Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> fuel pump, fuel hose ?
dax1969
post Oct 19 2020, 02:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,103
Region Association: None

Hi guys,

Took my 74 2.0 original FI out for a spin this weekend. On my way back I stopped for groceries and when I wanted to drive home the car wouldn't start. After several attempts the car finally started but did not keep idle... I limped home (only 1 km) and immediately smelled fuel. When I got home I checked under the car and saw fuel gushing out at the front (my pump is relocated to the front near the steering rack). After turning off the engine the leak immediately stopped....
Due to the fact that fuel starts gushing out when I turn on the key I am sure that the pump still pumps fuel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I still have to investigate further to see if the fuel leak is coming from the pump or from a hose but ofcourse I immediately started looking on the internet/platform.

My questions :

* if the fuel pump is the culprit, which fuel pump do I need ? I know there are early and late pumps and as what I can see I have a late 2 port pump. Can I replace with the same type ? I see Bosch, Pierburg, Vemo etc.
Bosch has different type nrs 043 906091 , 0580 463016 and 0580 464085. Which one ?

* if the o-rings are the issue. Shall I try to source and replace them or is it best to install a brand new pump ?

Herebelow a pic off the current set-up (pic taken when I took out the pedal cluster for rebuild). note : I will install a different type of filter

Attached Image

thks yr info

krgds
Dax
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 3)
malcolm2
post Oct 19 2020, 07:26 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

That looks like the pump I used for my L-jet. You said you had a 2.0, so I assume D-jet fuel injection. That pump looks alot different. Look into buying you one for your type of injection system.

With the relocation, I am betting a hose has rubbed.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 19 2020, 07:51 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Tthe style/make of the pump doesn't really matter as long as it's 12V, FI and pushes at least 30psi.
I'd get a 2nd person to quickly flick the switch to see where the leak is. Replace with hose that is SAE 30R9 or higher for the FI and use correct FI hose clamps.

Teenhulk is replacing all the fuel hoses on a real nice '73 914 right now.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Oct 19 2020, 09:34 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,103
Region Association: None

Thks yr replies.

Dug a little deeper and I think the leak is situated higher. Think the line to the pump has been rubbing.

With winter setting in I think it's time to start from scratch and install ss lines an all new hoses. The hoses in the enginebay have already been replaced with new SAE30R9 hoses but from there to the front I still have the plastic ones.

hope I can tackle this job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

bye
Dax
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:59 PM