Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Black Friday/close out muffler sale
anderssj
post Jan 4 2021, 07:04 PM
Post #61

Dog is my copilot...

Group: Members
Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks, I appreciate it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 5 2021, 09:36 AM
Post #62

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Attached Image
Here you go.

Zach
+Quote Post
TX914
post Jan 5 2021, 12:54 PM
Post #63

Alan-B

Member No.: 17,689
Region Association: None

Received my Quiet Muffler from @mb911 . Looks great! Looking forward to install. Thanks Ben! Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jan 5 2021, 01:26 PM
Post #64

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Mine's due to arrive today too. I’m planning on making a video of the old and new muffler for comparison so others can hear the difference.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 5 2021, 01:37 PM
Post #65

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 5 2021, 12:26 PM) *

Mine's due to arrive today too. I’m planning on making a video of the old and new muffler for comparison so others can hear the difference.

I received mine yesterday also and spent a good twenty minutes scrutinizing the perfection of every weld. I really can't recall buying anything welded to this standard. Truly amazing. It will be some time before I get to hear mine so look forward to your vids.

BTW, I did just a little digging and found there are cell phone apps to measure sound decibels that are surprisingly accurate. As I've muffler shopped, I've longed for a database of measured sound levels using standardized measuring procedures. Might be something the community could do with our phones? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jan 5 2021, 02:00 PM
Post #66

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have one called db meter pro that works well. I’ll use it when I make the video
+Quote Post
TX914
post Jan 5 2021, 02:26 PM
Post #67

Alan-B

Member No.: 17,689

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 4 2021, 06:50 PM) *

Once you remove the stock muffler hanger, put the gt hanger on the two trans studs. It really only fits one way. Then bolt the muffler to the heat exchangers and strap the muffler to the gt hanger.

Oh so you don’t use the stock hangar any more... guess I assumed the GT bracket would be in addition to. I suppose then one should support the heat exchangers until bolted to the muffler...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 5 2021, 02:41 PM
Post #68

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

No stock hanger.
I’m not the final answer on this but I don’t think there’s any harm in letting the he’s hang as long as you don’t lean in them. If they have all four nuts tightened down, they are pretty secure.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 5 2021, 02:48 PM
Post #69

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 5 2021, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 5 2021, 12:26 PM) *

I received mine yesterday also and spent a good twenty minutes scrutinizing the perfection of every weld. I really can't recall buying anything welded to this standard. Truly amazing. It will be some time before I get to hear mine so look forward to your vids.

BTW, I did just a little digging and found there are cell phone apps to measure sound decibels that are surprisingly accurate. As I've muffler shopped, I've longed for a database of measured sound levels using standardized measuring procedures. Might be something the community could do with our phones? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Ben has very high standards for welding.
My dad knows nothing about welding but loves great craftsmanship. He said it was beautiful.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 5 2021, 04:57 PM
Post #70

914 Guru

QUOTE(TX914 @ Jan 5 2021, 01:26 PM) *

Once you remove the stock muffler hanger, put the gt hanger on the two trans studs. It really only fits one way. Then bolt the muffler to the heat exchangers and strap the muffler to the gt hanger.

Oh so you don’t use the stock hangar any more... guess I assumed the GT bracket would be in addition to. I suppose then one should support the heat exchangers until bolted to the muffler...

I'm planning to use the stock hanger. There's no reason it won't work. The HEs are still going to be in the same place they've always been and the muffler has to bolt to them.
Just to clarify, I"m using the stock hanger INSTEAD of the GT hanger.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 5 2021, 05:04 PM
Post #71

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 5 2021, 05:57 PM) *

I'm planning to use the stock hanger. There's no reason it won't work. The HEs are still going to be in the same place they've always been and the muffler has to bolt to them.

I wouldn't but it's Ben's design so he knows more than me. @MB911
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 5 2021, 05:07 PM
Post #72

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 5 2021, 02:57 PM) *

The reason I suggest against that is because the muffler body is not supported in anyway and thus making it a lever and with the body of the muffler only .040 thick will likely work harden the welds and Crack at some point. I completely disagree with the engineering decision porsche made with stock system. The 911 setup is so much better.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 5 2021, 05:08 PM
Post #73

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2021, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 5 2021, 05:57 PM) *

I wouldn't but it's Ben's design so he knows more than me. @MB911

I look forward to his reply but I can't imagine what harm it would do. It's lighter than the stock muffler, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 5 2021, 05:15 PM
Post #74

914 Guru

A quick story as to how I got in this business. Rewind 20 years I was building a 914-6 conversion. I had a stock muffler that appeared in good shape. I took the car out for its first drive and within the 1st 15 minutes the muffler was draging behind the car.. I then built a stainless muffler (the very 1st m&k exhaust) it worked well and was much lighter but after a few years it had started to work harden. Eventually I made something similar to what you see..

I do think most will never have an issue. Its just a case and point
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 5 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #75

914 Guru

Thanks Ben. Is there any reason to think your mufflers are more susceptible to work hardening than say, a stock muffler?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 5 2021, 06:21 PM
Post #76

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 5 2021, 04:12 PM) *

Thanks Ben. Is there any reason to think your mufflers are more susceptible to work hardening than say, a stock muffler?

Only because it's stainless and then remember its thinner then a stock muffler. I have not seen any failures but don't want to either.

Moving forward the bracket will just be part of the muffler kit as a whole and not an option.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 5 2021, 06:26 PM
Post #77

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 5 2021, 05:21 PM) *

Only because it's stainless and then remember its thinner then a stock muffler. I have not seen any failures but don't want to either.

Moving forward the bracket will just be part of the muffler kit as a whole and not an option.

Gotcha. No question your hangers are a better design but I do have that originality disease. As you know, choosing a muffler was a tough decision for me, and it is a testament to the quality of yours that I was swayed from going original. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 5 2021, 06:31 PM
Post #78

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 5 2021, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 5 2021, 05:21 PM) *

Gotcha. No question your hangers are a better design but I do have that originality disease. As you know, choosing a muffler was a tough decision for me, and it is a testament to the quality of yours that I was swayed from going original. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Oh I know exactly what your saying.. I knew that was going to be a difficult decision for you. Likely never an issue but I am to careful I guess. My dads disease of being a safety inspector on every aspect of life was passed down to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
narino
post Jan 6 2021, 10:32 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 8,001

Is it still possible to buy in?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 6 2021, 10:38 AM
Post #80

914 Guru

QUOTE(narino @ Jan 6 2021, 08:32 AM) *

Is it still possible to buy in?

I still have a few left.. I am actually thinking of tooling up to do a run of these.. I am going to adjust retail on these and continue to sell at a huge value.

@narino pm me
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 06:41 AM