Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is the latest thinking on 914/4 Brake Up Grades?
neilbardsley
post Nov 12 2020, 04:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,754
Region Association: Europe

My car has almost new everything for the brakes.

Rebuilt front calipers. The first thing I did was to bleed the brakes. I didn't know about the proportioning value but will try to bleed that too.

The pads have only had 200 miles use so are still bedding so hopefully there is more to come. I have to say I think my drum brakes on my 356 are as good and the disc brakes on my old 912 were better. Bad or good I could lock the wheels. I'm thinking of significantly upgrading the engine so would want more stopping power

I've read about the BMW replacement, Alfa and Volvo. The Volvo sounds like the most straightforward and effective?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Nov 12 2020, 07:14 AM
Post #2

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Properly functioning stock brakes are excellent and you should definitely be able to lock up the wheels. Did you set the rear venting clearance? That’s super important.

914 brakes can sometimes be a bit finicky to bleed when starting with all new components. On my car, when I replaced the calipers it took no fewer than 4X with a pressure bleeder and some stomp bleeding as well, with short drives over bumpy roads in between to dislodge bubbles. I also shot fluid up through the bottom bleed screws with a syringe. Others have had good results with gravity bleeding. After that, the pedal is rock solid and the stopping power is great.

Also, there’s a process for bedding the pads which involves repeated acceleration and hard braking (on empty roads)..not sure that driving alone will do as good a job.
Check PMBperformance.com for more info. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 12 2020, 08:20 AM
Post #3

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I would make a call to Eric at PMB and chat with him about how to maximize your braking. He is always willing to help and share his thoughts on our cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 12 2020, 08:45 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Quality pads

No crappy street pads

Makes all the difference

Bmw calipers are not an upgrade
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Nov 12 2020, 08:53 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 12 2020, 07:45 AM) *

Quality pads

No crappy street pads

Makes all the difference

Bmw calipers are not an upgrade

I'm curious why you say that BMW calipers are not an upgrade. Can you explain why? The PO put a set on my car.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 12 2020, 08:59 AM
Post #6

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I agree, for a stock-ish car you should be fine with a proper functioning stock setup. I ran numerous track events in the desert years ago on stock brakes with just the 19mm master cylinder plus good race pads & fluid. Check/change any rubber lines that are questionable also.
+Quote Post
neilbardsley
post Nov 13 2020, 06:54 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 24,754
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(iankarr @ Nov 12 2020, 07:14 AM) *

Properly functioning stock brakes are excellent and you should definitely be able to lock up the wheels. Did you set the rear venting clearance? That’s super important.

914 brakes can sometimes be a bit finicky to bleed when starting with all new components. On my car, when I replaced the calipers it took no fewer than 4X with a pressure bleeder and some stomp bleeding as well, with short drives over bumpy roads in between to dislodge bubbles. I also shot fluid up through the bottom bleed screws with a syringe. Others have had good results with gravity bleeding. After that, the pedal is rock solid and the stopping power is great.

Also, there’s a process for bedding the pads which involves repeated acceleration and hard braking (on empty roads)..not sure that driving alone will do as good a job.
Check PMBperformance.com for more info. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

The previous owner, who is a better mechanic than, me set the rear venting clearance.

I've changed discs/pads on my more modern cars and the pads normally bad in pretty quickly.

PS your location is reminding me that maybe years ago a did a Triathlon in Rye. Not a million miles from your location. Very nice area and a lot more green than our place on the Huston in NJ.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Nov 13 2020, 07:56 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,338
Region Association: None

You never really stated what's wrong with the brakes. Low pedal, soft pedal, no bite? What pads?

The importance of the rear brakes cannot be overstated on these cars. I rebuilt front and rear calipers, installed a 19mm M/C, and replaced brake hoses. Pedal was crap. MANY rounds with a power bleeder, setting venting clearance, and lots of heat cycles later, they're great brakes.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 01:12 AM