Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rear wheel bearings, - brands/recent issues
MM1
post Oct 26 2020, 03:21 PM
Post #1

914 obsession continues

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

SKF vs FAG

I thought I read recently that some of you have had issues with newer FAG bearings vs SKF - can you please comment?

With that tip I tried to buy SKF's (which were made in Italy) from one of our favorite suppliers recently, but received - from their supplier - a chinese bearing in an SKF (made in Italy) box.

Stuff happens, so no issues with one of our favorite suppliers . . . you know who you are - we thank you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I'll be attempting this replacement myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) , so I don't want to do this again in 6 months, so should I insist on tracking down real SKF's?

Are the older SKF's made in Germany and more reliable (and available from 'Teeners)?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 27)
MM1
post Oct 28 2020, 10:10 AM
Post #21

914 obsession continues

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 27 2020, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(MM1 @ Oct 27 2020, 10:57 AM) *

Btw - this brings up another question: I thought I read on an older thread that one of our most active members suggested opening new rear wheel bearings and using a proper grease (don't remember what that was) . . .would you all consider that? Makes sense on a 100k bearing - but I would be afraid to rip a seal . . .

That might have been me. After reading a few reports of FAG bearings shipping with little grease in them and the video linked below, I decided to pop mine open before install. Sure enough, one looked like it had adequate grease but the other had noticeably less. I repacked them with Redline synthetic bearing grease. @Superhawk996 has engineering experience with wheel bearings and thought opening and repacking was unnecessary and maybe even unwise. I'm just a dumbass hoping to prevent premature failure so can't say with any authority if opening and regreasing is good practice, but to my uneducated eye, the one bearing looked pretty sketchy to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A5kf5pXl4w

Thank you for explaining that, Brent.

+Quote Post
MM1
post Oct 28 2020, 10:18 AM
Post #22

914 obsession continues

QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 27 2020, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(MM1 @ Oct 27 2020, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Oct 27 2020, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 26 2020, 08:04 PM) *

Yes, Timken makes a correct bearing. Another good choice.

Timken 513106
QUOTE(MM1 @ Oct 26 2020, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 26 2020, 08:04 PM) *

Yes, Timken makes a correct bearing. Another good choice.

Timken 513106

Thanks, Mark - I wonder if it’s made in the good ol’ U.S. of A?

The Timkens add at Amazon has a review from 2017 w/ pics from a Boxter owner where he broke a new set open to find lubrication issues.
https://www.amazon.com/Timken-513106-Wheel-...customerReviews

Thank you - notice the picture of the item is FAG with red seal.

Btw - this brings up another question: I thought I read on an older thread that one of our most active members suggested opening new rear wheel bearings and using a proper grease (don't remember what that was) . . .would you all consider that? Makes sense on a 100k bearing - but I would be afraid to rip a seal . . .

I did just that... here's my thread when I did it. I felt that my bearings did not have enough grease in them... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=337345&hl=

Thanks, Luke - yep that's the thread I (partially) read.

I truly appreciate information and opinions from you all - both sides help inform my decision (but they are waaaay better/trustworthy than reading reviews on Amazon - and a hundred times more fun).
+Quote Post
second wind
post Oct 30 2020, 11:04 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,543

Ok....so now I am befuddled.....I want the best bearings available but not clear on how to get them. I see FAG bearings for sale but the pictures of them say made in Germany, Slovenia, and Spain. I kinda' want the German ones....any reason I should be thinking this? Then I guess I have to repack them from the get go....? Once I replace them I do not want to ever do it again.....any and all comments welcome. Thank you very much.
gg
+Quote Post
second wind
post Oct 31 2020, 07:26 PM
Post #24

Somebody out there with an answer, opinion, or ??
Thank you,
gg
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 31 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

PMB site show SKF or FAG are the ones being part of the 5 lug conversion.

You can try sending a message to Eric S (PMB Performance) or from Pelican has FAG canada and SKF Italy.

I believed both FAG and SKF should last for many miles or years if you just use the car for street or canyon drive.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 31 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

We never repacked the new wheel bearings when I worked at the Porsche shop. Just installed, torqued to spec and drove them. I never heard of any issues from our customers. That include high hp, 12” rear wheel builds.

My theory on the Boxster spec car wheel bearing failure is they went from 0 to fast and hit the turns at speed and the grease in the bearings never warmed up and flowed to the entire unit. Street cars get driven at slower speeds with the new bearings and the grease has time to distribute throughout the bearing before the car hits a high speed turn. It’s just my own theory. I have no proof.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
second wind
post Nov 10 2020, 11:00 PM
Post #27

Hello....sorry to belabor this point....where can I buy FAG rear wheel bearings that are actually made in Germany? Does it matter? Something about made in Slovenia isn't working for me. Or should I just go SKF? Where are they made? I just want the best as you only do the job once every 100k miles as I understand it. Thank you very much.
gg
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 11 2020, 06:20 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have one NOS FAG made in Germany. Check with Rich at HPH and see IF he has anymore.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 10:42 AM