Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does this piston need replaced? (see pic), Dropped exhaust valve from broken spring
dfelz
post Nov 29 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #1

beach bum

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,538
Region Association: Southern California

Had a valve spring failure on cylinder #2 exhaust, engine was cut very quick after the noise since it was in the garage undergoing tuning when it happened so wasn’t on the road driving, and I’m assuming thank thankfully mitigated worse damage. Just got the engine dropped and the head pulled off for the first look inspection. There are minor scuff marks on the piston head, which could be sanded down and only leave very minor scuff marks remaining is my guess from how it looks and feels right now. But would like the opinion of others if this is the route I should go, or should I just replace all four pistons (since I believe they are only sold in sets)??

As for the valves, should I replace all my exhaust valves anyways while I’m in there? I thought I remembered reading at some point that the exhaust valves have a shorter life since they see more heat. I don’t see any damage to the valve and the valve tube still feels perfectly snug with the valve stem. Any consensus on this front? When I rebuilt the engine 8 years back (was only running for first two now been sitting since then) I can’t remember if the valves were replaced new, I can see from the old pictures the springs clearly weren’t new, hence me now having to deal with the broken one...

Any comments appreciated, thanks

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 29 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Looks good to me, but clean it up to double check
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Nov 30 2020, 06:53 PM
Post #3

beach bum

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 29 2020, 06:40 PM) *

Looks good to me, but clean it up to double check

Thanks Mark, I'm gonna clean them up this week and have a better look, but glad to hear a first take view that it should be fine!
+Quote Post
type2man
post Nov 30 2020, 09:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,127
Region Association: South East States

The valve might be bent, so youll have to check it for leaks once you install the new spring. I would remove the cylinder and make sure the piston rings are not binding. Once the valve smashes the piston, it might cause the rings to bind.
+Quote Post
dfelz
post Dec 1 2020, 03:24 PM
Post #5

beach bum

QUOTE(type2man @ Nov 30 2020, 07:22 PM) *

The valve might be bent, so youll have to check it for leaks once you install the new spring. I would remove the cylinder and make sure the piston rings are not binding. Once the valve smashes the piston, it might cause the rings to bind.

Thanks Type2man. I will be splitting the case to look for any remaining fragments of the valve spring to ensure none make their way to the case, rather be safe than sorry, so will be able to inspect the rings as to make sure they aren't binding. Also ordered all new set of valves since i want sure of the age of the valves anyways, again rather be safe than sorry (again) and figured while im in there ill just do a valve job that i know will hold up for miles to come.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:04 AM