Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche Part, Globalization Continues
Mikey914
post Oct 30 2020, 11:53 AM
Post #21

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Good thing ther3 ar3 other options (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Oct 30 2020, 12:59 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(djway @ Oct 29 2020, 10:58 PM) *

If Porsche sets the materials specifications, dimensions etc and then do quality checks does it really matter where it's made? Spec is Spec.

In theory. In practice, you write a spec w/ quality checks that you hope cover all the bases, then a manufacturer is likely to take that spec and find corners to cut that you did not think of or maybe assumed would be a given. If you've ever read Donohue's racing book "The Unfair Advantage", think of that but applied to manufacturing and you see what sort of game is being played.

As an engineer, you really learn to value a vendor that takes pride in quality and leans towards the "spirit of the law" rather than the "letter of the law" when looking at your specs. Their price is always a little higher for reasons that you cannot point to on a piece of paper, but the parts work better and last longer and have few to no rejects. But you are just as likely to get blindsided by your own accounting department who will tell you to switch to the cheaper vendor - which never ends well.

OK, sorry, off my soapbox. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 30 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(djway @ Oct 29 2020, 08:58 PM) *

If Porsche sets the materials specifications, dimensions etc and then do quality checks does it really matter where it's made? Spec is Spec.

In general I tend to agree that the resulting quality is more important than where it is made, but if there is any part on a Porsche that is sacred, it has to be the crest. Kind of makes this seem like a big lie now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu2T85LNlrQ

+Quote Post
djway
post Oct 30 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 30 2020, 11:59 AM) *

In theory. In practice, you write a spec w/ quality checks that you hope cover all the bases, then a manufacturer is likely to take that spec and find corners to cut that you did not think of or maybe assumed would be a given. If you've ever read Donohue's racing book "The Unfair Advantage", think of that but applied to manufacturing and you see what sort of game is being played.

As an engineer, you really learn to value a vendor that takes pride in quality and leans towards the "spirit of the law" rather than the "letter of the law" when looking at your specs. Their price is always a little higher for reasons that you cannot point to on a piece of paper, but the parts work better and last longer and have few to no rejects. But you are just as likely to get blindsided by your own accounting department who will tell you to switch to the cheaper vendor - which never ends well.

I knew some people that would fly over to china and do random checks before they allowed the production run to be shipped. If Porsche does not do quality control then Porsche is the problem. You don't put your name on something if you don't want the reputation.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Oct 30 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 30 2020, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 30 2020, 08:11 AM) *

Bought my replacement crest off eBay and I don’t care where it was made (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
It looks great on my car.

But for clarification if my car didn’t come with a crest on it, I would have never put one on the hood-trunk-boot.....whatever you call it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Frunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

IIRC The ebay badges are real, old ones that have been striped and painted black.
There's a guy on the bird who buys old and broken badges.

I thought it was noted somewhere that NONE of the 914's came from the factory with the 'frunk' badge, they were all dealer installed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 30 2020, 05:49 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Oct 30 2020, 04:21 PM) *

I thought it was noted somewhere that NONE of the 914's came from the factory with the 'frunk' badge, they were all dealer installed.

Almost true. At least two 914s rolled out of the factory with hood badges but neither of them were for sale. One of the more interesting factoids in the 50 Years Porsche 914 book for me was that the 914 program committee proposed a recommendation to put the crest on the hood of the cars and it was approved. However, they were already being marketed as VW-Porsche in Europe so our cars never got their badges. Among all the other NARP nonsense, I've often heard people claim that Porsche didn't badge the car to make clear it wasn't a real Porsche. Historical documents indicate it was VW who found the car kind of a PITA but Porsche was happy with what they had made.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 31 2020, 07:40 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Porsche also has the hood badges made in main land china.

What is really funny is that the original german supplier of the hood badges is now considered a counterfeit badge maker

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 29 2020, 05:33 AM) *

I saw this ad and something JUMPED out at me. Look at the emblem box, MADE in TAIWAN. Got to love it. Porsche is continuing to go Wal-Mart on us. Just adding this to the long list of Porsche parts that has gone that way.

+Quote Post
Jmkorfha
post Oct 31 2020, 12:38 PM
Post #28

I'm not a singing grandpa.

Member No.: 16,569
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I must add that if you are not having your Porsche worked on by a mechanic of German descent, like me, the repairs or mods cannot be considered legitimate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 1 2020, 07:19 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 30 2020, 03:13 PM) *

QUOTE(djway @ Oct 29 2020, 08:58 PM) *

In general I tend to agree that the resulting quality is more important than where it is made, but if there is any part on a Porsche that is sacred, it has to be the crest. Kind of makes this seem like a big lie now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu2T85LNlrQ

At its worst, aren’t marketing and lying synonymous ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 1 2020, 07:21 AM
Post #30

914 Guru

QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 30 2020, 02:59 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) BTDT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 1 2020, 07:25 AM
Post #31

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jmkorfha @ Oct 31 2020, 02:38 PM) *

I must add that if you are not having your Porsche worked on by a mechanic of German descent, like me, the repairs or mods cannot be considered legitimate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Feb 11 2021, 07:25 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 1,349

Forgive me for reviving this thread, but i suppose being only a few months old, isn't too much of a crime. But, where are Porsche reproduction parts made (seals, tail lights, battery trays)? I'm sure Uro is China, but what about 914Rubber, and AutoAtlanta?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 01:26 PM