Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Black Friday/close out muffler sale
bahnzai
post Jan 6 2021, 11:05 AM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,509
Region Association: South East States

Maybe over kill, but I used both the standard hanger and Ben’s GT bracket.
I figured the standard bracket supports the headers/heat exchangers, and the GT bracket supports the muffler...
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jan 6 2021, 11:09 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

that's really not a bad idea - best of both worlds i guess.
+Quote Post
TX914
post Jan 6 2021, 11:18 AM
Post #83

Alan-B

Member No.: 17,689

QUOTE(bahnzai @ Jan 6 2021, 11:05 AM) *

I figured the standard bracket supports the headers/heat exchangers, and the GT bracket supports the muffler...

I want to use the stock hangar in conjunction with the GT bracket as well for extra support. Do the flanges line up okay with the stock hangar still on? Going without the stock hangar feels like not wearing a seatbelt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 6 2021, 11:34 AM
Post #84

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(TX914 @ Jan 6 2021, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(bahnzai @ Jan 6 2021, 11:05 AM) *

I want to use the stock hangar in conjunction with the GT bracket as well for extra support. Do the flanges line up okay with the stock hangar still on? Going without the stock hangar feels like not wearing a seatbelt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

The flanges should line up fine since Ben's muffler uses a stock size flange. You might have to put longer studs into the trans mount.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 6 2021, 03:54 PM
Post #85

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

I hate the stock bracket and can't wait to ditch mine once I get Ben's muffler. The stock bracket, or at least mine that may be tweaked, always seems to make hooking up the HE's to the head properly that much more difficult.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 6 2021, 11:17 PM
Post #86

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Well I feel like a dumbass. I was cleaning up packing material and empty boxes in the shop tonight and kicked a box that was unopened. Opened it up to find a shiny GT muffler hanger, gaskets, and hardware inside. I got so excited about the muffler that I overlooked the other little box. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I guess I'll do the double hanger thing too.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 7 2021, 09:32 AM
Post #87

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I don't understand the push to do a double bracket. It is not at all necessary, and the stock bracket is a PITA anyway.

Zach
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 7 2021, 10:21 AM
Post #88

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I agree. I dumped the stock bracket on my Six and went with the GT bracket and it works perfectly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 7 2021, 01:30 PM
Post #89

914 Guru

You guys just don't understand how F'd up my brain is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t1.gif)
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jan 7 2021, 01:55 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 15,610

we are getting there....
+Quote Post
TX914
post Jan 7 2021, 04:39 PM
Post #91

Alan-B

Member No.: 17,689

For myself, I initially thought that the longer exchangers (compared to 911) combined with the rotational force of the engine might be hard on the exchangers and muffler welds w/o the added stability of the original hangar. But I suppose the whole mass (engine/trans/exchangers/muffler) rotate the same amount on acceleration/decel. If the muffler is mounted with only a GT style bracket on the GT and rally cars it must not be a concern.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 7 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #92

914 Guru

QUOTE(TX914 @ Jan 7 2021, 03:39 PM) *

For myself, I initially thought that the longer exchangers (compared to 911) combined with the rotational force of the engine might be hard on the exchangers and muffler welds w/o the added stability of the original hangar. But I suppose the whole mass (engine/trans/exchangers/muffler) rotate the same amount on acceleration/decel. If the muffler is mounted with only a GT style bracket on the GT and rally cars it must not be a concern.

In reality, I think the exchangers are really supported by the muffler even with the original hanger. The muffler and HEs are bolted together as a solid unit so I don't think which hanger you use changes the forces on the HEs much. Like Ben said, with the original hanger, the weight of the muffler is cantilevered behind the hanger support point which will put strain on the inlets.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jan 17 2021, 01:34 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 11,639

Hi All,

Received my muffler. As other reported, it is a work of art.

Unfortunately, mine was manhandled by the gorillas at UPS. There is a 2.5 inch dent in upper left, near the weld line.

Ben has offered to let me return it as well as some suggestions to remove the dent. On the one hand I know I am being a bit obsessive as it *probably* will not effect sound or performance and may not even be visible once on the car. Anyway, wondering what others think in terms of repair options, returning, living with it whatever.

Ben suggested blocking the inlets and forcing done compressed air via the tailpipe. I did try this to no avail. Have not come up with a great way to seal / fill the tailpipe so not sure if the actual psi. 2.5 us not a standard plumbing size. Given gauge if metal, not sure if air without heat is enough to pop it.

Ben also offered to send me a paintless dent repair kit he has. Again, not sure if that will work as they are generally made for thinner gauge body panels and / or the hot glue might not stic to the stainless. I did try with just a heated glue stick but it popped right off.

Another option could be to use electric stud welder to tack a stud and pull the dent. However, do not want to turn one problem into a bigger problem.

Yes, we could do a UPS claim but, from my experience, UPS always blames the packaging. There was no visible damage to box. Likely it was dropped in an edge like lip of truck.

As noted, I could just live with it. Open to other ideas.

Thanks.

Mike

Attached Image

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 17 2021, 02:52 PM
Post #94

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

I would file a claim
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 17 2021, 02:53 PM
Post #95

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The can is. 040 so I think PDR would work
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 17 2021, 03:19 PM
Post #96

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

@Amphicar770 - I have received 2 of Ben's mufflers - they were packed as if they were going to circumnavigate the globe. Sorry your muffler got treated roughly somewhere during the shipping/delivery trip.

I would file a claim with UPS. Sadly some of the handlers and delivery personnel are not as careful as they should be. If it were me, I would want no dent- the muffler is a piece of art.

What would it cost to ship it back to Ben and let him straighten that out? Of course that would be after the UPS does whatever they are going do. Or you could ship it and have Ben repair it then file the claim with pictures to show the box and the damage and claim for the shipping and whatever Ben would charge to fix the muffler and return it.

Sucks that it came dented like that. We have all received parts at some point that were damaged in shipping and it is frustrating-especially when it cost so much to ship nowadays.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jan 17 2021, 04:24 PM
Post #97

Yes, although I mentioned it earlier, Ben has been accomodating in trying to resolve so kudos to him. Obviously, easiest thing for both of us would be to pop it out if possible so we are looking at that first. But yes, may wind up having to file claim with UPS if all else fails. Unfortunately, the standard response from UPS is generally to blame damage on packaging.

Fortunately, teener pretty much remains in garage until spring so hopefully can resolve. Trying to think of better way to add air pressure at tailpipe..
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jan 17 2021, 05:47 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 18,667

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 17 2021, 05:24 PM) *

Yes, although I mentioned it earlier, Ben has been accomodating in trying to resolve so kudos to him. Obviously, easiest thing for both of us would be to pop it out if possible so we are looking at that first. But yes, may wind up having to file claim with UPS if all else fails. Unfortunately, the standard response from UPS is generally to blame damage on packaging.

Fortunately, teener pretty much remains in garage until spring so hopefully can resolve. Trying to think of better way to add air pressure at tailpipe..

Given the thickness of the sheet metal in the muffler, air pressure alone won't work. You'll need to pressurize the muffler and then heat the crease with a torch. Shouldn't require so much heat that you weaken the metal, but it will be discolored. Maybe you can polish it afterward.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jan 17 2021, 05:52 PM
Post #99

QUOTE(BillC @ Jan 17 2021, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 17 2021, 05:24 PM) *

Given the thickness of the sheet metal in the muffler, air pressure alone won't work. You'll need to pressurize the muffler and then heat the crease with a torch. Shouldn't require so much heat that you weaken the metal, but it will be discolored. Maybe you can polish it afterward.

Thanks. Yes, mist of the videos I have seen use air plus heat. In this case, I do not want to try anything without Ben's guidance or approval lest I make it worse and then it becomes a situation of, "well I would have taken it back before you did whatever to it".

+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 17 2021, 06:05 PM
Post #100

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So we have so many things going on here.. 1st all these mufflers were sold at cost. It sucks when this happens because there is no way to make it work for everyone. UPS will likely require Mike give all the packing, the muffler and the box to them. Then it will take weeks for answer. They are 50/50 on what the outcome will be. Meanwhile I am sold out on the quiet mufflers and not sure when I could make more so if this were to get returned there wouldn't be a replacement available for a while.

This dent in no way effects the performance of the muffler but it sucks for the buyer as they expect the muffler as advertised and as the seller I want to provide the best experience as possible.. it's basically a terrible spot to be in..

The best way would to have Mike pop that out without any of the other alternatives..I would think the PDR kit would do it and if that won't bring it back enough then air pressure and heat..
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:18 PM