Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suggestions on selling an original 6?
rburks
post Jul 14 2005, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,969

Howdy - I've been lurking for quite a while hoping I would get the spark back to get my 914s back on the road, but it appears my wife is winning out with remodeling the house and my garage space is ever dwindling.

So here is my dilema and question. I have two 914s, a 71 914-4 and an original 70 914-6 that have been garaged for almost 20 years now. We also have way more cars than we need (7 at this time), and the pressure is enormous by the wife unit to eliminate cars.

So if I am going to sell, I want to sell both at the same time and just not look back. I have owned both cars for almost 25 years and this will be tough. And selling won't be as much about money, as about selling to someone who is as passionate as I was when I bought them.

So any advice anyone can offer about how I should go about this? I don't even know what the current value is. But I know if I sell I want to sell it all and not look back (i.e., sell both together). Its a hard thing to part with these. Any advice appreciated.

PS - Posting here because my neighbor is a passionate member and folks here seem to genuinely love these cars.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MikeP
post Jul 14 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,268

Oh boy, you just opened the flood gates....hold on tight.......
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Jul 14 2005, 12:25 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 430

Post some pictures and let's see those cars! There is a PCA member advertising two like cars for sale - are you him. Price was 25K for both. Red color? Both were running cars and in great condition. What condition are your cars in?
Dave H
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 14 2005, 12:25 PM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Dont sell it!!! Donate it to the SWK foundation located in Southern California. It would be well cared for and taken care of better than anyone who would buy it. Trust me on this one. I know what I am talking about. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jul 14 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #5

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

I think you should donate that six to the club. I'll keep it in my garage and anyone in the club is welcome to take it for a drive. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Wish I had a little more disposable income as I'd love to pickup a clean six.
+Quote Post
rburks
post Jul 14 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Kargeek @ Jul 14 2005, 10:25 AM)
Post some pictures and let's see those cars! There is a PCA member advertising two like cars for sale - are you him. Price was 25K for both. Red color? Both were running cars and in great condition. What condition are your cars in?
Dave H

No I am not that guy. I have not advertised anywhere.

My 6 is black (repaint of orginal blue) with 56K. The 4 is green.

Posting pics will take time as I only have 2 options:
1) Pull out slides from early 1980's (cars look spectacular)
2) Wait until I can get to them through wife's junk (both are covered and protected in garage right now)

Probably since the 6 is a California car you all will think it is very good on the rust spots (though both cars have the typcial bad battery tray). But all the other spots I will need to get in an take photos (again when I can physically reach the cars).

I am just posting for suggestions and am in no rush. Of course buyers may have a whole different outlook. I remember what it was like when I had to have one...I took a drive around Lake Tahoe with my buddy in his silver 1970 914-6. All the way around the lake, then down into Nevada for a speed run. I remember hitting 122mph with the top off (back when Nevada was "Safe as Sane"), and as we made the u-turn to return to California that little voice inside me said "I am gonna buy one of these one day".
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 14 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #7

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

Wanna take a tail dragger in trade for both? It will reduce your car count by one! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Jul 14 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #8

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

How long have they been covered up? when was the last time they were run?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 14 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #9

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

my thoughts, since you ask...

only current condition is important.
everybody says they will pay big bucks for unmolested original /6's but converting that talk into actual cash for an original 2-liter car has historically been much more difficult in reality.
finding a single buyer to take both could be difficult, especially for the 1,7 ... especially since they both need battery tray work.

if they have been out of service a long time, it will require a nontrivial amount of money and work to bring them back to roadworthiness. probably, if circumstances permitted you to do that, they wouldn't have been out of service and you wouldn't be selling. be aware that buyers will be factoring that in, tho.

you won't find people more enthusiastic - or knowledgeable - about 914's anywhere else. if you have reasonable expectations and represent the cars accurately, you should have no trouble finding interested buyers here.

oh - and welcome !
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 14 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #10

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Sawzall party! Part them out! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 14 2005, 01:14 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Welcome...

Current pictures help as would the up close and personal observations of someone knowledgeable about the cars.

Be as honest as possible and try to keep the pricing realistic...do as much research as possible, don't take just one persons estimated value..the same person that'll tell you the /6 is only worth 8K will be the one that talks you down to 7K and re-sells it for 13K (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

There are a few 914 owners in the area that would be willing to help you out with no financial gain in mind.

Richard Lindsall would be one of them (he might want the six, but he is as honest as one gets)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jul 14 2005, 01:16 PM
Post #12

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 14 2005, 11:03 AM)
Sawzall party! Part them out! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/slap.gif) Let's not start that again (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
rburks
post Jul 14 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 14 2005, 10:59 AM)
if you have reasonable expectations and represent the cars accurately, you should have no trouble finding interested buyers here.

Thanks ArtechnikA, that's exactly the type of advice I am looking for.

And you are correct on all counts. These cars have been sitting for a very long time. I have rarely (about 4-5 occasions in 20 years) taken them out for a Point A to Point A drive, and more frequently would fire them up in the garage. But everyone should be aware that getting a 35 year old car back on the road will take time and money. Of course the plus side is there has been no wear or tear in that time. When my buddy rebuilt his it was like every component seemed to fail, so that is worth noting.

As for why I have not fixed it up myself. Well, I am now much older and just don't have the time with 4 boys (2 in college) and a couple of homes, and two wives (one ex). And as many of you probably know a divorce will suck the lifeforce out of you. It was a titanic struggle to hold on to the cars through that about 10 years ago. But why I really haven't put them back on the road is I have lost my motivation to work on cars. Don't get me wrong, I currently have some very fast cars, but they are under warranty and when they break I can let the dealer fix it.

What I have in my Poschephile history is the previous owner of the 914-6 sold me the car because I had a passion for it, and he cared about that more than selling it to some di%$head for top dollar. That matters to me. I am just trying to find out what I should look for in selling the car, I am sure you guys all know what you are looking for in buying a car.

If I do decide to go ahead and sell these I think anybody that deals with me will find I am very honest and straightforward. I can tell by my lurking that most folks here are the same way. And of course, some are not.

Cars are cool, and I have a real affinity for my 6, but life does move on. This week I have two of my sons having surgery, so this is a nice distratction from that stress and worry. And BTW, my 16 who is having two surgeries is still pleading for the 6, though I do not believe that would be in his bests interests (my parents taught me that you will value something far more earned than given).

Hence my desire for a passionate owner.

Thanks again for the great advice!
+Quote Post
rburks
post Jul 14 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 14 2005, 11:14 AM)
Richard Lindsall would be one of them (he might want the six, but he is as honest as one gets)

I do believe Richard is the neighbor to whom I referred. He autoX a 914 and has a 911? Lives right up at the top of the hill from me. He can attest to my wife's remodeling!

I do need to talk to Richard as he said at one point he might be interested in the 6. Can I get a hold of him on this forum (cause you know walking up that hill is just too much (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) )
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 14 2005, 01:33 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Richard is your neighbor. He spoke to me about the cars before I moved south.

I would be interested in the 9146.

We have a young lady on the BBS who was hit in her 914 just a little over a year ago and the car was totalled. I have been trying to locate a decent 9146 project for her since then. She AutoX's another 4cyl 914 she bought not too long after the accident, but we have been looking for a street/project car for her. This one might fit the bill. Richard knows her well.

B
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 14 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (rburks @ Jul 14 2005, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 14 2005, 11:14 AM)

I do believe Richard is the neighbor to whom I referred. He autoX a 914 and has a 911? Lives right up at the top of the hill from me. He can attest to my wife's remodeling!

I do need to talk to Richard as he said at one point he might be interested in the 6. Can I get a hold of him on this forum (cause you know walking up that hill is just too much (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) )

How funny, I've driven past your house while going to Richards, I almost pulled into your driveway my 1st time up there when I saw the 914 in the garage (behind the boxes (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) )
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 14 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #17

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (itsa914 @ Jul 14 2005, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 14 2005, 11:03 AM)
Sawzall party! Part them out!  ;)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/slap.gif) Let's not start that again (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) funny though (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jul 14 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #18

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

It is hard for me to offer advice in this situation. I can not picture myself in your position and giving up a dream. I certainly understand you wanting to do this and "not look back".

You say the deal is not about the money. I imagine your wife might not agree 100%. The first step should be to get some idea of the current condition / value of your cars. Why were they parked after only 5 years of service?

Almost everyone here would love to have your 914's, if the price was right. In reality, far less have the resources to bring them back to life and glory. Your stipulation that both must go together eliminates a few more contenders.

I hope you agree that the best future owner is probably a member of the best 914 organization on the planet, the 914World.com.

I guess if I was in your shoes I would decide on the lowest price I would accept (to attract the widest audience). I would then have some sort of a contest of all those that are interested to determine the lucky winner. The one who gets to buy them would be the one who proves to you that they will honor your cars. Someone who still burns with the passion you once had.

It will be your task to choose the best responsible new caretaker for your babies. It will be their charge to honor your dreams.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 14 2005, 01:59 PM
Post #19

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

I'm pretty close to you (in San Mateo), so I could come by with a camera, take photos, and provide the club with an impartial opinion on condition. Email or PM me with your details if you like this idea.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jul 14 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #20

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Sell the wife....Er....I mean the 4....keep the 6. That way your splitting the difference with the wife over the car storage.

In 5 years time you will decide to get back into one again and now you at least have someting to start with and know it's history. Plus the price of a 6 in 5 years might distract you from getting back into one then. Prices have doubled in the last 4-5 years.

If your son is serious about the 6, make it a father/son restoration project that you can do together. That way he will "earn" the car and learn about the car.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 08:10 PM