Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Start not disengagin
TX914
post Oct 17 2020, 06:34 AM
Post #1

Alan-B

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,689
Region Association: None

Starter (rebuilt SR17X) was not disengaging and getting worse. Took in to Texas Alternator Service as I didn't want another rebuilt unit. They said said it was a dinosaur with a reclaimed solenoid. They happened to have a stock of new solenoids (purchased from Zimms when they closed) and replaced it - $63. Haven't tried it yet as engine is out but wanted to pass this tidbit along for anyone with similar problem. I understand from other threads the problem could also have been ignition switch or relay.

HTH, Alan B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 17 2020, 12:15 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(TX914 @ Oct 17 2020, 05:34 AM) *

Starter (rebuilt SR17X) was not disengaging and getting worse. Took in to Texas Alternator Service as I didn't want another rebuilt unit. They said said it was a dinosaur with a reclaimed solenoid. They happened to have a stock of new solenoids (purchased from Zimms when they closed) and replaced it - $63. Haven't tried it yet as engine is out but wanted to pass this tidbit along for anyone with similar problem. I understand from other threads the problem could also have been ignition switch or relay.

HTH, Alan B

In Austin? They used to be a good outfit, IIRC. Many years back I had a Datsun alt rebuilt there. The belt was always slipping so I went back to see what it might be. The owner took one look at it and said "This was on a Datsun?" I said yes and he hit the roof. The pulley they put on it was the wrong one. He went in the back a chewed everyones ass out. I could hear him from the front yelling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) He handed me another alt even thought it had been 1 1/2 years since I bought it and said no charge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:29 PM