Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PCA yes or no?
robby750
post Jul 20 2003, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 521
Region Association: South East States

I pulled into the parking lot of a local business the other day and the owner (whom I know owns several Porsches) ran out and began recruiting me to join the new local chapter of the PCA. I went to a car show put on by the PCA chapter in Louisville, KY about 25 years ago and felt really out of place. It seemed as if you did not own a 911 or a 356, they were not interested in even speaking with you let alone giving your car any attention whatsoever. Have attitudes changed since then? Does the 914 get any respect at all from the PCA? This guy told me that they only had one member who has a 914 but no one has seen it yet and assures me that the other members appreciated any Porsche. I would really like to show off my car to someone who even knows what it is and am thinking about joining just for that reason. What are you thoughts? Is it worth it and what are the benifits?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 20 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

My region doesn't have many 914's but the other members know them and seem to appreciate them, especially at the track.
There is one guy who occasionaly takes his teener to DE's and the guys speak highly of him and his car. I, personally, can't wait to get one back to take to a PCA event - they are rare enough around here to be considered somewhat special.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 20 2003, 10:59 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I would definately join! They might do auto x es, and you would get respect there. Most people in the PCA are enthusiests (Ie they say it with 2 sylables (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) ) instead of the snubby knose multi millionares that buy Porsches for the name. And I think they would love to have you join, especially people who have been into Porsche's for so long (you said 25 years..).

Hey, I am a PCA member, and im 16! If they accept me and exchance good conversations with them they they certainly would accept you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Andrew
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 20 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #4

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

PCA is a great organization, overall. But its value to any particular individual is 90% dependent on their local region. Here in LA, our region is the epitome of "wine and cheese" 911 owners and basically has no events at all; there's a small concours every year, and a few olphart rally and sight-seeing tour kind of things, that's it.

Panorama magazine is a worthwhile read IMHO but is -very- "don't rock the boat" editorially, and I get more enjoyment out of Excellence, Grassroots Motorsports etc.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jul 20 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #5

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

For the most part any Porsche owner will be warmly welcomed by a PCA regional chapter. You can always find an @$$hole in every group. You might be surprised to find that many of the other members are closet teener lovers. I'll bet that more than a few owned one in the past.

There seem to be two kinds of PCA clubs. Driving clubs and Concourse Clubs. At many of our regions non-driving events, if you just looked at the parking lot you would think it was a Suburban club.

Expect to find a few Boxster yuppies in any chapter. The new owners who could not tell the difference between a 911 and a 912. You could probably get a free beer from them if the are willing to make a bet if Porsche made a tractor or not.

I do like the monthly 'Panorama' magazine. Even tho they would not do an article about our efforts to raise donations for Korijo's wheel chair fund.

If things do get ugly, just change the subject to how bad 924's are. When the angry mob goes to find somebody else to tar and feather - RUN. Don't forget to pour the spare two quarts of oil in your trunk under the back of the leaders tail dragger on your way out. He'll probably call the auto club tow truck before he thinks to check the dip-stick.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 20 2003, 11:21 PM
Post #6

Chris,

When I was in LA they called that region the "DNR" or "Do Nothing Region". I changed my membership to the Grand Prix Region. It was a much better, err, active group. They did a breakfast once a month with a drive and had concours and shows about once every 6 or 8 weeks. I don't recall much racing, but they at least did something.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 20 2003, 11:36 PM
Post #7

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Yeah, when I moved to northwest LA, I switched to Santa Barbara region. They at least have a pretty big annual concours, and local "breakfast meetings" every month. As MikeZ knows they were a pretty decent autox region in the past and are hoping to get that going again.

Fortunately there are plenty of track-oriented orgs around to fulfil the addiction (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) POC, HSR, OTR, TCRA, etc etc.
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Jul 21 2003, 12:26 AM
Post #8

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

Hi,
Iv'e been an Orange Coast member for about 10 years now. A very active group. Unfortunalely my schedule precludes me from attending a lot of the events. Time trials, auto cross, concours, fun runs to intersting places. I have called Bruce Anderson the 911 Guru asking questions about my "other" car and he has saved me a lot of time and money with his advice. (Much like this tech. forum). I think PCA membership is a good thing. The more members the better for all Porsche people. I fly a rather large airplane for a living but still have a membership in the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. Soooo, Join up!
Cheers, Elliot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 21 2003, 10:52 AM
Post #9

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(robby750 @ Jul 20 2003, 07:47 PM)
It seemed as if you did not own a 911 or a 356, they were not interested in even speaking with you let alone giving your car any attention whatsoever. Have attitudes changed since then?

all depends on the individual Region. if you are an ACTIVE member of a Region long enough, you will have an opportunity to affect attitudes.

IMHO: try it and see. lots of people think it's worth the $46/yr just to get the Panarama and the local newsletter, which will be the best consistent listing of local contacts and activity information. generally, a Region will have 10% active members, and the size of the region and availability of sponsors will affect the number and quality of events and the newsletter. in Sierra Nevada Region, 200 members, 20 active, plus or minus a few. mostly 356 and 911 vintage racers. there were lots of Boxster and new 911 owners registered, but we never saw them except -occasionally- at the Christmas party. they just joined for the publications.

personally, i've had access to local (Region and Zone) listings pay off bigtime when i had mechanical issues away from home.

try it, attend a few social activities, attend the Board and General Membership meetings, introduce yourself and get a feel for the ebb and flow of the Region operations. Regions are all 100% volunteer organizations and most Board members are busy running the region and can't be as outwardly welcoming as they might be. a -little- pro-action on your part here can be very helpful. worst-case, you'll have a year's supply of Panoramas...
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jul 21 2003, 10:58 AM
Post #10

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

I'm a PCA member since 99. I dumped my region in Iowa when I learned that they had one drive and dinner a year. Most of the region was old fahrts that were too busy polishing their cars to drive. When I spoke to the membership chair on the phone, he told me "You might be happier in the region just east of here, they do more stuff".

Screw you, Central Iowa Region!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

So, I transferred to the Maverick region in Texas. Part of your membership fees to to the local region - and since Maverick sponsors the MUSR, that was a natural choice for me.

Between Pano and the Maverick region newsletter, and the 100 dollar certificate, I think I get my annual fees back. SCCA is bigger here in Kansas than PCA... but I still need to see if I can get over to KC for one of the monthly PCA breakfasts.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 21 2003, 11:18 AM
Post #11

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Several points of discussion on the PCA:
1.People use to join in order to find people with the common intrest in thier cars and exchange information. Now, like all of us here, the internet does that for us.

2. I attended the PCA parade this year and I tell you, if PCA doesn't start attracting a younger crowd, there will be no members in 10 years. They'll all be driving those little motorized scooters.

3. The best thing to happen to the PCA has been the formation of Club Racing events.

4. There use to be a strong tie-in to the PCA and pro Porsche events but without a current factory Porsche effort that has hurt.

5. The Panorama is pretty weak on 914 info and who is going to write in with a techincal question and wait two months for an answer? And how much more can be written on the 917 and 962?

6. Yes, most clubs are one of two types- those that autox, Club race or work on the own cars or the social crowd. Not that that is all bad but it is the way it is.

7. As far as the local regions, if you want to get involved with them they will always want/let you. But you have to remember it is all volenteer so you can't push too hard on people (like at work) so at times the running of things can be improved upon.

I've been a member for 14 years and I question every year if I should rejoin.

Paul
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 21 2003, 11:25 AM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I have never been a PCA member and still run ALL their events. Why sign up ?? So I can get Pano in the mail ??

URY is correct.. SCCA nailed it with their new "SpeedFreaks" program (or whatever it is called today) by attracting younger people to the club.

They are however pushing the club when you buy a new Porsche, You automatically get a PCA membership for one year or something like that.

B
+Quote Post
Don Wohlfarth
post Jul 21 2003, 01:52 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 117

I've been a member of the Potomac region for almost 20 years and we have about 2300 members. As a general rule the larger regions are east of the Mississippi. The larger the region the more activities. Smaller regions just don't have the resources, members or dollars, to put on a lot of events.
Paul's comment about the old pharts in PCA is marginally true. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) 20-30 years ago you needed to be at a comfortable financial level before you purchased a Porsche so the owners were a little older. The people that are buying their first Porsche today are considerably younger and they have a large "previously owned" market that wasn't available 20-30 years ago.
POC started on the west coast because there wasn't club racing in PCA until 11 years ago so a lot of people out there don't belong to PCA.
This year the Potomac region will host 11 de events, 9 2-day and 2 3-day, either Sat-Sun or Fri-Sat-Sun. All events will be sold out with waiting lists in green, blue, and white run groups. These events are Porsche only and you have to be a member of PCA to run.
Give PCA a try but don't just sit on the sidelines, get involved, de, ax, concours, social, rally.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 21 2003, 02:01 PM
Post #14

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The Oregon Region PCA practically recruited me especially when they heard I had a 914. This was coming from one of the board members when we met at a dog party (or a party for dog people or... well nevermind!) Anyway, I have found a lot of new friends in this club. More than I thought in such a short time. I tried the Vette club a few years back and found it to be not as out going.
bruce
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 21 2003, 03:12 PM
Post #15

retired

Member No.: 313

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) Im a member of the Metro NY PCA region, we do about 15 DE's a year and are very active in the club race at Watkins Glen. The Metro region does a number of rallies, auto-x and social events. There is no harm in joining the PCA, Pano is an ok mag. Ive met a bunch of really good people through PCA events

My friends and I are kinda the fringe or dark side of the PCA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) , I own 2 Porsches neither is registered or legal to drive on the street. I only do DE's and races, and cant remember the last time I bought some wax for my cars LOL

My 914 is always drawing some attention. Possibly because its usually the only 914 at the event. People also get curious when they (driving a 964 etc) are passed by a 28 year old car. That draws some attention too.

Like Don mentioned Potomac is a big region, Northern New Jersey is huge, Metro is large as well. Between those three chapters you could possibly spend most of the spring , summer and fall on the track! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

There are a bunch of wierd concours people in my club to, Im not that anal about having a clean car though. I believe the were meant to be driven, preferably on a track.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 21 2003, 07:11 PM
Post #16

****************************************************************************************************

My local region will be having a "Fun Concours" at a party next month. One of the catagories is "Most Modified".

I'm thinking I should enter my car...Whata think??

Paul

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 21 2003, 07:19 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I say drop it off the trailer a few blocks away and drive it to the event...LOL

B
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 21 2003, 07:26 PM
Post #18

I'm sure some members will have no f---king idea what the hell kinda car it is.

I gotta get it painted before I go.

Paul
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 21 2003, 07:38 PM
Post #19

just rattle-can it before you go.

There is no way you won't win that category. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 21 2003, 07:49 PM
Post #20

retired

Member No.: 313

I'm sure some members will have no f---king idea what the hell kinda car it is.

heck Maaco or Earl Schieb (are they still in business?)

Paul your car will look sweet when it is painted.. fuck those concourse geeks... so much time cleaning little time driving LOL
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:33 PM