Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: data recovery
chunger
post Jul 15 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 133

Hey Neo,

930's been flipped like forever. . . it's just sitting waiting for a "rest-of-the-car". . . I do have running 914 A/X car now. . . it's still suffering from low oil pressure which I've been too pre-occupied to have looked at. . . plus, Brad's really busy, and I'm really broke (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Good architect.. . well, it was a family friend who did mine. Eddie Chiang if he still works at C & A Architecture interior design (650) 558-8867. I don't know about terribly cheap, but he was good to work with. Tell him 'Chung sent you and no, he hasn't finished his house yet. . . but he's tiling the bathroom.

Is there an OT limit? I like my OT drivel. . .

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 15 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #22

neo life

Member No.: 159

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif) Nice work, I remember tiling my bathroom when the contractor skipped to another job.

What's a ballpark cost to sit down with an architect and have him do plans? Is it a hourly fee? I paid a contractor/designer ~$1k for plans plus another $1k for a PE structural analysis about 6 years ago. You can PM me if you like.

How much did it cost to flip the r&p?

+Quote Post
chunger
post Jul 15 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #23

It was over $3500 to flip the R&P/rebuild trans/refresh LSD/shorten case/weld case/install electronic speedo.

back to the OT:

I'm looking into trying to recover studio data to make backups from my "working" scsi drives, but discovered to my amusement that my scsi card is no longer supported for os x 10.3 . .. adaptec PowerDomain 29160N. Awesome. . . when connected, computer starts to boot, shows the little revolving loading bars, and pops up the translucent grey message bar in 5 languages telling me I must now shut down my system.

Guess I will find an IDE controller. . . poking around craigslist, I did find an ATTO Express PSC PCI scsi controller for $8 though. . . which appearantly is still supported but discontinued 7/1/05.

-'Chung
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post Jul 15 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #24

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Member No.: 546
Region Association: South East States

I don't know macs at all, but I have had two Maxtor drives personally, and they both failed well within their warranty period. Maxtor was very good about getting me a new drive when the first one failed after 3 months, but when the second one failed a year later, I was done with them. I actually have an old 500 MB Fujitsu HDD in an old computer I used to use when I needed a third PC for games and stuff. That Fujitsu drive still works like a champ and its more than 10 years old.

For friends and family, I've replaced half a dozen drives over the last 5 or 6 years and all but one of the bad drives has been a Maxtor.

I've also never had an IBM drive give me trouble.

I'd steer clear of Maxtor in the future. Good luck!
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jul 15 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #25

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

is it one of the one-touch series? if so, they blow....controller failure out the wazoo. two went bad at my work, well before the warranty ended. alot of crying and money paying.

life sucks, but its only downhill......

yeah. loose the maxstor. they blow.
+Quote Post
Brent
post Jul 16 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #26

Every month is Oktober

Member No.: 3,291
Region Association: Northern California

Chungster, I've had good results with Zero Assumptions (free).
-B
+Quote Post
chunger
post Jul 16 2005, 06:43 AM
Post #27

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I will steer clear of Maxtor from now on. I like Fujitsu. I have a fujitsu drive I bought in college for a 486 that still works. Oh well, live and learn.

I was in a crunch for space on a project, and just went to Fry's and the Maxtor was what they had at the time. Bad choice. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

-'Chung
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Jul 16 2005, 07:20 AM
Post #28

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

i like Seagate too...mucho $$$ but very nice.

I still have my RLL 12MB Seagate drive with controller card around here somewhere.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:47 PM