Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Master Cylinder Reservoir headache thread, Hose fittings would have been nice, porsche
betz
post Oct 26 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,593
Region Association: Northern California

Through all my frustration, Mark at 914rubber was gracious enough to send me over one of his master cylinders for comparison, which I just received today.

So far I am impressed, it is clear the master is not just a rebranded Uro or Ate. While I do not have an Ate master for comparison, from the details you can tell it is unique from the Uro in casting and Ate from the rubber. The "F" and "R" for instance is in a different font, the internal channels under the washers have different routing, etc. The only immediate things I can see is better so far is that the machined surfaces are painted, which will most likely help with surface rust in the future, but probably not really have an effect on functionality. Also, the rubber grommet is closer in dimensions to the Ate grommet (same length at 0.695"), and the rubber boot for the brake lever input is a less plastic-y and a more pliable rubber. Also, pulling out the grommet to insert the washers it did not get torn up like the Uro grommet did. The washers almost didn't seem the right size at first, but after some light persuasion they went in almost like a press fit.

Later tonight I will attempt finally to get this installed and hopefully be done with my master cylinder debacle, lol. Hopefully install goes a little more smoothly this time!

Pics below of master comparisons. For grommets we have from left to right- Uro, 914rubber, and Ate.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-22593-1603749543.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-22593-1603749543.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-22593-1603749543.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-22593-1603749544.4.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Oct 26 2020, 04:15 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 19,288
Region Association: None

Edit: The master cylinder on the right (with the surface rust) looks like ours up until we released our second-gen unit about two years ago.

Just grabbed one of our second-gen Master Cylinder 911 355 012 02 off the shelf (which we've been selling since early 2019), here's a photo.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
betz
post Oct 26 2020, 04:44 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Oct 26 2020, 03:15 PM) *

Not sure what that rusty master cylinder on the right is, unless it's a very old one of ours. We'll see if we have any photos of the units from our first run.

Just grabbed a URO Parts 911 355 012 02 unit off the shelf, here's a photo.

I ordered it from Auto Atlanta on Nov 19th, 2018. Screenshot of order below.

I'm really trying to stay impartial here but I can clearly see they are still different. I happen to be a registered PE mechanical engineer, I feel like I am at least decently qualified to judge it for myself. You can see the "1" casting on the bottom of the newly revised Uro master, and the 914rubber master has a bump in the casting for the channel going into the "F" and "R" brake lines. The holes for the 914rubber master for the reservoir is also offset from the casting.

None of these indicate performance, rather that they are just different and it is not a blatant copy. The Uro I have is a little rusty just because It's been out in the elements while the 914rubber one is brand new. I can assure you the Uro master was plenty shiny when I first got it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-22593-1603752260.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Oct 26 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 19,288
Region Association: None

Exactly right, just noticed the bump, has to be a different casting.

You're also correct about that MC from A.A.; it looks like our first-gen cylinder, which was discontinued in late 2018. Sent you a PM about replacing it with the new version.
+Quote Post
betz
post Oct 26 2020, 07:46 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Oct 26 2020, 03:49 PM) *

Exactly right, just noticed the bump, has to be a different casting.

You're also correct about that MC from A.A.; it looks like our first-gen cylinder, which was discontinued in late 2018. Sent you a PM about replacing it with the new version.

I appreciate the offer, but I did just get this new MC in, so I don't really have a need for it. It sounds like the early Uro MC had some issues with the reservoir lines leaking which was apparently corrected in the latest revision.

And this sounds pretty in-line with what happened on my install of the 914rubber MC. I marked with silver sharpie where the lines should go up to, but no matter how much I struggled and gave the lines plenty of leverage, with the help of my Knipex pliers even, it would never settle past just below the silver line I made. I finally said, screw it, let's just see if it leaks. It was close enough to the silver line that it seemed like it could actually be in, not to mention both of the lines were consistent at the same level. And it wasn't like it went in easy in the first place.

Anyways, finished up all of the lines, filled up the brake reservoir about an hour ago, and so far no leaks! I will have to check again tomorrow, but, I don't see how I could possible get it more "in". I think during the first go around it might have actually been the grommet, since I had a similar experience. As it sits I can push the line down a little to the point the silver line is touching but it just settles back to the position in the pic. I'm thinking maybe it's in but the flared line pulls it up a little?

Clearly I wasn't as delicate with this procedure as most people- I caused some scratches from my efforts but you can see the fat silver line just above where the grommet is.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-22593-1603763197.1.jpg)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:29 PM