Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> tire damage, debris or defect?
jmz
post Oct 13 2020, 09:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,886
Region Association: None

Hey all,

Just got back from a great race weekend at Hallet Motor Speedway. Had a bit of fun and the car ran strong with zero issues. Finished 2nd behind a Chevron B23 that was in a class of its own with another 914/6 behind me followed mostly by a pack of screaming v8 vintage american iron with one early 911 in the mix.

At the end of the day Sunday I noticed a defect on the sticker Hoosier A7s that I had put on the day before.

Anyone have an opinion on if this is a tire defect or caused by debris on the track?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 13 2020, 09:26 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

wow... that looks bad.

great driving though!
didn't realize CVAR was allowing the hoosiers again. They had a problem with my hoosiers last time I went to hallet. So I've mostly moved away from them, but miss them... the A7 has been my most favorite tire ever.

+Quote Post
jmz
post Oct 13 2020, 09:36 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 13 2020, 10:26 AM) *

wow... that looks bad.

great driving though!
didn't realize CVAR was allowing the hoosiers again. They had a problem with my hoosiers last time I went to hallet. So I've mostly moved away from them, but miss them... the A7 has been my most favorite tire ever.

Brant, I run in group 1 under FIA so likely different than group 7 CP. The car was absolutely dialed in. We completely changed the jetting as well as the fuel system including all new fuel lines recirculating system with bypass regulator. Runs great, clean throughout the RPM band and zero fuel pressure problems or clogged jets. ( I think rubber was breaking down in old fuel lines)
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 13 2020, 09:52 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

QUOTE(jmz @ Oct 13 2020, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 13 2020, 10:26 AM) *

wow... that looks bad.

great driving though!

Brant, I run in group 1 under FIA so likely different than group 7 CP. The car was absolutely dialed in. We completely changed the jetting as well as the fuel system including all new fuel lines recirculating system with bypass regulator. Runs great, clean throughout the RPM band and zero fuel pressure problems or clogged jets. ( I think rubber was breaking down in old fuel lines)

that makes sense about FIA

I hate fuel issues
last year, I rebuilt/replaced 18 braided stainless steel fuel lines when I was fighting with a pick up problem and thought the rubber may be breaking down...

glad you got it fixed!

+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Oct 13 2020, 12:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jmz @ Oct 13 2020, 07:07 AM) *

Hey all,

Just got back from a great race weekend at Hallet Motor Speedway. Had a bit of fun and the car ran strong with zero issues. Finished 2nd behind a Chevron B23 that was in a class of its own with another 914/6 behind me followed mostly by a pack of screaming v8 vintage american iron with one early 911 in the mix.

At the end of the day Sunday I noticed a defect on the sticker Hoosier A7s that I had put on the day before.

Anyone have an opinion on if this is a tire defect or caused by debris on the track?

Attached Image

That pic looks like defect to me...similar crack nearby. Of course there's no warranty but your dealer may cut a deal on replacement...??
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Oct 13 2020, 02:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

I'm on the side of debris damage. I have never, ever seen a tire do anything like that in 35 years of racing except from external debris. And I'm a Hoosier driver.

(Chuckling at CUT a deal...)
+Quote Post
jmz
post Oct 15 2020, 09:35 AM
Post #7

Hoosier shipping me a replacement tire at no cost. FYI
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 15 2020, 11:17 AM
Post #8

914 Wizard

QUOTE(jmz @ Oct 15 2020, 09:35 AM) *

Hoosier shipping me a replacement tire at no cost. FYI

Nice!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:20 AM