Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT - Shopping for a CPO Macan., Advice? Experience? Warnings? Recommendations?
VegasRacer
post Nov 18 2020, 11:05 PM
Post #1

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

My sister is finally ready to join the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/crest.gif) family. Her next vehicle will be a Porsche Macan. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
It is my job as the older and wiser brother to help her make the right selection. I am asking the brain trust here for advice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon14.gif)

The initial want list: Must be a 'Pretty Blue" color. (Sapphire, Voodoo, Miami, Mexico.) PDK. Newest & Lowest Mileage possible. @ 50 K to spend.

What all should we be looking for / to avoid? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SKL1
post Nov 19 2020, 10:04 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Gotta agree with Cairo. We bought a slightly used '17 GTS a couple years ago as air suspension was a must as we had it on our first gen Cayenne some 15-16 years ago!

My older son also had a S with air suspension etc.

We loved it- replaced a TDI Q5 and couldn't believe they were made off the same basic chassis as it felt like a totally different animal.

Would have kept it until the warranty was out next spring but I had a chance to buy my son's nearly new RS5 sportback recently and love that car. I sold the Macan to a friend here and he loves it.

I'd go for a used CPO'ed GTS- there are a lot of them out there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 20 2020, 12:26 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Nov 19 2020, 08:04 PM) *

Gotta agree with Cairo. We bought a slightly used '17 GTS a couple years ago as air suspension was a must as we had it on our first gen Cayenne some 15-16 years ago!

My older son also had a S with air suspension etc.

We loved it- replaced a TDI Q5 and couldn't believe they were made off the same basic chassis as it felt like a totally different animal.

Would have kept it until the warranty was out next spring but I had a chance to buy my son's nearly new RS5 sportback recently and love that car. I sold the Macan to a friend here and he loves it.

I'd go for a used CPO'ed GTS- there are a lot of them out there.

Last drive I did with a PCA group back in January (seems like ages ago) a guy with a GTS was following me in the 987. He was on my tail most of the way and I was trying to leave him in the turns and he was right there. That air suspension is really cool and with it lowered he was one handing the turns on the way to Newcombes.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Nov 20 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #4

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 20 2020, 10:26 AM) *

Last drive I did with a PCA group back in January (seems like ages ago) a guy with a GTS was following me in the 987. He was on my tail most of the way and I was trying to leave him in the turns and he was right there. That air suspension is really cool and with it lowered he was one handing the turns on the way to Newcombes.

On a recent, local, spirited drive, I was behind a Macan GTS. I was working Elvira to keep pace with the group. Watching the Macan in front of me was like watching a cheap animated video where the vehicle was a stationary photograph and only the background moved. The GTS appeared to be immune to the g-forces I was experiencing.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 21 2020, 09:52 AM
Post #5

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Nov 20 2020, 11:05 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 20 2020, 10:26 AM) *

On a recent, local, spirited drive, I was behind a Macan GTS. I was working Elvira to keep pace with the group. Watching the Macan in front of me was like watching a cheap animated video where the vehicle was a stationary photograph and only the background moved. The GTS appeared to be immune to the g-forces I was experiencing.

What your experiencing is what has ruined most sports cars for me.

Mecan has AWD, Air Suspension, traction control, every net in the book to make it a great driver. What that does is makes a great handling car with out all the raw inputs required to make it work.

I just sold a Miata for this very reason. My 7 series was a better handling car. Who would have thought that a BMW 7 series RWD would be a better car to drive than a Miata. Well me, that's who. Now I will go to the next level, take my 7 series and toss it up against my wife's X5M. I have to work hard to keep up. There is no way to do it in a straight line the X5M has too much power and AWD puts it all to the ground. The 7 series and even my Boxster can not keep up. But it is in the corners where the AWD, air suspension, leveling and everything come together. That X5M will out run my entire fleet, I have to work hard to even have the Boxster to hang with it.

This is part of the reason I have almost given up on the 914, my good fortune has placed me in some epic rides. Now that these are my DDs, everything else just seems so boring.

Maybe I need to start driving 80s cars again so that the handling and fit and finish will be back to almost pure crap, and I will appreciate everything I drive again.

And when I add up the dollars I have invested in 914s over the years, I could have afforded more epic cars. When you get seat time in McLaren's you start to realize that even BMW Ms division still has room to grow. BTW, McLarens seem to have odd issues with interior bits. Why would you make a cars seat adjustor out of fragile material. Titanium is more fitting.

She will enjoy about any model you find for here. Drive it, make sure it handles the way she wants it too.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
VegasRacer   OT - Shopping for a CPO Macan.   Nov 18 2020, 11:05 PM
914_teener   I liked the S version myself when I test drove the...   Nov 18 2020, 11:16 PM
VegasRacer   I agree on the S version. :beer2: With EVERY Po...   Nov 19 2020, 12:35 AM
914_teener   I agree on the S version. :beer2: With EVERY P...   Nov 19 2020, 11:06 AM
914forme   That is my only recommendation is she get an S or ...   Nov 19 2020, 02:29 PM
914forme   Heated seats, I get beat down anytime I buy a car ...   Nov 19 2020, 02:34 PM
Mueller   .............wrong thread...   Nov 19 2020, 05:00 PM
horizontally-opposed   Depending on options, seriously capable little SUV...   Nov 19 2020, 05:30 PM
Cairo94507   We love the Macan. Bought a '17 CPO GTS loade...   Nov 19 2020, 06:26 PM
digit3   We love the Macan. Bought a '17 CPO GTS load...   Nov 19 2020, 07:23 PM
SKL1   Gotta agree with Cairo. We bought a slightly used...   Nov 19 2020, 10:04 PM
914_teener   Gotta agree with Cairo. We bought a slightly use...   Nov 20 2020, 12:26 PM
VegasRacer   Last drive I did with a PCA group back in January...   Nov 20 2020, 10:05 PM
914forme   Last drive I did with a PCA group back in Januar...   Nov 21 2020, 09:52 AM
Front yard mechanic   Spent a day driving one while the cayenne was gett...   Nov 20 2020, 08:24 PM
snakemain   Just celebrated 6 years with my Macan S. It's...   Nov 21 2020, 06:04 AM
Tdskip   Anyone else nervous about long term prospect of th...   Nov 21 2020, 09:50 AM
Mueller   Anyone else nervous about long term prospect of t...   Nov 21 2020, 11:43 AM
DRPHIL914   Anyone else nervous about long term prospect of ...   Nov 21 2020, 02:57 PM
Coondog   So let’s talk about buying CPO. For those who kn...   Nov 21 2020, 10:44 AM
914-300Hemi   Saw this Orange Macan GTS today. It was an 18 and ...   Nov 21 2020, 09:35 PM
Mikey914   Looked into buying a GTS, that's the way I...   Nov 21 2020, 09:38 PM
digit3   I've had both a Q5 and Macan GTS and IMHO ther...   Nov 22 2020, 06:28 AM
seanpaulmc   Does anyone here actually have a base level Macan ...   Nov 26 2020, 11:12 AM
Racer   Does anyone here actually have a base level Macan...   Nov 27 2020, 07:11 AM
Cairo94507   We had a 2019 base Macan loaner for 3 days and it ...   Nov 27 2020, 09:28 AM
VegasRacer   Please welcome the newest member of the Porsche Fa...   Feb 2 2021, 08:11 PM
jhynesrockmtn   Please welcome the newest member of the Porsche F...   Feb 3 2021, 09:37 AM
914_teener   Welcome the fold Gretchen! We just got one as...   Feb 2 2021, 10:58 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:58 PM