Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thoughts about GT build approach?
rmarx
post Oct 12 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,784

The EZ30 R is a great choice! the cost is minimal in comparison. You should be able to get an engine for around $1100 to $1500. A trans will cost around $500. You will spend another $300-$500 to convert it to 2wd. $400 - $800 for a shifter, $300 + for headers. You will need get axles modified to use the Subie inner CV's. The cooling system can be done for a few hundred dollars. One of the tricky parts will be the ECU. You can modify the stock one or go aftermarket. I am currently building one. I have already built a V8 and 911 6 conversion. This will be the most economical and should provide enough power to get me in trouble...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Oct 12 2020, 03:46 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 12 2020, 01:16 AM) *

If that's how you decide to go, check out Kent's build(s)... under 76-914. His Subys look stock from the inside but provide all of the thrills with much less cost and the ability to go back in the future if so desired. Others, like mine, will take some real dedication to return to stock. Mine had the entire floor rotted out so I chose a more radical approach but keeping them mostly stock looking is a doable endeavor. Whatever gets you on the road first, my friend...

Yes, I've read that thread several times and it would be an important reference if I go this route. I think he has another car he's doing now?

QUOTE(rmarx @ Oct 12 2020, 01:47 PM) *

The EZ30 R is a great choice! the cost is minimal in comparison. You should be able to get an engine for around $1100 to $1500. A trans will cost around $500. You will spend another $300-$500 to convert it to 2wd. $400 - $800 for a shifter, $300 + for headers. You will need get axles modified to use the Subie inner CV's. The cooling system can be done for a few hundred dollars. One of the tricky parts will be the ECU. You can modify the stock one or go aftermarket. I am currently building one. I have already built a V8 and 911 6 conversion. This will be the most economical and should provide enough power to get me in trouble...

I've seen the engines on eBay from some of the JDM sellers. If it's done carefully with an eye out deals and alternatives, it seems like the motor would be the biggest initial purchase with the remaining conversion parts piece-mealed over time. I would probably go Megasquirt or some such stand-alone. Then if I could just figure out how to do individual throttle bodies with air horns! Anyway, cool sounding engines when they're uncorked:
Youtube
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 12 2020, 04:30 PM
Post #23

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Boy did that sound great. Makes me want to do a Subie conversion for the street. You could beat on that all day long with no real worries. And if you smoked the motor, easy enough to get another. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 08:13 PM