Post
Racer
post Oct 5 2020, 12:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

thanks for the responses! yes, i think i should be able to email them but , i like the
better to ask forgiveness than permission approach too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
but i may still scout out some 5 lug 15"x5.5" rims just in case too. Hard to find, either are the difficult to find fuchs that size or Mahle that are god-awefull expensive. I know there are steelies that were that size, and maybe some minilites or other aftermarket brand as well.

I have an extra pair of 16''x6'' fuchs i can offer up as partial trade too. then my next question will be best tires. I have some Firestone Firehawk indy 500 summer ultra-performance that are z-rated and are @280 on the hardness, so pretty sticky, those are on my current 16" x 6" and 7" Fuchs

Well, on the plus side, your tires are not nearly sticky enough to be competitive. Most folks run a 200tw rating "street legal sticky tire" or Hoosiers at AX. The rest just drive around and have fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

205/50-15.. RE71, Rivals, Azenis, etc. Check out Tirerack "competition tires"... that's the good stuff.. and then, of course, read the rulebook.. more than once.. if you wish to stay with the 914 and stay in the stock 914 class .. which as mentioned, is likely ruled by Miatas, you would have to revert back to 4-bolt hubs and wheels.. or you get bumped out of the stock class into a prepared or modified class where you will have no chance.

5.5x15 5bolt 5x130 pattern?

Form Porsche world that could mean some obscure early 911 rare Fuchs.. or the Mahle Gasburners that came on the 914/6 and some 911s. I would bet both of those go for about $2k/set.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 5 2020, 06:07 PM
Post #6

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 6 2020, 09:04 AM
Post #7

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 5 2020, 08:07 PM) *

for sure thatst the starting point,, and for the

$2500 for Mahle or 15" fuchs, it would cost less to buy a cheap Miata lol!!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 6 2020, 09:09 AM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 5 2020, 02:51 PM) *

Well, on the plus side, your tires are not nearly sticky enough to be competitive. Most folks run a 200tw rating "street legal sticky tire" or Hoosiers at AX. The rest just drive around and have fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

205/50-15.. RE71, Rivals, Azenis, etc. Check out Tirerack "competition tires"... that's the good stuff.. and then, of course, read the rulebook.. more than once.. if you wish to stay with the 914 and stay in the stock 914 class .. which as mentioned, is likely ruled by Miatas, you would have to revert back to 4-bolt hubs and wheels.. or you get bumped out of the stock class into a prepared or modified class where you will have no chance.

Form Porsche world that could mean some obscure early 911 rare Fuchs.. or the Mahle Gasburners that came on the 914/6 and some 911s. I would bet both of those go for about $2k/set.

i had a set of the Potenza , i think r/e11? very sticky still have 2 but they are 6 years old or so and over 50% wear, but they are till on the extra set of 16x6" fuchs so i could use them up front for the first few novice outings, then move into something else, really just for fun and to see how the 914 does, but i guess a cheap Miata might be the way to go later.... or boxster?
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Oct 6 2020, 01:03 PM
Post #9

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611

Play with what you got and learn to AX. If you decide you like it and want to go fast build a toy for the class you want to drive in.
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Nov 3 2020, 01:23 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Agree with others. As long as you configure your car in the spirit of the rules, if not to the letter of the rules, until you start beating everyone, no one will care. Go learn about autocrossing, then figure out how extreme you want to modify and how important it is for you to be competitive versus just having a car you enjoy driving. Over the years I've found its fun to find someone you're competitive with, regardless of class, and have fun racing against them.
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Nov 3 2020, 12:18 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,377

QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 5 2020, 11:51 AM) *

Best bang for the buck in 5 lug wheels are "cookie cutters" Look for a set of 15 x 6's. 205/50 Toyo RR's or R888r's should do the trick. Very common tire - all the Miatas run them.

These are 7's but there are plenty of 6's out there

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Stark 01
post Nov 3 2020, 11:35 PM
Post #12

Racing newbie

Member No.: 17,404

The SCCA CCR chapter runs regular Solo ( autocross), which used to be at least 8 per year at the Zmaxx dragway parking lot, last I was aware.

If you need answers, go to scca.com, find the section for regions and look for CENTRAL CAROLINA REGION (CCR). Email them. Good bunch of guys, at least when I used to do it.
+Quote Post
Stark 01
post Nov 3 2020, 11:36 PM
Post #13

Racing newbie

Member No.: 17,404

.... and where you live in Savannah, it’s the Buccaneer Region.
+Quote Post
914pipe
post Nov 6 2020, 03:25 PM
Post #14

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

Member No.: 2,422

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 6 2020, 08:04 AM) *

My first A/X ever was last October 17 in zMax Dragway located in Concord, NC (They always say in Charlotte). I entered in the novice class. The inspection was minimum and I had a blast. I went alone, did not known anyone. People were super nice and receive a lot of help and compliments. There were 2 guys that rode with me, they just wanted to experience this in a 914. I registered on the site you mention before.

I had a blast....

There is another A/X event there the weekend of the 14 and 15 of November and I already registered.

Here some pics during the event....

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 9 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #15

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(914pipe @ Nov 6 2020, 04:25 PM) *

My first A/X ever was last October 17 in zMax Dragway located in Concord, NC (They always say in Charlotte). I entered in the novice class. The inspection was minimum and I had a blast. I went alone, did not known anyone. People were super nice and receive a lot of help and compliments. There were 2 guys that rode with me, they just wanted to experience this in a 914. I registered on the site you mention before.

I had a blast....

There is another A/X event there the weekend of the 14 and 15 of November and I already registered.

Attached Image

Attached Image

@914pipe
thanks for the info, i might be pursuaded to come up and experience this! car is prepped and ready to go. tell me more about your experience and the run, - where in Concord do they hold it? do you need a helmet right? id have to rent one i guess.

Phil
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 9 2020, 09:56 AM
Post #16

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(914pipe @ Nov 6 2020, 04:25 PM) *

I had a blast....

Attached Image

Attached Image

nice wheels BTW!!!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 13 2020, 05:24 PM
Post #17

Dr. Phil

i registered and will be participating in my first A/X tomorrow! SCCA , central Carolina region, in Concord NC at ZMaxx raceway. drove the car up to my son’s house here in charlotte, got 30MPG, drove some back roads since traffic on the I95 and I26 very heavy i hate it! much of the time i was the only car on the road. car is running great and head temps and oil temps perfect. will see how it all looks tomorrow.
new helmet, put some clear track wrap on front bumper for some protection, should be ready to go.
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Nov 13 2020, 09:20 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 17,377

Go in with high hopes but moderate expectations. Your first events will be overwhelming getting used to all the "rules of the road". There's a lot of data to process. Just go to have fun and learn. You won't be disappointed.
+Quote Post
914pipe
post Nov 14 2020, 07:39 PM
Post #19

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

Member No.: 2,422

Very nice to have another 914 on the event!!!! We had a blast!

Very nice to meet you Phillip!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 17 2020, 02:36 PM
Post #20

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(914pipe @ Nov 14 2020, 08:39 PM) *

Very nice to have another 914 on the event!!!! We had a blast!

Very nice to meet you Phillip!

Attached Image

that. at is a beast, you will learn how to tame it, and when you do watch out!!! i won’t be able to beat you, but we will have fun. you need to come down to SC and run at Robeling Road or Hutchinson island. our region is running at Hutchison island in Dec 6th, but i am going to go to Amelia island on saturday the 5th with my daughter and son-in-law and then savannah sunday the 6th!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:58 AM