Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Opinions?, looking for a new DD with 4 doors
what should i buy?
what should i buy?
1. 97 MB E420 - Silver/Grey 31,000 miles [ 2 ] ** [11.11%]
2. 03 BMW 530i - Blue/Tan 30,000 miles - 5 SPD [ 13 ] ** [72.22%]
3. 05 MB C230 - 6 spd [ 3 ] ** [16.67%]
Total Votes: 18
Guests cannot vote 
TROJANMAN
post Jul 15 2005, 11:20 AM
Post #1

Looks nice in pictures.........

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

NO, i don't want a subaru. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
and i don't trust AUDI's

i am looking for a new sedan, because the family is expanding.
BTW i am selling my '03 C230 coupe 6 spd(if anyone is interested pm me, it's loaded and near perfect).

the 3 cars listed above are what think i like so far. i like the E420, because i think it's a steal, and the other 2 cost $10k+ more than the E420 (please consider this when voting, i know i am).

Just looking for opinions. thanks in advance.

The BMW is definitely the sportier choice, but the E420 has a nice fat engine. i know the E420 isn't a responsive vehicle, but that's why i have the 914. This will strictly be a DD and family car. i already know the wife is going to miss the coupe though. she made a comment last night about "whipping it around the parking lot".
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 15 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I voted for the BMW...test drove a new E500 a few months ago and found it "boring" to drive, sure it had power, but the steering response sucked...could have been the tires on this particular model......
+Quote Post
solex
post Jul 15 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,439
Region Association: North East States

By far the best car I owned was a 2000 328Ci. Got it new and put 27K on it in one year and did not have a single problem. Fun, reliable, comfortable and looked good.

not a big fan of the recent designs, but I believe they are better engineered then the new MB's. There was also an article in a recent WSJ that discussed the major quality problems DC is having with thier MB-line is having.

Dan
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 15 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I voted the E420, 97? Shouldnt that be an E430? Maybe not, I had an E420 and really loved it, drove so nice, lots of power, the 530 was a bastard child from day one. Lots of problems with that engine. If it is the V8 anyway. They have a 6 cylinder that was ok but the V8 530I had lots of engine problems. Expensive ones.Just make sure you put the gas cap on tight after refueling. Otherwise your check engine light will come on.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 15 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #5

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I just drove a 03 530 the other day for the first time... GREAT car... you won't regret it... I was IMPRESSED
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jul 15 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #6

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

I think the little C class Benz cars are great for a daily driver but I've driven a few of the bigger ones and really wasn't all that impressed, especially for the money. I drove my bosses wifes S600 for a day and really couldn't see the big deal...
+Quote Post
ematulac
post Jul 15 2005, 11:52 AM
Post #7

914 addict

Member No.: 1,382

I'd stay away from the 530i. One of the ladies here has spent about $6000 in engine repairs in repairs on her 530i in the last 2 years alone.

Most of the BMW owners I've spoken to who have newer BMW's were generally dissapointed with the reliability, fit, and finish of their cars, but most of them drive 3 series cars.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 15 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #8

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

This is all I have to say:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jul 15 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #9

what about a SAAB 9-5 Aero?

i had a 9-3 and thought it was the greatest.

+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 15 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #10

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jul 15 2005, 11:21 AM)
what about a SAAB 9-5 Aero?  

i had a 9-3 and thought it was the greatest.

I vote saab 9-2x (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) (yes, I'm sneaky)
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Jul 15 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 770

My vote was for the 530I. I had a chance to drive a brand new one of those with the sport package and was seriously impressed. I got a chance to really wind it up and that was an impressive daily driver. The E430 is an interesting choice, but I think it would quickly become your dad's car. I drove a 98 E320 and found it was nice, but nothing exciting to drive. Quiet, smooth and built like a tank, but not sporty, plus I bet that v8 dosn't get the greatest mileage. The C-Class is an intersting option but I would think it would be not much bigger than the coupe you have right now. If I remeber right they are the same platfrom, no? Oh and how did you like the compressor? I would deffinatly factor that into my decision. The Saab 9-5 is a great car, friend of mine has an Aero and loves the car, but recently has had a lot of problems with it. He say's is really fast and lots of fun to drive, but hit or miss on the one you get. could just turn into another saab story on you really quicky and it's expensive. Anyway that's my two bits, drive them all and you'll know which one you want then.
Eric
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jul 15 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Buy my Taurus and i'll throw in the spoiler for free LOL (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
Ferg
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jul 15 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Eric Taylor @ Jul 15 2005, 10:32 AM)
My vote was for the 530I. I had a chance to drive a brand new one of those with the sport package and was seriously impressed. I got a chance to really wind it up and that was an impressive daily driver. The E430 is an interesting choice, but I think it would quickly become your dad's car. I drove a 98 E320 and found it was nice, but nothing exciting to drive. Quiet, smooth and built like a tank, but not sporty, plus I bet that v8 dosn't get the greatest mileage. The C-Class is an intersting option but I would think it would be not much bigger than the coupe you have right now. If I remeber right they are the same platfrom, no? Oh and how did you like the compressor? I would deffinatly factor that into my decision. The Saab 9-5 is a great car, friend of mine has an Aero and loves the car, but recently has had a lot of problems with it. He say's is really fast and lots of fun to drive, but hit or miss on the one you get. could just turn into another saab story on you really quicky and it's expensive. Anyway that's my two bits, drive them all and you'll know which one you want then.
Eric

the kompressor engine is AMAZING. 34 on the highway and it's realy zippy. i know the sedan isn't much roomier than the coupe , but it does have 4 doors, and that make a big difference with child seats.

i agree on the saab. i sold my 9-3 to my brother a couple of years ago, and he just had to drop a grand on a new computer unit. but, it was a great car when i had it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) the 9-5 is nice though, b/c it isn't as flashy as a MB or BMW.

E420 drives more like a boat than a tank, but i know what you mean. the + is the fact it has the 8 cyl engine. and the gas mileage is actually pretty good 25 hwy and high teens city.

+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jul 15 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Ferg @ Jul 15 2005, 10:35 AM)
Buy my Taurus and i'll throw in the spoiler for free LOL (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
Ferg

did you at least get the SHO? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Trevorg7
post Jul 15 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,241
Region Association: Southwest Region

Can't go wrong with the 5 series. Good drivers car.

T
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jul 15 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Nope, that's why it's not staying in my driveway very long...
i'm looking at a miata tomorrow, but that's not exactly family friendly. even as a 2nd car.

I know it's not on your list but i'd also tell you to look at the G35 Infinity, nice cars.

Ferg.
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jul 15 2005, 12:55 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Ferg @ Jul 15 2005, 10:53 AM)
I know it's not on your list but i'd also tell you to look at the G35 Infinity, nice cars.

Ferg.

i have been looking at those, for a while. great car, just not for me. i almost bought their coupe before i bought the MB, but the backseat was actually smaller than the car i bought.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jul 15 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #18

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

QUOTE (Ferg @ Jul 15 2005, 11:53 AM)

I agree. The coupe is really nice. My wife has an I30 and it has never had a single problem....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 06:55 PM