Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What kind of gas are you using?, modern 91/93 with ethanol or non-ethanol with octane booster
boxster914
post Oct 9 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,700
Region Association: South East States

I've just been given two conflicting suggestions:

Run non-ethanol 89 octane gas and use a lead substitute (instead o' lead)

or

just use modern 91/93 octane gas that contains ethanol.

I had been using non-ethanol gas in my 72 Beetle and then switched to modern 91/93 gas with ethanol and it seemed to develop a hesitation on acceleration.

I just got a 71 914 and am interested to know what you all are using so I can decide which gas to use in it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 9 2020, 01:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

check this site.

https://marcnelsonoil.com/the-pros-and-cons...on-ethanol-gas/
+Quote Post
BPic
post Oct 9 2020, 02:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,864

If you want Ethanol free gas check out this site. Click maps and enter your state.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
+Quote Post
jfort
post Oct 9 2020, 03:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Had a long talk with Richard Parr, the maker of PMO carbs, on this issue recently. My choices are 93 octane with ethanol or 90 octane with no ethanol. He suggests the latter with a supplement. I use Turbo 108 Octane Boost. All seems well with a 2.7 six with 10.8 compression twin spark.
+Quote Post
bretth
post Oct 9 2020, 04:09 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

My limited understanding is that higher octane fuel does not burn as easily as lower octane. So putting high octane in a low compression motor is basically useless. Don't know how common low octane ethanol free gas is though.
+Quote Post
gfg3
post Oct 9 2020, 04:22 PM
Post #6

Never Too Old

Member No.: 18,295
Region Association: None

I've been using 87 octane ethanol free in my '75 2.0 for 5 years. No additives. Continues to run great. As an aside, I use 93 octane ethanol free in my '61 Ford big block. Again, no additives. Running great for years.
+Quote Post
73-914
post Oct 9 2020, 04:40 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,651

only Stewart's 91 ethanol-free
+Quote Post
Sprout
post Oct 9 2020, 04:45 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 22,544
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(gfg3 @ Oct 9 2020, 05:22 PM) *

I've been using 87 octane ethanol free in my '75 2.0 for 5 years. No additives. Continues to run great. As an aside, I use 93 octane ethanol free in my '61 Ford big block. Again, no additives. Running great for years.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) same 87 octane ethanol free in my 73 1.7 FI, no additives. Been using it in my 69 Bug many years as well.
+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Oct 9 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,484
Region Association: Northern California

Chevron Supreme
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Oct 9 2020, 10:15 PM
Post #10

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(flat4guy @ Oct 9 2020, 09:21 PM) *

Chevron Supreme

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I've used same for years...my early 1.7 wants high octane to avoid pre-ignition and vapor lock... problems solved with this fuel.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Oct 9 2020, 10:18 PM
Post #11

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Oct 9 2020, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(flat4guy @ Oct 9 2020, 09:21 PM) *

Chevron Supreme

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I've used same for years...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

If I'm road tripping and can't find it, then Texaco or Shell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

*(my Mazda RX7 Race Car ran best on the shittiest gas you could find. Some guys would go down to TJ and fill up 55 gal. drums of Pemex.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bandit.gif)
+Quote Post
Racer
post Oct 10 2020, 06:25 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Comes down to what's available. Some states don't allow non-ethanol fuels to be put in cars. others have no issue with it.

These cars were built to run on leaded regular (which of course did not have ethanol). Good luck finding that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Most cars get buy with any 87-93 octane fuel, ethanol or not. If you've advanced your timing trying to squeek out the last few hp, running 91 or higher could help with some predetonation.

If you are using an ethanol fuel in a car that sits awhile, run some kind of Stabil/Heet/Water evaporator to help keep lines and injectors/carbs cleaner.. not spotless, but cleaner.

Feel free to add a lead additive if you are worried about valvetrain wear.

Asking what fuel to use is like asking what oil to use. Everyone will tell you something to conflict with the last opinion!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 10 2020, 09:30 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 10 2020, 06:25 AM) *

Comes down to what's available. Some states don't allow non-ethanol fuels to be put in cars. others have no issue with it.

These cars were built to run on leaded regular (which of course did not have ethanol). Good luck finding that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Most cars get buy with any 87-93 octane fuel, ethanol or not. If you've advanced your timing trying to squeek out the last few hp, running 91 or higher could help with some predetonation.

If you are using an ethanol fuel in a car that sits awhile, run some kind of Stabil/Heet/Water evaporator to help keep lines and injectors/carbs cleaner.. not spotless, but cleaner.

Asking what fuel to use is like asking what oil to use. Everyone will tell you something to conflict with the last opinion!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) except I'm not sure what would be gained with a lead additive since our cars have hardened valve seats. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

There is no advantage to running higher octane than needed unless you are trying to lose weight in your wallet. All stock 914 engines should run fine on regular octane unless you've tweaked them from stock specs.

I haven't driven my 914 since the days of leaded but hopefully she'll be mobile by this spring. I'll fill with ethanol free gas most of the time but won't hesitate to fill with ethanol blend on long trips when I know the tank will be used before storing the car for any length of time. If I do have to park the car for any length of time with ethanol blend in the tank, I'll use a stabilizer additive.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Oct 10 2020, 09:40 AM
Post #14

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

One other thought not mentioned. The lower the octane you use, the COOLER the engine will run. You should run the lowest octane possible as long as your engine doesn't knock. This means that primarily only higher compression altered engines will require above 87 octane.
I've been running California's 15% ethanol blend 87 octane gas for 20 years in my stock smogged 76 2.0 and it hasn't missed a beat.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 10 2020, 09:48 AM
Post #15

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

Oh boy. I've seen this subject come up over and over again through the years.

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 10 2020, 08:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 10 2020, 06:25 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) except I'm not sure what would be gained with a lead additive since our cars have hardened valve seats. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

There is no advantage to running higher octane than needed unless you are trying to lose weight in your wallet. All stock 914 engines should run fine on regular octane unless you've tweaked them from stock specs.

I haven't driven my 914 since the days of leaded but hopefully she'll be mobile by this spring. I'll fill with ethanol free gas most of the time but won't hesitate to fill with ethanol blend on long trips when I know the tank will be used before storing the car for any length of time. If I do have to park the car for any length of time with ethanol blend in the tank, I'll use a stabilizer additive.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I have an Original Customs 2056, carb'd. I run whatever regular I find at the pump, occasionally I'll try a mid-grade. Doesn't make any difference. Never had any problems. No need for lead additive in my opinion. Runs great. If I know it's going to sit for a while (like at the height of the pandemic and quarantine etc...), I definitely put Stabil in the tank. Cheap peace of mind.

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 10 2020, 09:59 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 9 2020, 01:25 PM) *

Nice article but it understates the ecological train wreck ethanol fuels have caused in the Midwest.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 10 2020, 10:20 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

My mechanics know their stuff, and both recommend running 91 from Chevron or 76. Ethanol is tough to avoid here in CA.

I can get higher octane—and even leaded race gas—by driving over to Sears Point, but I very rarely do so. I tend to forget which octane I should go for, and whether it would be helpful or harmful with an engine built and tuned to run on our crappy 91-octane gas. Will say it made 169.9 rwhp (so, 190-200 hp at the flywheel?) from 2.2 liters on CA 91 and runs beautifully throughout the rev range.

I'd be very curious to hear what someone like Jake Raby or others here have to say about the occasional tank of leaded race gas, and if there are any benefits. I suspect any octane bump would be wasted?
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Oct 10 2020, 11:32 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I use regular (87) from any gas station with ethanol. 15,000 miles in 2 years with good performance and no problems. I’m much pickier about my oil.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Oct 10 2020, 01:34 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

2056 with 8.6 comp I usually run the mid-grade, 89 10% ethanol.

Occasionally I will put in the 93 from Sam's Club because it is cheaper than the 89 elsewhere.

Runs just fine.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 11 2020, 08:23 AM
Post #20

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

i usually run the NO ethanol 87or89 on my stock 2.0/4 motor. i only get the 10% if i know i am burning thru a whole tank, and since the car may sit for a few weeks with out driving i will put stabil in a full tank. we have no problem getting non-ethanol gas but it does cost about the same as 93 octane premium.
remember for the low compression cars 1.7,1.8, 2.0 stock motors 87 is what factory tuned the car for. i set my timing with this in the tank, if you run 93 instead of 87, it will effect you even if you think i’m your seat of the pants experience and feeling it’s running “just fine” . and for sure if you just got the car change out all your fuel lines for the ethanol rated ones. ethanol even just 10% will attract moisture if it’s sitting in that tank and we live in a high humidity region, so i try not to use it. same reason you should never run it in you 2stroke or 4 stroke lawn equipment!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:27 PM