Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake Marker Location Question
Charles Freeborn
post Nov 4 2020, 04:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here's more of a racing / data question.. but since I race a 914 it sort of relates.. or that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Maybe a total eyeroll question for you veterans. But here goes..

How are the brake distance signs placed or located? I mean the 500, 400, 300 foot signs.

I've never given it much thought - other than to trial and error; see how far I can push and then use that as my reference.

Are they a specific distance from a specific part of each turn, such as a tangent from the maximum radius inside, outside, or middle of the track? Is this metric consistent from track to track, or even turn to turn on any given track?

The reason I ask is I'm learning about data collection and the Aim software used to analyze it. I'm on this journey with a friend who is very minutia oriented (he's an accountant), and would like to be able to see where on the track, relative to the fixed markers, his data lines are occurring.

I personally am not anywhere near as mathematical, drive much more by feel and determine my own visual markers based on the fixed ones, but I have to admit this question has piqued my curiosity. I'll pose the same question on one of the Aim forums, but thought I'd run it up the pole here first.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trackd
post Nov 5 2020, 10:18 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,854
Region Association: None

I believe the markers are place before the turns start. But it may vary track to track. I don't think there is a standard in place for markers in amateur tracks. I could be wrong. There may be a method used for tracks that professional organizations like Nascar or IMSA. I wouldn't knock your question, its a decent question to ask.

+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Nov 5 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,985
Region Association: None

I've wondered how accurately they are measured, and whether they measure to point of turn in, apex, or what ...
+Quote Post
slivel
post Nov 5 2020, 04:41 PM
Post #4

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Nov 5 2020, 01:57 PM) *

I've wondered how accurately they are measured, and whether they measure to point of turn in, apex, or what ...

I never worried about whether or not they were accurately placed, if it was a track new to me , I'd start my threshold braking at the 5 board and if that was no problem walk it in closer on the next lap and so on until you see god. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Nov 5 2020, 04:51 PM
Post #5

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Agree with all of the above, I’m not sure they’re measured the same as sharper corners or ones after long straights seem to be spaced farther from the turn-in point - maybe just in my mind.

Realistically they are there as warning markers and to be used for reference as you’ve mentioned.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Nov 5 2020, 08:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

They're reference points, not distance markers; treat them as such.

And when you go back to that same track, assume they've been moved. Because they likely have been.
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Nov 6 2020, 02:13 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 5 2020, 06:54 PM) *

They're reference points, not distance markers; treat them as such.

And when you go back to that same track, assume they've been moved. Because they likely have been.

You’re missing the point of my original question. What I am asking (for a friend- really..) which is there any consistency or universal metric that can translate to the track map function in a data analysis software ( specifically AiM)?

I too use brake markers for arbitrary reference. My friend has recently purchased a winning car(Miata) from a winning driver and also got several data files from races with the purchase. If he could cross reference the location of the PO’s data (braking points, etc)with physical markers on the track it will shorten his learning curve. Capeesh?
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Nov 6 2020, 02:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

<deleted>
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:52 AM