Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Baptism by Fire 914 Resto, Soon to start w/ 914
MBowman325
post Jul 14 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,413
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey all!

I've aquired a 73 914 2.0 that's in pretty sad shape, as far as my knowledge in cars goes. From what I can tell, it has all the typical rust problems of the teeners, including the right long that's just as well not there. But hey, for a free car, I can't complain! That and I figure that it allows me more creative licence with the car than if it were a running car in stock condition.

I'll get some pictures posted with in the next week, but I've got one other project ahead of the 914 to finish up and get outta the garage. (87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe taking up but bays of my garage, half a room, and a closet)

I do have a question. My 914 sat in a field for at least several months, if not several years (registration expired in '98), and rats have eaten the front harness from the grommet to about 3 feet down line. A PO converted to carb, and I'm thinking about trying to pickup a harness that's up on E-bay. Since I'll likely lose, are there any other viable places to snag a harness from? My alternate thought was to attempt to reconstruct that section of the harness, but I don't know how much damage the rats have done through the rest of the car...

Suggestions? (Other than pictures?) Seeing some of the other posts here have been quite an inspiration to get started and carry through. Actually seeing (and sitting in) another 914 this past weekend that was in very good condition helped too.

Michael Bowman
1996 Impala SS
1978 Monte Carlo Landau (almost finished LT1 swap)
1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe
1973 Porsche 914 2.0
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Jul 14 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 897

Micheal,
Welcome to the fold -
There are plenty of folks who are more than willing to help you out here - Post pics, ask questions, and come to the local gatherings such as the dinner at Joes Crabshack tomorrow night in Grapevine,and the MUSR in Sept. Just remember, that having your car at the event is not mandatory, or even in most cases, the standard... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Thom
+Quote Post
MBowman325
post Sep 14 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #3

I'm sorta resurecting an old thread here.

I've got some pictures posted over at Pelican http://www.pelicanparts.com/MotorCity/alch...hemi/index.html of the current condition of my car. I caught up with another enthusist here in town a couple of weeks back who offered to let me have a go at his parts stash for a couple of things I need (including most or all of a FI system, not sure what year/type). He no longer has his 914, and his wife is making him ditch the parts left.

I'm aware of some pretty serious issues that some have had with their 914, and not being all the used to rust, I think mine looks pretty severe, but looking at replacement sheet metal, manageable. I plan on prepping the car in an attempt to start it, if turning it over by hand reveals that it's not froze up.

I'm gonna need all the help I can get on this one probabily, so once I tear into it, I might be a frequent flier and owing drinks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer3.gif) (money, labor (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) or whatever else I can barter with) to many people.

Sucks that I missed MUSR this year, especially when it was so close, but I had some other things pop up that prety much deep sixed any chance I had of going.

Mike
+Quote Post
Gint
post Sep 14 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I fixed your URL in that last post to be an actual link and also fixed your smilies.

If we can resurrect a 2 year old 9-14 Day thread, this one is certainly viable. Welcome to the club and good luck. Stick with it and the rewards will be sweet.
+Quote Post
MBowman325
post Sep 14 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #5

See, I need all the help I can get!

I appreciate it Mike
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 09:04 PM