Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suggestions on selling an original 6?
Kargeek
post Jul 14 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

I would like to buy your cars...they would go to good, loving home. However I already have too many cars and the same issues of a family with teens in college and private High School, a wife going through the change- it's hard to keep holding onto what I've already got! Everyone just wants money! Call me-"Bank of Dad"

I really enjoy working on my cars - I have a full shop and all of the goodies to do what I want. I understand about motivation and time management- I think most guys at our age have to wait until semi retirement and family life slows down to get back into their hobbies. I see it all the time with my buddy’s hot rod shop. A guy finally get the kids through college, he and his wife become empty nesters and finally say's, build me a car- I’m too tired and just want to enjoy the thing.

For 25 years I have to respond to the question" Is it a Six?" This could be a time I could redeem myself- I've always bought cars and asked forgiveness later...

DH
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
richardL
post Jul 14 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 201
Region Association: None

QUOTE (rburks @ Jul 14 2005, 12:31 PM)

I do believe Richard is the neighbor to whom I referred.

Yep, thats me. I just drove by your house a half hour ago and saw the guys working on th ewindows (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Both cars look (at least from the edge of the garage) to be in good condition. Yes I wanted the /6, but I just bought all of Burr's stuff including a 71 and a 74 and all his parts and all his tools and all his workshop stuff, so I am overwhelmed with stuff. I even ended up with various pallet racks for the spare engines etc. I've also had back ache for two weeks since I drove down to Ridgecrest to get it all. The price was impossible to say no to...

So I'm not in the market, but I will certainly give the cars a once over if anyone wants. I had mentioned the /6 to B since it looked so nice.

Richard
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 14 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #23

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

But seriously, folks...

Someday, I would be a great owner for a nice 914/6. Unfortunately, I only have 2 garage bays, which means that I'd have to sell the 911. It's fast and fun and all that, but the bottom line is that it's more of another guy's hot rod/track car than somebody's baby. If and when I am in the market for a 914 in the future (which means basically that a bay will be available), I'm going to be looking for a car that has received attention and affection, because that's the way I treat my own cars. (Babydoll's owner can attest to the attention to detail I'm putting into her beloved ride. )

Best of luck in finding such a new owner for your 914's. They're uncommon little cars and they should be in the hands of people who appreciate them for what they are.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 14 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (zymurgist @ Jul 14 2005, 02:11 PM)
Best of luck in finding such a new owner for your 914's. They're uncommon little cars and they should be in the hands of people who appreciate them for what they are.

funny you mention that...a few years ago when I think it was Chris Campbell was selling his beatiful Ravenna Green 2.0 914, it sounded like he would only sell to the "right" person, didn't matter than you had the money to purchase the car, you also had to have the right attitude and be "worthy" of owning it....I'm sure I was on the "do not sell to" list (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 14 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #25

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Howdy - I've been lurking for quite a while hoping I would get the spark back to get my 914s back on the road, but it appears my wife is winning out with remodeling the house and my garage space is ever dwindling.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Geez, this sounds familiar......
+Quote Post
olav
post Jul 14 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #26

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 34

So what are the other five cars that you have. Can they be sacrificed? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

When the car was resprayed I guess the original color is coming through at the doors etc.

How hard would it be to put it back to the original color?

Nothing else done to the car that you can remember?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 14 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #27

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I had to sell Ida to Jim and as he will attest... it was difficult. I'm now gainfully employed again and I would like my -6 back. Jim's "very mean" and he won't sell her back to me (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (actually I couldn't have sold the car to a better buyer on planet earth).

Nuf said. My hat's in the ring if you want to sell. (this is where the rest of you chant "Sell it to Eric, Sell it to Eric") (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
rburks
post Jul 15 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 2,969

I really appreciate all the advice, and all the unsolicited offers. I think my best plan is to ask Richard to help, if He wouldn't mind coming down and looking over them. At the same time I will take some pics (with Richard's guidance). Then Richard can post his honest assessment and I can post the pics.

Having said all that it will be a while because my 16year old has two surgeries this Monday and will be in the hospital for a week. So maybe after that.

I am taking him to Infineon tomorrow. But not in the Porsche, this will be in the SVTF (its race sibling races in the Speed World Challenge Touring Series). Oh yeah, and we are going to say Hi to Pierre Kleinubing who taught two of my kids defensive driving at "Driver's Edge" - a great way to keep your teen driver safe and alive. 18 year old just totaled his Mom's Suburban, but at least is alive. Totaled both the Suburban and the Cayanne he ran into...
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Jul 15 2005, 10:14 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 430

We all wish your son a successful surgery- this is not something a young person should have to go through. May he recover quickly. I agree with the teen driver school. This is something I pan to do with my kids although my daughter has been driving for 18 months without any misshapps- (fingers crossed-knock on wood) Good luck on Monday...DH
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 15 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #30

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jul 14 2005, 11:59 AM)
if they have been out of service a long time, it will require a nontrivial amount of money and work to bring them back to roadworthiness. probably, if circumstances permitted you to do that, they wouldn't have been out of service and you wouldn't be selling. be aware that buyers will be factoring that in, tho.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) after sitting for 25 years, one will have to replace and check a lot of things.

fuel system: drain and clean gastank and plastic lines in the center tunnel. replace ALL rubber fuel lines. replace fuel filter. check fuel pump.

engine: how was the engine prepared for the long storage? if moisture got in and the engine wasn't run evey month or so, you might be looking at a complete engine rebuild.

brakes: at the minimum rebuild brake calipers and flush the fluid. MC could be gunked up.

transmission: how was the tranny prepared for the long storage? see "engine" above ...

tires: they NEED to be replaced ...

and those are just the main mechanicals, how about the cosmetical stuff? seals dried out and cracked? vinyl? mice nests in the heater mufflers? chewed up electrical wires?

and then there's RUST. was the existing battery tray rust prepped before storage? or was it allowed to eat at the cars for the last 25 years?

i'm not trying to downtalk the cars, they might very well be in very good condition, just saying that both the buyer and seller have to be aware of the fact that after sitting for so long, some or all of the above issues will have to be addressed ...

if only i had the $$$, i'd love to have a original /6. maybe i could sell my firstborn. think she would go for that?
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
richardL
post Jul 15 2005, 11:07 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 201

Let me know when the time is right and I'll drop by and take pictures and inspect it more closely. I know of one feature the /6 has that everyone will go apeshit over.

Meanwhile I'm trying to completely empty my shop so it can be repainted and get a new epoxy floor next week!

Richard

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 08:29 AM