Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Porsche Part, Globalization Continues
914Sixer
post Oct 29 2020, 06:33 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I saw this ad and something JUMPED out at me. Look at the emblem box, MADE in TAIWAN. Got to love it. Porsche is continuing to go Wal-Mart on us. Just adding this to the long list of Porsche parts that has gone that way.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Mark Henry
post Oct 29 2020, 08:37 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

They weren't making enough money on parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 29 2020, 08:51 AM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm restoring a 1971 bmw airhead

ordered the expensive... brand new tank emblems (porcelain i think)
straight from BMW in Germany
but upon opening... made in china
+Quote Post
Racer
post Oct 29 2020, 08:58 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 29 2020, 08:33 AM) *

I saw this ad and something JUMPED out at me. Look at the emblem box, MADE in TAIWAN. Got to love it. Porsche is continuing to go Wal-Mart on us. Just adding this to the long list of Porsche parts that has gone that way.

it would have cost more if hand made by German artisans.. and NO one would buy one at those prices (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

We complain when things are expensive.. and then complain more when we buy one cheap and then learn why it was so cheap. Silly Globalization (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

That said, that crest looks nice!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 29 2020, 10:04 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Time will tell......
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 29 2020, 10:41 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

The die has been cast.

The decions which have been made over the last 50 years are now coming to fruition.

Staying in context with respect to Porsche. How many Boxters were made in Finland? Wasn't it obvious as far back as 1997 that production capacities would eventually be moved out of Germany to lower cost countires?

One way or another, this is a trend that has been in the works for a very long time.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 29 2020, 11:21 AM
Post #7

that's what I do!

So.... if it wasn't made in Stuttgart it isn't real Porsche?

Maybe globalization is the reason the 914 is no longer NARP? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 29 2020, 11:41 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Considers "problem" of "globalization" vs Taiwan parts for a vintage German car that's in the U.S. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Then considers fact said German car manufacturer started making cars in Austria, and has also sold "German" sports cars made in Finland as well as South Africa.

Then considers some of the very best parts ever bolted onto a Porsche were from companies based here in the USA, making parts in the USA, the UK, and Japan among others. Parts to include optional upgrades offered by Porsche for factory GT3 race cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Maybe "globalization," or merely the ability to buy things made elsewhere, isn't so bad? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And then there are all of the aftermarket parts for Porsches made around the world, some to an incredibly high standard. SSI of old, and so many more today (with some of their purveyors being members here). Key is that parts are available, whether from PAG or others, and for prices we can afford.

Don't get me wrong: All original is the highest bar, then comes OE/NOS, period OEM, OEM, great repro, etc in roughly that order. And, yes, some of Porsche Classic's parts disappoint when it comes to visuals, function, quality, and value (I'll point to my failing window seals as Exhibit A). Others I've purchased were as good as the original stuff. Would I like for all Porsche Classic parts to be made in Europe, and made in the old way? Sure. But as others have said, it's unrealistic—and, for most of us, I'll take cars that run and drive and can be maintained as they continue to be used.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 29 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 29 2020, 10:41 AM) *

Considers "problem" of "globalization" vs Taiwan parts for a vintage German car that's in the U.S. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Then considers fact said German car manufacturer started making cars in Austria, and has also sold "German" sports cars made in Finland as well as South Africa.

Then considers some of the very best parts ever bolted onto a Porsche were from companies based here in the USA, making parts in the USA, the UK, and Japan among others. Parts to include optional upgrades offered by Porsche for factory GT3 race cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Maybe "globalization," or merely the ability to buy things made elsewhere, isn't so bad? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And then there are all of the aftermarket parts for Porsches made around the world, some to an incredibly high standard. SSI of old, and so many more today (with some of their purveyors being members here). Key is that parts are available, whether from PAG or others, and for prices we can afford.

Don't get me wrong: All original is the highest bar, then comes OE/NOS, period OEM, OEM, great repro, etc in roughly that order. And, yes, some of Porsche Classic's parts disappoint when it comes to visuals, function, quality, and value (I'll point to my failing window seals as Exhibit A). Others I've purchased were as good as the original stuff. Would I like for all Porsche Classic parts to be made in Europe, and made in the old way? Sure. But as others have said, it's unrealistic—and, for most of us, I'll take cars that run and drive and can be maintained as they continue to be used.

Tesla...made in the Republic of California! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 29 2020, 11:59 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 29 2020, 01:21 PM) *

So.... if it wasn't made in Stuttgart it isn't real Porsche?

Maybe globalization is the reason the 914 is no longer NARP? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

That combined with the modern trend of cross branding and lack of clear ownership of brands confusing customers. Peugeot/Fiat Chrysler/DaimerChrysler/Chrysler etc.?

Chrysler has made minivans for VW. Ferrari and Maserati sharing engine platforms.

List goes on.

Maybe people don't see a Porsche 914 manufactured by VW as a net negative anymore?
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Oct 29 2020, 12:05 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 29 2020, 10:49 AM) *

Tesla...made in the Republic of California! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

As far as I'm concerned, Elon Musk can take his crazy self and go elsewhere. He's such a freak.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 29 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Oct 29 2020, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 29 2020, 10:49 AM) *

As far as I'm concerned, Elon Musk can take his crazy self and go elsewhere. He's such a freak.

One man's freak is another man's genious.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Oct 29 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,589

That said, that crest looks nice!

Disagree, the horse image looks mottled.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 29 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #14

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I've got an old German made one in it's faded original package. Never thought much of it but maybe it's finally worth something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 29 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 29 2020, 04:35 PM) *

I've got an old German made one in it's faded original package. Never thought much of it but maybe it's finally worth something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

big bucks , if its red enamel, not glassy look,..911S registry
+Quote Post
djway
post Oct 29 2020, 08:58 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 19,266

If Porsche sets the materials specifications, dimensions etc and then do quality checks does it really matter where it's made? Spec is Spec.
+Quote Post
draganc
post Oct 29 2020, 11:17 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(djway @ Oct 29 2020, 07:58 PM) *

If Porsche sets the materials specifications, dimensions etc and then do quality checks does it really matter where it's made? Spec is Spec.

Yes it does, in particular on older or classic cars.

I’m guessing here, but I’m certain that pre 1985
cars were mainly made by German or at least
European parts.

If we are going just by performance (ie it’s the
same spec globalization blabla), why not just drive
a high performing Lexus, Nissan or Acura?

The question/point that would me shut down, was
the Made in Taiwan part priced accordingly, or with
a Sauerkraut price stamp?

+Quote Post
Coondog
post Oct 30 2020, 06:11 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Bought my replacement crest off eBay and I don’t care where it was made (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
It looks great on my car.

But for clarification if my car didn’t come with a crest on it, I would have never put one on the hood-trunk-boot.....whatever you call it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 30 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

This is a good discussion.

To each their own, but I generally prefer German or European parts on my German car—simply because that's what it is: a car from that part of the world.

However, that's tempered by my budget as well as my desire to improve the car. Back when SSI was here, I went with SSI heat exchangers over factory stuff because SSI was plainly superior. So, if there's a better part made here in the USA (or wherever), I may well go that way.

I have mad respect for the preservation and survivor cars, and those who keep them, but my 914 is a driver first...
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 30 2020, 11:05 AM
Post #20

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 30 2020, 08:11 AM) *

Bought my replacement crest off eBay and I don’t care where it was made (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
It looks great on my car.

But for clarification if my car didn’t come with a crest on it, I would have never put one on the hood-trunk-boot.....whatever you call it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Attached Image

Frunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

IIRC The ebay badges are real, old ones that have been striped and painted black.
There's a guy on the bird who buys old and broken badges.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 01:32 PM